Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 164 has got lots of rust around the rear wheel arches. I am thinking of getting a 166, not sure whether to get f/l or not because unlike the 156 [where in my opinion the f/l looks far better] I quite like the pre f/l 166's. Also not sure whether to get a twinnie or 3.0 manual. [No offence to the Sportronic boys but I like changing gears] But a newer 159 would be tempting in terms of age/rust, problem is I don't think they look as good as the 156 let alone the 166, somehow they don't look well proportioned - the wheels and lower body seem too big for the upper body/cockpit area. But before making a decision I would really value your input on a comparison between the 166 and the 159 since you have had that 159 for a year now. [I was really tempted a year ago to buy your green 2.5 166!]

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
If you opt for a 166 get a 3.0 Super - fantastic! I had a 2.5 166 for about 2.5 years and while it was a great car the 3 litre is a much more impressive engine in terms of the way it delivers it power.

Ken will be along soon to advise on his 159!

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
buy my 166 and drop a 3.2 in it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The other point I forgot to mention is that the 159 interior/dashboard just looks 'cheap' compared to the 166! Although to be fair nearly all car interiors look inferior to a 166!

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
The problem with getting hold of a manual facelift is...there aren't many!
c.100 Twin Sparks, and only c.40 3.2V6s.

If you want a manual V6 facelift, you'll be waiting a little while, or have to be prepared to pay B&W / Veloces prices.

Whereas you can choose from probably 20 or so manual MK1 cars on sale right now on ebay or Autotrader.

Personally, I'd let the 164 rust out until a 3.2 facelift comes along. :lol:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The other point I forgot to mention is that the 159 interior/dashboard just looks 'cheap' compared to the 166! Although to be fair nearly all car interiors look inferior to a 166!
The 166 3.0 Super is superb with the 6-speed manual box. Mine's for sale in the classifieds. There is room for manoeuvre on the asking price. It's properly maintained and not your typical cheapie that will end up costing you loads to get how you want it. The car is one of the best in the UK. Give me a shout if interested.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Uncle...you're not leaving the fold, are u ?:cry:
Not completely - I've still got my beloved 75 TS Veloce. Had it for 12 years! It's with a heavy heart that the 166 has to go. I'm doing more miles these days and need something more economical and could do with an estate with expanding family etc. I'm just drip-feeding the classifieds at the moment and will put on Pistonheads again next month when the weather is better (and not in any way to hold onto the car for a while longer - well, that's what I'll tell the Mrs anyway!). There's room for a decent offer with the price but will miss it all the same. Hopefully, there is someone out there who wants the perfect 166!

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Mine went to its death today :( I feel terrible about killing one, but needs must.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
It's in the care of autolusso, so its guts will go to saving others

1 - 12 of 12 Posts