Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I got an Alfa 159 with one key that doesn't work. It starts the engine and the manual key unlocks and locks the boot but not one button on it works. It's not the battery as the guy I bought it from tried that.

So any ideas what else it could be to fixing it?

And how much is a replacement?

Can the fake/online/copy keys be trusted? Any stories?

Ideally would be good to fix this one as it's quicker and cheaper?

Thanks,
Leo

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fob probably needs replacement, I had a similar issue with my 159 and it eventually ended in the key no longer recognising the fob and me needing a new key being made which was about £400 (not saying this is what will happen to you, just my experience!)

I did shop around for options but apparently the keys are made to order in Italy and can only take one code once, so you can't use another key from anywhere else. The previous owner of my car did have this idea of swapping the ignition cylinder and key from a matched pair of another 159 and coding the immobilizer to it instead.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

Guy

·
Premium Member
7,917 Posts
maybe re-registering it to your car will work ....
Either the dealer could do it, or you could use MultiEcuScan.
You need to (re)register all existing keys in one go.....
see f.i.

Attachments

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
6,072 Posts
maybe re-registering it to your car will work ....
Either the dealer could do it, or you could use MultiEcuScan.
You need to (re)register all existing keys in one go.....
see f.i.
As far as I'm aware you cannot re register keys using that system...just program new ones. You only need to use the old ones to enable new keys to be added to the BCMs list...if you don't only the new key will work...but the car will "forget" all the old ones.

·
Premium Member
7,917 Posts
As far as I'm aware you cannot re register keys using that system...just program new ones. You only need to use the old ones to enable new keys to be added to the BCMs list...if you don't only the new key will work...but the car will "forget" all the old ones.
Yes you can re-register existing keys. This is in order to enable adding new keys, otherwise you would never be able to do this ;)
As said, if you do not do this the car will forget all existing, originally programmed keys
What you CANNOT do is re-program a key from another car, as the chip can only be programmed once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts