Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please answer a question I have. I did have three keys with my 2002 GTV V6 but the garage has called today and they have lost or misplaced the red key with Alfa emblem - don’t think the keys open the car remotely but can anyone tell me if it’s just a case of cutting another key or has the key got a chip / transponder in it? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yes, they have a transponder in the key, do you have 2 x keys left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Finster

·
Registered
200 Posts
If one of your remaining keys is the master key (it's purplish / dark red in colour) then you can use that to add a new key with transponder chip to the car for the immobiliser (without the need to clone the transponder). If you don't have the master key, you'll need to have the transponder chip from one of the other keys cloned.

Did the lost key operate the remote central locking as well? If so you'll need to unlock the receiver using the key card (a bit of card with some numbers written on it) to program the new key with remote on it into the receiver. If you don't have the key code you'll need to dump the eeprom from the receiver and decode the contents to get the unlock code.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If one of your remaining keys is the master key (it's purplish / dark red in colour) then you can use that to add a new key with transponder chip to the car for the immobiliser (without the need to clone the transponder). If you don't have the master key, you'll need to have the transponder chip from one of the other keys cloned.

Did the lost key operate the remote central locking

as well? If so you'll need to unlock the receiver using the key card (a bit of card with some numbers written on it) to program the new key with remote on it into the receiver. If you don't have the key code you'll need to dump the eeprom from the receiver and decode the contents to get the unlock code.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk
When you say central locking do you mean when the key is in the door lock so it opens both doors?

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
There are two types of key that come with later 916s. And there are two parts to the car’s security. First off is the alarm. This is armed/disarmed by pressing the button either on the key or on a separate fob. This should also lock or unlock the doors. The second part is the immobiliser. A transponder chip in the key sends a code which if correct allows the car to start.

I believe the reason for the different keys is down to where the car was bought. A UK car should have a Meta alarm (a 2002 will have the M99 T2) which is Thatcham approved. The other type is the ‘continental’ alarm found on cars bought in Europe. Many Alfas of that era were bought tax free by squaddies in Germany. Some of these were full UK spec including the alarm others were just right hand drive.

Each car came with 4 keys. The burgundy ‘master’ that can be used to program new keys to operate the immobiliser (I think but not 100%), two red every day keys with a coloured Alfa badge and a valet key which has limited functionality and is also red with no colour badge

Each car also came with a grey card with a code for manually inputting the immobiliser code in the event of the transponder not working and Meta alarms had a red plastic card with a code for ordering more fobs and I think there was something similar for the other alarm type.

If you need a new every day key without the built in alarm button then Timpsons will do it for about £40 but it will be a generic key not an Alfa one. If you need more Meta fobs, speak to Abacus Alarms. Cost depends on whether you have the red card. If not, they can reprogram your ECU and supply new fobs. The other type of key with the integral button is much more difficult to sort.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are two types of key that come with later 916s. And there are two parts to the car’s security. First off is the alarm. This is armed/disarmed by pressing the button either on the key or on a separate fob. This should also lock or unlock the doors. The second part is the immobiliser. A transponder chip in the key sends a code which if correct allows the car to start.

View attachment 955149
I believe the reason for the different keys is down to where the car was bought. A UK car should have a Meta alarm (a 2002 will have the M99 T2) which is Thatcham approved. The other type is the ‘continental’ alarm found on cars bought in Europe. Many Alfas of that era were bought tax free by squaddies in Germany. Some of these were full UK spec including the alarm others were just right hand drive.

Each car came with 4 keys. The burgundy ‘master’ that can be used to program new keys to operate the immobiliser (I think but not 100%), two red every day keys with a coloured Alfa badge and a valet key which has limited functionality and is also red with no colour badge

Each car also came with a grey card with a code for manually inputting the immobiliser code in the event of the transponder not working and Meta alarms had a red plastic card with a code for ordering more fobs and I think there was something similar for the other alarm type.

If you need a new every day key without the built in alarm button then Timpsons will do it for about £40 but it will be a generic key not an Alfa one. If you need more Meta fobs, speak to Abacus Alarms. Cost depends on whether you have the red card. If not, they can reprogram your ECU and supply new fobs. The other type of key with the integral button is much more difficult to sort.
Thank you for the information- really appreciated. So I have the key without the button and have the Meta card with digits on it, one of each key (three left) but the one the garage has lost is the red with Alfa emblem on. I have no separate fob for alarm but I think the alarm has been removed (probably went wrong sometime again). So I just need a key with transmitter for immobiliser and buy a red Alfa casing. Then I might look at retro fitting an alarm?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Thank you for the information- really appreciated. So I have the key without the button and have the Meta card with digits on it, one of each key (three left) but the one the garage has lost is the red with Alfa emblem on. I have no separate fob for alarm but I think the alarm has been removed (probably went wrong sometime again). So I just need a key with transmitter for immobiliser and buy a red Alfa casing. Then I might look at retro fitting an alarm?
Speak to Sam at Abacus Alarms. The connector for the Meta is under the stereo. Easiest way to get to it is to remove the carpet bit on the passenger side, 3 Torx bits I think. A new ECU will be plug and play.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Speak to Sam at Abacus Alarms. The connector for the Meta is under the stereo. Easiest way to get to it is to remove the carpet bit on the passenger side, 3 Torx bits I think. A new ECU will be plug and play.
Funny you should say that as I have the carpets and console out as the car as having a full respray and completely rust proofed! I found a wiring loom behind the console and wondered what it was - I didn’t see a separate siren in the car however, think it is supposed to be by the drivers wheel arch?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
The siren should be under the driver’s side headlight cover. They are often the cause of problems with the alarm as they have a lithium battery which will degrade over time and they can drain the battery as they try to recharge. I think the siren is coded to the main ECU... Abacus should be able to advise you on that. I bought their Meta HPA ECU and have a second button on the fob for opening the boot. I also got a new siren without battery back up as I figure a. It’s less to go wrong and b. If no one has reacted to the alarm in the time it takes a thief to break in and find the battery or siren and disconnect it then nobody will.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The siren should be under the driver’s side headlight cover. They are often the cause of problems with the alarm as they have a lithium battery which will degrade over time and they can drain the battery as they try to recharge. I think the siren is coded to the main ECU... Abacus should be able to advise you on that. I bought their Meta HPA ECU and have a second button on the fob for opening the boot. I also got a new siren without battery back up as I figure a. It’s less to go wrong and b. If no one has reacted to the alarm in the time it takes a thief to break in and find the battery or siren and disconnect it then nobody will.
Thank you so much, have emailed abacus alarms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts