Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She caught a squirrel in the garden today, just as we were going out. Unfortunately, I interrupted her by telling her to drop it but then saw that it was not quite dead. I picked up a shovel fully intending to do the decent thing but it looked up at me and I hesitated momentarily, then lost my nerve. At this point our friends came round and caught me in a compromising position with a shovel, a very ill rodent and a guilty look on my face.

She has no discretion at all – she always kills in front of horrified witnesses. I’m thinking of stencilling the kills onto her collar. So far she has a pigeon, a seagull, 3 rats, a rabbit and now the squirrel.

So in true VIZ style here is my top tip: Next time you have a Greyhound who for years has been perfectly content and a model pet, don’t listen to your wife who suggests that a cute looking playmate would be just the ticket. Or if you do, don’t get a bl**dy terrier. :mad:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Don't worry about it I bloody hate squirrels anyway.

One crapped all over me in the park the other week, made a right mess of my jacket and then he followed us round the park to gloat (high up in the trees though, where I couldn't reach him). Smug little bushy tailed git. :rant:

He'd have had the shovel treatment if I'd got hold of him.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope you took said squirrel to the local animal rescue place :tut: You'll have Rolf after you if you didn't ;)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Greys are classified as vermin. Track orientated racing hounds will go for most things if they can 'catch em' as they are after that elusive lure for their whole life span. Just watch her around other smaller domestic pets though, but she is hardly to be blamed for that which was expected of her during her working life?:):

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must admit, I'm watching Murphy very carefully with next doors hens :lol: They have the run of the paddock behind us and often climb the banking so that they are just beyond our fence. I'm not sure what Murphy would do if one stuck her head through to say hello :eek:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
It's natural for my 'mates' 'pals' of years long past: Jack Russels, whippets, greyhounds, terriers,and ferrets Etc. , to be after that which is inbred into them to hunt?

Years ago now, I had to despatch a placid old tabby that lived two doors away,who's owners were temporarily homing a greyhound which got hold of the cat and subsequently broke it's back!:(:

Apologies for upsetting anyone by posting this rather sad memory, but it was just another thing that happened in my old past life.:(:

I put the animal expediently out of it's suffering with my old hammered twelve side by side, which I had at that time! :(: Not sure if this post will be appreciated by most on AO, so please dump it Mods if it's deemed unsuitable? :confused:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd not have hesitated in spading the ****er.

They are noisy vermin. It would have been the humane thing to do.

Well done Kellogs. :thumbs:

[Big thumbs down to your owner for not following through. :tut:]

:p

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[Big thumbs down to your owner for not following through. :tut:]
Didn't need to, it was died almost straight away. The shovel would just have been to have saved it from a bit of suffering.

Having lost my nerve initially, friend said that it could be in shock or just playing dead. So I left it and it died in front of me (probably in pain) :( So now I have guilt as well.

Point is, my cat is 14, slightly spastic and never caught a thing, greyhound has no chase instinct which why she is a pet. But between bl**dy Kellogs and the sparrowhawk that hunts overhead, my garden looks like a set from a Saw movie whenever we have people over.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Having lost my nerve initially, friend said that it could be in shock or just playing dead. So I left it and it died in front of me (probably in pain) :( So now I have guilt as well.
I was only joking. Don't beat yourself up over this. Death is just a natural thing in these circumstances.
;)

·
Administrator
45,147 Posts
Our Jack Russells are very good about this sort of thing. They try to chase birds and insects, and that's about it. They show curiosity about my parents cat and their chickens, and about ducks when we see them, but no sign of chasing them so far.

They're at the vets at the moment being neutered, spayed, microchipped and one having her tear ducts cleared. Will be going to pick them up ina few mins in fact, hope they're OK.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They're at the vets at the moment being neutered, spayed, microchipped and one having her tear ducts cleared. Will be going to pick them up ina few mins in fact, hope they're OK.
Hmm depends on the definition of "okay" you're using.

I'm pretty sure I'd not be okay if I woke up one morning to find
my nads missing. :eek:

:)

(Why can't they just give the poor doggies a vasectomy instead? :confused:)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Ooooha! Nev, that makes my right groin tingle all over again, just thinking about that area!:lol: And I only had an angiogram catheter inserted mit closure plug! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts