Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i switch the key in the ignition it will only work if I do it the second the glow plugs switch off, or earlier.

If I wait for longer than a second after the glow plug light has gone out the key will not turn in the ignition.

I have not had the car long at all (a 147 jtd mjet lusso 55 plate), so have not had time to experiment.

It is nothing to do with the steering lock, i have wiggled the steering wheel to death.

Is this normal ignition behaviour?

I cant imagine what purpose this serves.

·
Registered
883 Posts
That's sounds impossible what your describing. Have you tried turning the key with the battery disconnected.. But I can't really see a link with electrics and the movement of a key

·
Registered
16 Posts
Both my Alfa's do this, turn key to on wait for glow plug light to turn off and you can't turn the key....I just thought it was an Alfa thing, so I just give it a few secs and don't wait for the light to go out.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
When you turn the key, be careful not to turn past the MAR stage even by a few degrees. Be light-handed with it and then complete turn.

My 147 used to do this but if you go past MAR even slightly then stop, then continue to the ignition it doesn't like it.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
When you turn the key, be careful not to turn past the MAR stage even by a few degrees. Be light-handed with it and then complete turn.

My 147 used to do this but if you go past MAR even slightly then stop, then continue to the ignition it doesn't like it.
I've got a 1.6 TS and stated it is very easy to go past the point of no return. I think it is to stop you from trying to restart the engine while it is still running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts