Alfa Romeo Forum banner

841 - 860 of 876 Posts

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #843
Bit of a break from the norm today. For my birthday, Mrs K bought me a driving experience. Knowing my love of old shite, she went with an outing involving that sort of thing. Me being me, I went for cars totally unsuited to a narrow kart track in Wigan.

In brief:

Car 1: 3rd gen Corvette, incredible sound, no PAS, no brakes really. Total brute. Sadly it died after a lap.

Car 2: GTR. Jesus wept. If you have one, how are you not dead or banned for life. Faster than my brain can deal with.

Car 3: Cobra rep. So loud it hurt my ears. Incredibly heavy long travel clutch. Gearchange was like breaking rocks with a sledgehammer. Nowhere near enough room so left arm was oot the windee (as they say in Scotland) and my knees were up near my ears even before I tried to use the clutch. Beyond rapid, totally impossible, couldn't see out, kept finding 5th not 3rd.

Car 4: Camaro SS. 600bhp. Cowl induction, auto box, totally wrong for the environment. Sounded like thunder. Surprisingly sharp grabby brakes. Managed to lock up at one point. Much want.

Highlight of the day however was the safety briefing being done by Barry "Leapy" Lee. I now have his autograph on my scorecard.

Attachments

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
Is that the Batmobile behind the Camaro?

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
Also, I think I might have seen Barry Lee race. We used to go up High Edge Raceway fairly often when I was a kid and the name seems to ring a bell - I think we 'supported' him because it was so similar to my dad's name.

As a massive of-tangent aside, when this prompted me into checking whether Hednesford Raceway still exists, this delightful race report title popped up:

·
Premium Member
77,340 Posts
I'm not alone in the sincere belief, then, that I would be personally wholly inadequate in the face of unrelenting power, unforgiving handling, and squeazy cockpits.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #848
Is that the Batmobile behind the Camaro?
It's a Batmobile. Absolutely vast and a sight to behold as it lumbered around at walking pace.

Has anyone noticed anything strange going on in the background of the GTR pic?

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #850
I'm not alone in the sincere belief, then, that I would be personally wholly inadequate in the face of unrelenting power, unforgiving handling, and squeazy cockpits.
I went for things I really wanted to drive, rather than things I really wanted to drive on a kart track near Wigan. If I was doing it again I'd keep the kart track and Wigan parts in mind a bit more when choosing cars.

·
Premium Member
77,340 Posts
Agreed. I think there are certainly arid desert plains whereupon I would feel reasonably confident to hurl a muscle down in a straight line.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #852
The hearse is openly mocking me.

Today's task was to get a tyre swapped over so it's on a matching set of wheels and get the wheel alignment done.

First job was to move it down the drive. Somehow, I managed to press and hold the unlock button on the key. For some reason, this lowers the window and opens the sunroof. Once open, the sunroof wouldn't close, it would get so far then the pinch protection would kick in.

I tried disconnecting the batt as I recalled doing when I had a similar issue with the window but that didn't work. I then learned from the internet that holding down the lock button for the rear windows disables the anti-pinch. I could now close it and hear it struggling. There was a point where it almost ground to a halt. All sorted with some grease in the guides.

I'm now sat waiting while a bloke does the alignment. On the way, a wiper blade split.

Wanna buy a Saab?

Attachments

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
Only relevant on the basis that you mentioned wiper blades - but the windscreen on the C63 I would very much like to replace, for 2 reasons.
The first is that it has a series of scratches in one place on the blacked out glass where the wipers park. Not sure what caused them, and you never see them, but they still wind me up when I do spot them.
The second, and main, issue is that I have tried 5 or 6 sets of wiper blades on this car, and they always squeak. And not after 6 months of use, but immediately they're put on the car, or very shortly afterwards. I have tried deep cleaning the screen, and I have tried rubbing the wipers with surgical spirit to ensure they're as clean as they can possibly be - no dice.
So conclusion is that the glass itself has become etched somehow in the past and is causing the issue.

But I doubt insurance will pay for a replacement screen on the basis of some scratches and my rage when it won't stop squeaking at me in the rain, right?

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
Part two of today's adventures is titled "Another reason why I think Japanese cars better engineered than European ones".

Mrs K decided she wanted a better stereo in th'onda so she can connect her phone. There is no market for single DIN units these days so the new JVC was less than £50.

A European car with a single DIN unit would like as not have it mounted in a flimsy metal frame held in the dash with a few bent tabs. There's never quite enough room for the wiring, and half the time you can just pull aftermarket ones out. Good thing too as they crappy keys never work. The lads at Honda chose to use proper nuts and bolts, all hidden by the fan vent surround. None of the tabs broke when removing that either.

A 3 quid wiring adapter from eBay meant the whole job too no more than 5 minutes.

Attachments

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
I may have given the wrong impression... I'm talking about the bits of glass that you would otherwise see bare metal and wiring and the like through.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
I may have given the wrong impression... I'm talking about the bits of glass that you would otherwise see bare metal and wiring and the like through.
I know, but you were leading with your chin a bit.

Do your wipers squeak in both directions? If not, you could have a very slightly twisted wiper arm.

·
Administrator
45,302 Posts
Good question. I did wonder about the arms, but they seem solid. I oiled the spindles a bit. I will investigate.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #860
The hearse is going on eBay tomorrow night. As evidenced by this picture, I can't get at the bloody thing so it may as well go.

For just £1195ono it could be yours. If you're patient, you'll probably win the eBay auction for about £200.

Attachments

841 - 860 of 876 Posts