Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've fitted a Kenwood replacement head unit to my 2008 Spider as the old sat nav unit had many problems. The sound is great, but it looses settings, stations, etc when turning the ignition off. Ive tried switching the red and yellow live and switch wires, but with them crossed I just loose the stereo completely, so I'm thinking the Spider only gives a switched live. Its been fitted using the steering wheel adapter lead as advised on here. Im at a bit of a loss and Ive fitted plenty of headunits before? Any ideas?

Headunit is a Kenwood DNN9150DAB.
Lead is Connects 2 CTSAR002.2 with patch lead

Steering controls work, dab seems to work with the splitter into original aerial, GPS works on the original lead from OE sat nav. Just the settings/stations?

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
It's the standard problem, you don't have a switched +12......
switching red/yellow is not enough, as you're missing a power connection in the loom..... You will need to add a switched +12.
yellow should be connected to constant +12, red to switched.....

originally you had radio power connected to permanent +12, and memory to a not connected (NC) connection so radio works, but memory not retained.
If you switch connections, radio doesn't have power anymore (NC), but memory (would be) retained....

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the standard problem, you don't have a switched +12......
switching red/yellow is not enough, as you're missing a power connection in the loom..... You will need to add a switched +12.
yellow should be connected to constant +12, red to switched.....

originally you had radio power connected to permanent +12, and memory to a not connected (NC) connection so radio works, but memory not retained.
If you switch connections, radio doesn't have power anymore (NC), but memory (would be) retained....
Thanks for the reply, I get what you mean. Where is the best place to pick up a switched live?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easiest is from the cigarette lighter connection....
Thanks, Ive had advice on how to get to the area that houses the cigar socket, so will have a go at this soon.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, struggling with this, now have 2 x 12v switched lives and still no permanent lives, so head unit still the same, going over my connections, but everything seems ok. Used my multimeter, 12v when ignition on, 0v with ignition off on the yellow. Red going to main loom not connected at main loom plug. Help!

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
The original power lead in the loom, as it was connected to your standard alfa radio, should be a permanent +12 .....
what is normally missing on Alfa is the switched +12, which you will have to add from lighter

Required for an aftermarket radio:
ISO A4 : permanent +12 (yellow wire from radio)
ISO A7 : switched +12 (red wire from radio)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing I can think of is there is a fault with the connects2 adapter. Think i'll have the unit out and check the main car loom connector for the permanent live, prove if the connects2 lead is doing something it shouldn't be? I have sent a email of to connects2 asking if the yellow should be switched but haven't had a response yet.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
The only thing I can think of is there is a fault with the connects2 adapter. Think i'll have the unit out and check the main car loom connector for the permanent live, prove if the connects2 lead is doing something it shouldn't be? I have sent a email of to connects2 asking if the yellow should be switched but haven't had a response yet.
The connects2 adapter should remove the hassle of needing to add a switched +12......
It connects to permanent +12, and creates an additional switched +12 controlled by CAN bus ....

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The connects2 adapter should remove the hassle of needing to add a switched +12......
It connects to permanent +12, and creates an additional switched +12 controlled by CAN bus ....
That's the idea, but so I have found out due to the Spider being a convertible car apparently (according to Connects2) it does not have a permanent live the same as the other models (correct as I have tested with the multi meter tonight) it has a switched live, that I'm guessing is tied in to the canbus to turn on when required when ignition is off, then again on when ignition is on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts