Alfa Romeo Forum banner

861 - 876 of 876 Posts

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #862
I have ventured off piste today. My mate has a Beetle 1303S that's been off the road with what he described as a cracked manifold for a couple of years. At Christmas I drunkenly volunteered to give him a hand with it. For various reasons it hasn't happened until today.

I've never worked on anything air cooled before but it's all a bit weird.

As it turns out, the inlet manifold has cracked and the exhaust and heat exchangers are goosed so basically everything has to come off. We made a decent amount of progress too despite being hampered by chewed up screws holding the tinware in.

Attachments

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
Can you not just get rid of that cacky engine and stick a V8 in it? :D

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #864
Can you not just get rid of that cacky engine and stick a V8 in it? :D
I'll you know that the engine in this is the cream of the crop - a 1600 twin port.

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
Bet it still sounds like it's faulty even when running at it's sweetest. I don't like air cooled engines, you might guess. :)

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
Bet it still sounds like it's faulty even when running at it's sweetest. I don't like air cooled engines, you might guess. :)
Probably. However, with Beetles (and Porsches), it's part of the character of the car.

The VW flat four is also incredible in terms of its tuning potential.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #867
Hearse now on eBay. There's a 9-5 limo on there too if you fancy starting a new business.

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
Hearse now on eBay. There's a 9-5 limo on there too if you fancy starting a new business.
Saab's seemed a very popular car to make a limo from for some reason. At least one of our local funeral parlours has them.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #870
Selling the hearse on eBay didn't go according to plan. It flew out of the blocks with loads of bids and several bell end what's your best price messages. As the week went on, and the Corona situation developed, that all stopped. In the end it didn't even hit the (low) reserve.

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
I mean, you could suggest that it would be impossible to sell it legally at the moment anyway. No one is allowed to come to your house to collect it.
I reckon it's going to have to wait until we all come back out of the Winchester when this has all blown over.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #874
Due to the current crisis, and a temporary shortage of work to do, I've booked the next few Wednesdays off to keep myself sane.

One of today's tasks was to adjust the handbrake on the CRV. It's been a bit suspect, with far too much travel, for a while. First job was to check the adjustment at the wheels. This turned out to be fine so it's a simple case of taking the slack out of the cable.

I've come across lots of ways of doing this in cars. Often involving a crusty lump of mud and rust somewhere near the exhaust that HBOL describes as "loosen knurled locknut A, check free play at each wheel is exactly 3.7mm, if it isn't turn knurled adjuster nut counter clockwise until free play IS EXACTLY 3.7mm. If the free play is more than 3.7mm your car will roll off down a hill when you least expect it and run over a kitten. If less than 3.7mm your brakes will seize solid on the motorway, you will crash and die."

There's none of this wi th'onda. You slide the seat forward, pull up the carpet, and remove the cover plate. Because it's in the car it's not rusty. You take off the spring, turn the adjuster nut as necessary, and that's it done.

(See previous comments about the engineering of Japanese cars.)

I did notice that one rear pad is very worn, suggesting that the (Joe Lucas I think) caliper might be a bit stuck. New pads are on order.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,993 Posts
There's none of this wi th'onda. You slide the seat forward, pull up the carpet, and remove the cover plate. Because it's in the car it's not rusty. You take off the spring, turn the adjuster nut as necessary, and that's it done.

(See previous comments about the engineering of Japanese cars.)
The simple ideas are sometimes the best.

861 - 876 of 876 Posts