Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my keyfob refused to unlock my car. Details explained here in last (#46) post

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/174092-manual-alarm-disabling-with-a-key-2.html#post5639409

I searched this forum for an answer and frankly could find no straight forward solution. Lots of folk seemed to post half information like "do X-Y-Z, this gets you into programming mode" then nothing. What use is that?? :tut: Any explanation needs to be complete - so any dummy can follow it :thumbs:

So, best advice I found was to send my key off to Chris, buying a repair via his eBay service. I contacted him here, by PM and he said "sounds like a key fault. Send to me. If no problem, I will return it and refund cost less postage". Fair enough. Sent key Saturday. He had it Monday. Emailed me that it worked perfectly and he would return and refund my money. I had it back Tuesday. :)

In the meantime I decided to bin the alarm as the car will function without, so I disconnected it but left it in position. For anyone doing this, to remove the wiring plugs from the alarm body, it needs the middle of the top of each plug pressing in, to release it.

It is often stated that the key might not activate the alarm if the aerial around the ignition key is broken. You can tell it is not if, when you turn the key in the ignition so the lights come on and the CODE light goes out, this means that the immobiliser IS connecting with the key. I believe the alarm uses the same aerial (correct me if wrong). So if the code light goes out, the aerial is not the problem.

Anyway, good as his word (STAR BLOKE) Chris gave me the routine needed to re-activate or connect my key to the alarm system.

I disconnected my battery -ve terminal again and re-connected the plugs to the alarm. Shut doors, bonnet and boot and reconnected the battery. The alarm will reset itself and both my keys still did nothing. (If you have not disconnected the alarm, no need for this).

Get in the car and wait for the alarm to shut up! Then pull the battery from the key. Replace it. Press the button twice. Keep doing this till the key works the alarm and locks.

It worked first time for my first key. For the second key, I lock the doors using 1st key (I'm still in the car) and repeat this remove/replace/2 pushes of the button. After 8 or 9 attempts, the key reconnects with the alarm and BINGO. I have 2 functioning keys again :thumbs:

Chris advises that this usually works in less than 10 attempts but he has known one person take 35 goes.

If it still will not engage, either dump the alarm of spend ££££s with your dealer.

I hope this helps. This is specifically on my 156 but probably works on 147/GT too.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Minor correction: the alarm and immobiliser (Code) are totally separate - the aerial around the ignition switch is just for the immobiliser.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm having same issues recently. Initially I thought it may be due to the car still being on the original 9yr old battery. The car battery has now been replaced with no improvement in the alarm system. The fob will lock and alarm the car but on return will only unlock the car but doesn't disarm the alarm, as soon as you open a door the alarm goes off.
I've now changed both batteries in my two key fobs and still no improvement. I don't think it's the key fobs. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 156 did this to me at work yesterday.. i had been using the key to lock it without using the remote as the key has been playing up a bit recently and the boot release has only worked one in around 3 attempts (or just as i have leaned down to reach the manual release having pressed it about 20times from the boot down the side of the car as soon as i get near that manual release the boot pops!) haha, so anyway, locked it with the key and as i walked away it "peeped" to say the alarm was set, (even though i didnt set it) walked back up opened door with key and alarm goes off, turned the key to mar and left it there alarm resets (as stated in manual) drove it home without an issue and when i moved it 20yards onto my drive that evening, alarm will not stop going off, (just the hazard lights no siren) just tried this simple routine (must admit i was dubious nothing on alfas is this simple!) my master key seems goosed, the led doesnt even light up, however tried it on my spare which has never worked as long as i have had the car and hey presto it works!

thanks to jeronimo for a very helpful thread! :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So do you leave the (other) key in the ignition MAR position while pressing the buttons on the second fob? Or are you pressing buttons on the fob which is in the ignition (guessing it doesn't matter tbh).

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a battery inside the alarm unit? Something's not right with mine, i can arm it no problem but can only occasionally disarm it. Currently the alarm is armed, i can get in the car with the key, the indicators all flash for ~10 seconds but no siren, and as soon as I stop the car and open the door again, the indicators all start flashing again before going off. This is a PITA. Not sure whether i need to chuck money at it, or just rip it out and install a new system e.g. Clifford. I'm intending keeping the car, had it nearly 5 yrs now.

·
Banned
447 Posts
Yes, there is a battery inside the alarm unit and that battery should be replaced.
Also, there are a few settings for the alarm which can be set using FES or Examiner.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thanks mate, I thought you or Bogdan might come good on this. That battery is the first thing to look at then.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A full reset using Examiner had the alarm working again. There were a lot of faults stored and some odd errors in there. Will see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I seem to be having a similar problem. It's become harder to arm/disarm the alarm and locks so I changed the battery in the key, but it seems that a previous owner had already done this and applied some form of glue to the part that holds the battery in to the fob. But, it's already 12 years old and the little tag that allows you to attach the key to a keyring has long since disappeared I'm wondering whether to just buy a new one.

Or is that ridiculously expensive?

Or is there another alternative?

Alternatively, is the battery holder being not quite in the right position a known fault?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The key contains the chip that is required to disarm the immobiliser and allow the car to be started. I once priced a key for my previous 156. It was ~£150 and that was over 5 yrs ago. Plus £10 fee for accessing the international security register.

Anyway that reset has only lasted a week so there is a problem needing addressed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The key contains the chip that is required to disarm the immobiliser and allow the car to be started. I once priced a key for my previous 156. It was ~£150 and that was over 5 yrs ago. Plus £10 fee for accessing the international security register.

Anyway that reset has only lasted a week so there is a problem needing addressed.
Might be cheaper to buy a new car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts