Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a Mito which is the cream coloured (off white colour). Some C*** has key'd my passenger side door and it is down to the metal about 4inches long.

I want a cheap repair that will stop it rusting as it is down to the metal and not be so obvious to the eye. I don't want to get it sprayed as I have to street park where I live and the likely hood of a scratch happening again is quite likely!!

Do these magic pens actually work? I'm guessing I will need to laquer it then get it covered over with a colour similar to mine... Which could be quite hard to find being cream.

Any ideas cheers?

·
Registered
345 Posts
The paint layers go primer, colour, lacquer... you wouldn't put colour on top of lacquer!

If you're not after something perfect, but want something easy to apply where if you screw up it's easy to undo, then you could try a kit from chipex or dr colourchip. Chipex paint (and probably dr colourchip too) uses a different solvent to the original paint, which means the "blending solution" it comes with can be used to remove it if you make a mess without damaging existing paint. I've always found it hard to get the chipex paint to stay in scratches/chips following their instructions, mind you.

An alfa touch up paint thing, or a touch up kit from somewhere like paints4u, is a lot cheaper than chipex (and in theory would be a closer match looks-wise), but with proper touch up paint you need to be much more careful with applying it. There are plenty of guides around on the internet to doing scratch touch ups with touch up paint... basically carefully build up paint layers with fine artists brush and then finish with polish or wet sand I think.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts