Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reet, lots and lots of questions relating to my new 1998 S plate GTV but ill start with thi sone:

Car came with one red key only and this is it,

it operates all the locks fine but despite changing the batteries in it i cant get (what i think is) the remote part working - Any ideas or is it dead ?

Also what are the options available to me to get new keys ?

finally Does my car have an alarm system as standard ?
Above the petrol cap release button on the left of the steering wheel there is a small light which looks like an alarm light - I have never seen it flash or light up and obviously with the remote part of the key not workiing i cant switch any alarm that may be fitted on or off

again any ideas or advice ?

Hope that all makes sense,

dave

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's likely the small microswitch under the black bit on the key (what you need to press to remotely lock/unlock the car) has seperated from the small PCB in the key. The switch is soldered but those solder joints are the only things holding the switch fixed in place.

Every time you press the switch, you put pressure on the solder-joints which they cannot handle that well -hence over time they just fail and the micro switch comes loose from the PCB.

Simple solution; re-solder the switch and it'll work again. I've fixed more than one (remote) key like that.

Cheers
Martijn

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reet, lots and lots of questions relating to my new 1998 S plate GTV but ill start with thi sone:

Car came with one red key only and this is it,

it operates all the locks fine but despite changing the batteries in it i cant get (what i think is) the remote part working - Any ideas or is it dead ?

Also what are the options available to me to get new keys ?

finally Does my car have an alarm system as standard ?
Above the petrol cap release button on the left of the steering wheel there is a small light which looks like an alarm light - I have never seen it flash or light up and obviously with the remote part of the key not workiing i cant switch any alarm that may be fitted on or off

again any ideas or advice ?

Hope that all makes sense,

dave
I have the same problem although I will add that the red light on the key flashes when pressed.
Any ideas/suggestions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts