Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a definate answer. I have searched just about every thread on here and there are lots of different opinions.
I have a 2002 156 with the 2 button flip out key.
My problem is the guy i got the car off lost the immobiliser chip out of the key when if opened it.
I have got a second hand key exactly the same. Can i take the key blade from the original key and put it in the donor.
I have heard the car gets programed to the key. Not the key to the car.
Is this true.?
Both keys have A602 and 3 ez etched im to the blade. So they are definately the same.
Does anyone know if the donor key can be programed as i have to start the car by putting in the immobiliser code in using the accelerator. Which is a pain in the ****. And so is the £200 quote from alfa for a new key.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I don't believe this will work. However, if you know someone with the Examiner software (a dealer or an independent garage) they should be able to make the car accept the transponder in the key.

I've often considered gluing my one (and only) transponder chip to the inside of my steering column shroud....!

M

·
0 Posts
I can confirm it will not work as there is a roling code in them as you cant even copy code 2 or 3 keys

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
The definitive answer is, there is no definitive answer, and I'm not being flippant. As far as I can tell, reading all these threads is that sometimes it can be done, sometimes it can't. Chris the key master knows as much as anyone, so worth searching his posts. TBH, I would save yourself the grief and pay the £200.

M

·
0 Posts
I know these systems inside out and there is noway of even recoding a lost key from that car back in not alone a key that never belonged to the car...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I can confirm it will not work as there is a roling code in them as you cant even copy code 2 or 3 keys
That isn't right. It is the remote lock/unlock/alarm circuit that has the rolling code and that a car is easily coded to accept a different board, providing it is the same type of board and so is compatible - there are a few revisions between cars. Even AlfaDiag can do this, never mind Examiner. The transponder for the immobiliser is 'dumb'. It gets exited by the signal from the car and supplies a frequency which the car either accepts or doesn't. That frequency doesn't change, it is always the same, but of course the car has to be told which frequencies it is allowed to accept.

Coding the car to accept a new transponder is possible but only if it is the same revision of transponder, i.e. to be broad, a car with code 2 won't accept code 3, early code 2 doesn't like later code 2 (one is a black lozenge the other a glass tube so easy to spot). That said the jury is out on if it works or not every time. Plenty of people say yes but only using Examiner (so far as I know). Some dealers manage to do it and some don't and I suspect there is some hidden factor to do with ECU revisions in there somewhere. So far as I can tell, if you tell the dealer that 'the key just stopped working' they can manage to get the car to accept it, if you say it is a different one they will tell you it doesn't work (go figure). But then sometimes it really doesn't work and it is an expensive trail and error!

If anyone is interested, I have a pile of different transponders. We need someone who will go to the bother of trying to get their car to accept them (noting the ECU revision and year of car) then try someone else and so on until we have a better idea of what works and what doesn't. Until then it seems to be a bit hit and miss as to if it works or not.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I know these systems inside out and there is noway of even recoding a lost key from that car back in not alone a key that never belonged to the car...
Which systems/car models are you referring to? Not the 156/147 as you most certainly can code the car to accept a 'lost' key remote which is an original to the car. Cars often forget their remotes (for sometimes inexplicable reasons) and re-coding is simple (with the correct software). I can't see any reason why a car would ever forget the transponder, so that can't be what you mean.

With respect mate, are you talking about the same systems?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
To add some mystery...........I ordered a new remote from the dealer, when it arrived I bought my car in to get both keys setup. Somehow the dealer forgot to setup up the original key while setting up the new key and hence only the new key would work, the dealer had to order another key from Italy at their own expense.

Got 2 new keys now which work correctly except the indicators now dont flash when using the remote.............so it needs to go back again

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I think there is an element of dealers not understanding how the system works here. A good indi should have no problem (infact i have been told thats the case by my local one, Alfatechnico. They appeared to know all about the various issues).

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
My brother (a long time Alfa mechanic), can relearn a new key with Examiner, but when he does he locks himself in the car so not to be disturbed and performs the operation. If you type in one wrong character the keysystem is destroyed. You have to do the whole cyclus in one go, takes about 5 minutes.
No wonder that many Alfa dealerships don't do this trick...
the clue is that it does not happen all to often so the operation
can't be learned by heart.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone got alfa examiner down south who is willing to give it a go.
I have the car and the key.
It looks like the only way to find out for sure is to try myself.
I dont fancy giving my hard earned to an alfa dealer though only to be disappointed. :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try Smaky. He's in Wiltshire, I think...
im pretty sure he uses alfa diag. and im sure it cant be done with that.
it needs to be the propper fiat\alfa examiner.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I do have Examiner, but I don't like coding in keys, it's such a precise opperation and should you go wrong you can lock out the code box and ECU, this is the one jod I would recommend you have done at a dealer, at least when they balls it up you get 3 new keys from them.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I do have Examiner, but I don't like coding in keys, it's such a precise opperation and should you go wrong you can lock out the code box and ECU, this is the one jod I would recommend you have done at a dealer, at least when they balls it up you get 3 new keys from them.
Well that looks like a definitive answer. Yes you can do it providing you use examiner and providing the person operating Examiner doesn't **** it up.
Smaky, any experience with differing key types, transponder types?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts