Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all!
In the last few days ive been having some issues with the keys of my SW. From time to time, when i put the key in its designated slot, I only hear a click,but the check lights do not come up.When I repeat the drill, everything works fine. I have 2 keys - 1 has obviously not been used at all, but it does that with both keys. Is it the key fobs,or the key reader?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery got nothing to do with the keyfob, it's only for the remote functions of your key.
I doubt it would be the key fobs, since the issue appeared all of a sudden with both keys, so it is highly unlikely that they both go bad at the same time. Especially when I only tend to use one and not switch between them all the time.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I doubt it would be the key fobs, since the issue appeared all of a sudden with both keys, so it is highly unlikely that they both go bad at the same time. Especially when I only tend to use one and not switch between them all the time.
I think that i used the wrong word, i said keyfob but it should be the holder uou put your key in that is placed in the dash.
I was trying to say that the battery got nothing to do with the system, it doesnt use it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that i used the wrong word, i said keyfob but it should be the holder uou put your key in that is placed in the dash.
I was trying to say that the battery got nothing to do with the system, it doesnt use it.
It did it again today. I can hear a clicking noise when I insert the fob. Battery connections are just fine, had them checked.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you read it out yet, that wil probably put you on the right track.
I checked it not long ago and there were no error codes stored. Will have a look at it tonight again, just in case, but there is no error message, like when it says that key is not recognized.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi

I don't really know but isn't the key fob locked into place? It would probably do this by operating a solenoid which might 'click' if the hole in the fob isn't lined up with the soleniods locking rod (because it hits the fob body) The repeated clicking might be its attempt to find the hole. If the hole is lined up there would be little or no click.

If it's both keys then the issue would be in the receptacle for the fob - something stuck down there?

Anyway - hope you solve it - lets us know though.

Cheers
James

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi

I don't really know but isn't the key fob locked into place? It would probably do this by operating a solenoid which might 'click' if the hole in the fob isn't lined up with the soleniods locking rod (because it hits the fob body) The repeated clicking might be its attempt to find the hole. If the hole is lined up there would be little or no click.

If it's both keys then the issue would be in the receptacle for the fob - something stuck down there?

Anyway - hope you solve it - lets us know though.

Cheers
James
Hi, James,
The click is just once, not repeatedly, but you might be right. I will look into that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, James,
The click is just once, not repeatedly, but you might be right. I will look into that.
Today I tried starting the engine even if no light came up after inserting the fob and to my amusement It started. Honestly I expected the Key not recognized message, but it was not the case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts