Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Bear with me here... Can someone help answer some issues I have with keyfobs - any Alfa techs reading?

I changed a battery in one of my keyfobs (key 1), obviously took too long with it and when I attempted to open the car it wouldn't work. My wife brought in the 2nd key (key 2) to my work and that didn't work either.

I then paid Alfa to recode the two keys at a cost of £70. Key 1 then worked again until I pressed the boot open button. Back to square one again, neither keys 1 or 2 disarmed the alarm (incidentally I could start the car but the alarm was going off).

Called Alfa dealer who said key 1 must be broken, I need a new key. I stated this can't be right as the key worked perfectly 1 day ago. The dealer offered to try again.

On this basis I bought a 2nd hand key (key 3). I took key 3 to the dealer to be coded instead of key 1. The dealer called back to say the key was definetly broken. I stated it was a different key.

Now they are telling me they cannot code a key from a different car onto my car . Is this right?

Can anyone verify this as I will not pay them the £116 for a key plus an hour labour £76 to code it (1 hour to punch in two numbers - come off it :mad: !!!).

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
this sounds more like the problems with the car rather that the keys. could be both (sorry to be unhelpful).
I didn't know you could 'take too long' changing a battery in a keyfob?? One of ours is faulty, I believe the contacts with the battery are dodgy, but so far no problems like you describe.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The battery in the key is used for the alarm and the central locking. It shouldn't matter how long it takes to change the battery but I'm no expert.

Do you have a red LED on the fob and does it blink when you press either button. If it stays on or doesn't blink then maybe the connections to the battery are poor....also check that the battery is the right way round (not upside down).

The microswitches in your fob could also be on their way out.

Try pressing the buttons several times to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the new key (key 3 blinks). Key 2 is currently working perfectly. And the light on key 1 was staying on occasionally, making the dealer state it was gubbed.

I don't like having only one working key to the car, hence the reason for trying to get another.

I'm now considering getting a Toad alarm installed for less than the price of a new key, allowing the Alfa alarm to be isolated.

Apparently they will operate the doors and boot as per the current arrangement.

Although I would still like to know whether I can code the 2nd hand key to my car.

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
You can code another key to your car, you have to tell the ECU to accept the code from the Key is all.

The fact that both keys didn`t work seems suspicious and I wonder if it isn't the key but the security ECU that's dodgy. Possibly it is actually the remote pickup that isn't happy. I *think* its around the back of the car on a 147 but someone else may know more accurately. Can you get them to work if you are at the back of the car?

Either way, get away from that dealer and go somewhere else. They don`t seem to know what to do. They clearly charged you to code acceptance of two keys that were already coded to work :tut:

If the light stays on all of the time its because the key needs to be 'reset' as the battery connection has been intermittent whils the new one was being fitted (this is not the same a sa time limit (there is no time limit). I noticed this when repairing my keys. Remove the battery again and reinsert. Give the key a physical squeeze if necessary and press the button a few times. It is most likely to be a battery connection thing so you may need to disassemble the key and make the battery connections more forceful with some gentle cleaning and bending. Don`t panic, it isn`t that hard to do. There is one screw for the battery and one under the Alfa logo. Be careful you don`t lose any little bits from the key

<edit> you may also have a broken microswitch as micheald says. You should be able to see this when you open the key up. To fix this you need a soldering iron and a new switch - have a search on the forum for how to do this.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Personally I try to steer clear of any aftermarket stuff, alarms are a case in point. The Alfa one might not be the most reliable but by the time your wiring looms been 'got at'.......

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK guys thanks for the advice.

Anyone know of "decent" Alfa dealers in west central Scotland?

A complaint letter will be heading off to the manager of the dealership I suspect.

Thanks

Alan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts