Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main button on one of my keys stopped working yesterday, no resistance on it, so I was certain the microswitch had failed.

I've had a bit of trouble overall with my keys. Both of them have been to Chris in the past to sort out the internals, and I have replaced the cases on both of them recently too (of course, the latter is probably what made the microswitch fail!

So I was certain I'd be sending to Chris again, but decided to take apart out of interest - I could hear a rattle inside, so wanted a look at exactly what had fallen off.

Turns out the microswitch hadn't detached from the circuit board, it'd just fallen apart itself. What fell out of the case when I took it apart was two rectangular convex sheets of metal, one rubber piece with a button, and one metal casement part to the switch.

Reasoning that the rubber button must be intended to press the two sheet together to make a contact, I carefully placed the lot back together in the microswitch casement, and hey presto! It works again.

All I could do to try to avoid it falling apart again was the pinch the lower edges of the case together by hand, and didn't dare to do so too hard though, so anyone's guess how long before it falls apart again.

And, as always, I've been completely unable to remove the badge to get at the screw without marking it. How on Earth do people do so?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I use a razor blade mate. Never marks for me :)

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As in literally a double edged razor blade? Good idea - I used a stanley knife blade, but still wasn't slim enough to avoid a mark.

Mind you, I'd probably lose a thumb if I tried to use a razor blade.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
You should be able to do it with a stanley mate. :). No not double edged. I value my fingers :lol:

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WIth the original key case (metal badge) it resulted in denting the case itself. With the new one (plastic / sticker badge) it's scratched the badge itself.

Maybe I'm just cack-handed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts