hello
my alfa have the red key system
i want to know if and where i can get online the entire key system
with the black fob key?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
is the black fob for an alarm or is that the master key?

the red keys can be bought on ebay BUT these replacement keys need to be programmed into your car's sytem via Examiner, which is a dealer /large Indy jobbie

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Nope the red key is the master key. Lose that and your ****ed. Thats why they changed it to code 3 black key fob. Keep an eye on ebay or try autolusso for a key set.

N

·
0 Posts
Can we have a key sticky thread please?

:lol:

Pre facelift 156s have the redkey/blackkey system.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Can we have a key sticky thread please?

:lol:

Pre facelift 156s have the redkey/blackkey system.
Exactly.
Pre about 2000 was the black key red key code 1 system then it went to the black key 3 button type and then code 3 2 button type early 2001 i think although dont quote me on that.
With the red and black key the red key is the master key Alfa changed the system because if you lost the red key you were in all sorts of trouble.
So they replaced it with a system where the car holds the key code and if you lose the key you can simply order a new key and have it coded at a dealer. all be it at a horendous cost.
Although i may have finaly cracked a way of getting a new key for a lot cheaper than going through the alfa dealer (£200).
But only with keys with 3 etched in to the key blade.
I may be able to do it with code 2's also but havent experimented yet.
I will update the forum with the outcome on tuesday as i am sure quite a few people would like a second key for reasonable money.

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
Exactly.
Pre about 2000 was the black key red key code 1 system then it went to the black key 3 button type and then code 3 2 button type early 2001 i think although dont quote me on that.
With the red and black key the red key is the master key Alfa changed the system because if you lost the red key you were in all sorts of trouble.
NO......
THE 156 NEVER HAD THE CODE 1 MASTER KEY SYSTEM... :cheese:

Pre about 2001 156 had the Code 2 system, which had two identical red keys, both remote.
After about 2001 the 156 changed to two identical black keys, again both remote.

NO MASTER KEYS.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
NO......
THE 156 NEVER HAD THE CODE 1 MASTER KEY SYSTEM... :cheese:

Pre about 2001 156 had the Code 2 system, which had two identical red keys, both remote.
After about 2001 the 156 changed to two identical black keys, again both remote.

NO MASTER KEYS.... :rolleyes:

Ok i stand corrected. although i did say dont quote me.:lol:

Either way i have found a source for blank transponder chips so you can code a second hand key to the ecu allowing you to code the key to the car which can not be done with a second hand key as it has already been coded to a cars immobiliser. (once coded they can not be overwriten rendering a second hand key useless) You can code the remote central locking and alarm an infinate amount of times but you can only code the immobiliser transponder chip once.
This is true for a code 3 key. Im not sure about code 2 as i have not tryed it yet.

DavidC do you know what the difference is between the 2 button and 3 button type black key fob.?
I take it they are both code 3.?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The flaw in your plan is that the 156's ECU can handle up to eight different imobiliser codes, plus you don't code the key, you programme the cars ECU to accept the keys imobiliser code. Whether the keys chip can be over written or not doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The flaw in your plan is that the 156's ECU can handle up to eight different imobiliser codes, plus you don't code the key, you programme the cars ECU to accept the keys imobiliser code. Whether the keys chip can be over written or not doesn't matter.
Errrrrr. thats where you are 500% wrong.
The cars ecu holds the immobiliser code. YOU CODE THE KEY TO THE CAR.
If you dont believe me phone your local dealer and ask for the immobiliser code for your car. they will ask for your reg or chassis number and give you the number in exchange for 20 quid.
How can they do this. BECAUSE THE CODE IS STORED ON YOUR ECU FROM WHEN IT LEAVES THE FACTORY.
Have you ever tried to code a key to a car using alfa examiner. (obviously not).
I have.
You enter the immobiliser code and the car searches for a transponder chip to code to.
Unfortunately you dont code the car to the key.
It is the other way round.
And you cant code a second hand key because the transponder is only designed to be coded once.
The only way to do it with a second hand key is to use a blank transponder chip inside it.
But these are extremely difficult to get hold of.
Probably has something to do with Alfa Romeo quite liking the £200 they make each time someone needs a new key.
Im not getting at you but im trying to keep it factual and what you have just said is missleading and completly wrong.
Someone could buy a second hand key and find out they have completely wasted there money and payed for a key that is useless.

You did get the 8 keys bit right though. ;-)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Errrrrr. thats where you are 500% wrong.
The cars ecu holds the immobiliser code. YOU CODE THE KEY TO THE CAR.
If you dont believe me phone your local dealer and ask for the immobiliser code for your car. they will ask for your reg or chassis number and give you the number in exchange for 20 quid.
How can they do this. BECAUSE THE CODE IS STORED ON YOUR ECU FROM WHEN IT LEAVES THE FACTORY.
Have you ever tried to code a key to a car using alfa examiner. (obviously not).
I have.
You enter the immobiliser code and the car searches for a transponder chip to code to.
Unfortunately you dont code the car to the key.
It is the other way round.
And you cant code a second hand key because the transponder is only designed to be coded once.
The only way to do it with a second hand key is to use a blank transponder chip inside it.
But these are extremely difficult to get hold of.
Probably has something to do with Alfa Romeo quite liking the £200 they make each time someone needs a new key.
Im not getting at you but im trying to keep it factual and what you have just said is missleading and completly wrong.
Someone could buy a second hand key and find out they have completely wasted there money and payed for a key that is useless.
You have been doing some homework Crespo,at least somebody understands how it works:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You have been doing some homework Crespo,at least somebody understands how it works:thumbs:
Thank you ALFATUNER.
I am on the brink of a breakthrough as well.
I have some blank transponder chips arriving on tuesday and all going well (if they work) i will be offering them for sale on here.
Finally giving people a cheap alternative to buying a new key from alfa romeo.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
hello
my alfa have the red key system
i want to know if and where i can get online the entire key system
with the black fob key?
Meanwhile, back to your question :lol:

You can replace all the locks and transfer your immobiliser chips to the black keys. That will work the ignition but the remote alarm and remote locking circuit board will not fit in a black key. At least you are half way there.

You either stop using the remote functions or start to think about changing the ECU etc. Personally that sounds like far to much work just to have a better key design.

You could use your old red key as an alarm/door fob only if you saw the blade off?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
My post is based on the fact that there are several people on this board who have posted that they have managed to use Ebay Code 3 keys. My local indi also tells me he has done it.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My post is based on the fact that there are several people on this board who have posted that they have managed to use Ebay Code 3 keys. My local indi also tells me he has done it.

Having personaly tried it with the old alfa examiner and the most recent which will connect with the brerra and 159 and Maserati i have failed with every attempt.
Im not just going with just my own experiance either.
Im lucky enough to know a couple of very good alfa indi's with alfa examiner and they have never succeeded in coding a second hand key.
Im not saying it hasnt been done but the chances are lottery slim and at £35+ a try it can become as expensive as buying a new key.
I have been told by a Alfa Romeo Technician that it cant be done and various indi's and every auto locksmith i have approched and they wont touch the alfa code 3 system for this very reason.
I disregarded what i was told and tried anyway.
Only to find out they were right.
The only way to do it is with a blank chip
When you attempt to find a key that has already been coded alfa examiner informs you that there is no transponder in range or it is the wrong type even though the key is in the ignition.
Like i said earlyer you can program the remote function all day long on a second hand key as it can be overwriten as many times as you want. (to activate the central locking and alarm)
Maybe this is what you were reading or were told about.
But the simple fact is that when the IMMOBILISER chip has been coded that is it, it cant be done again.

The immobiliser and central locking/alarm function are two seperate things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts