Alfa Romeo Forum banner

821 - 840 of 876 Posts

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Interesting letter received yesterday. The 15yo CRV is the subject of a safety recall. Apparently there may be an issue with the passenger side airbag exploding in a crash and killing everyone in the car, or something like that. For the first time in over 30 years of driving, I'm taking a car to a franchised dealer to have work done.
Had the Lexus recalled for that last year, as you, my only foray into a dealership for work to be done. They sent me a lovely video of an examination of the car.

·
Administrator
45,303 Posts
As it happens, my only trip to a main dealer to have work done was a recall too, on the C63 a year or so back. Now I think about it - that was airbag related too. There was apparently a chance of the drivers airbag going off, if the airbag warning light was lit.

As I remember, their hot chocolate was quite nice.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
Th'onda is going having the airbag/bomb fixed soon. Apparently they will do a full safety check buck shee. Which, on a 15yo car with 150k on it, will probably be hilarious.

In other news, youngest child has now passed his test. Here he is on his maiden voyage.

Attachments

·
Administrator
45,303 Posts
Th'onda is going having the airbag/bomb fixed soon. Apparently they will do a full safety check buck shee.
Otherwise known as the "Try to recoup some money because we had to do the recall work for free" checks.

·
Registered
44,837 Posts
Th'onda is going having the airbag/bomb fixed soon. Apparently they will do a full safety check buck shee. Which, on a 15yo car with 150k on it, will probably be hilarious.

In other news, youngest child has now passed his test. Here he is on his maiden voyage.
My mum had to postpone the bomb replacement in her Toyota this week as the exhaust decided to fall off! She said she feared the hard sell by the garage after they spot the opportunity to make some money back!

:titanic:

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
Fleet update.

1. Th'onda has had the incendiary device replaced. It passed its health check with flying colors, and they even washed it. The service manager reports that they routinely service 1 owner CRVs with upwards of 200k on them. It appears that it's staying again.
2. The Fiesta has been replaced with a slightly older Polo. This has done fewer miles and is pretty much immaculate. The insurance saving for young Tom has damn near paid for the car. The 12v 3-pot motor doesn't even sound broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #827
The Polo came with an OAP-spec cassette player. Being young, Tom doesn't own any cassettes so something different was needed. Trawling eBay showed that the CD tuners we were paying £200+ for 20 years ago are fundamentally worthless. A JVC unit was soon winging its way to us for very little money.

I've been away all week and struggling to return a hire car to Enterprise last night when he rang to say it had arrived and could he fit it?

I said he might have trouble getting the old one out but left him to it. Not long after, I got the first picture. Not long after that I got the second. A few minutes later I got a video of some god-awful racket blaring from the speakers.

Attachments

·
Administrator
45,303 Posts
Good work Tom.
It's completely too late now, but did you get one that can play music from a USB stick? Or one which can play mp3 discs?
Either approach means you can get a load more music on the go without having to juggle CDs constantly.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #829
Good work Tom.
It's completely too late now, but did you get one that can play music from a USB stick? Or one which can play mp3 discs?
Either approach means you can get a load more music on the go without having to juggle CDs constantly.
It does play from a USB but his music is all on his phone so the aux was what he was after.

The only other fix it needed was a clonk on the wipers. The arms were touching as they parked. Probably because someone has attempted to clear ice or snow and slightly bent the linkage. Moving the stem around a spline took about as long as writing this.

This meant some time to work on my Charger.

Attachments

·
Administrator
45,303 Posts
Look at that. Even stationary it looks like it's trying to lift one of the front wheels.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #832
Two for the price of none oil change day at our house today. First up, th'onda. I was hoping we would have sold this by now but Mrs K seems very attached to it. As always, changing the filter was a PITA. The latest oil filter tool (three legged crab thing) proved even more useless than the chain or the strap. Eventually the chain got it, followed by the usual stream of oil down my arm.

Next to the Polo and the plan was for young Tom to do most of the work. I'm not sure if the sump plug is a knackered torx or a really knackered Allen but a torx got it. The filter is a paper element in a plastic housing. The required socket is a 36mm. As I don't work on many aircraft carriers, the only socket that size I have is a deep one for hub nuts. It was far too big but we managed. Something more suitable is on the shopping list.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #834
Fleet update time.

Starting with the CRV, I took half a house' worth of carpet to the tip in it. Other than that, nothing to report.

The Saab has a fresh MoT. 1 advisory for a front drop link. No mention of the ongoing clonk on the left rear. He mentioned the handbrake, which has a fair amount of travel. Apparently the pads on one side are wearing faster so new pads and a bit of freeing off may be needed. As it's done 30 miles in the last 3 weeks, this will wait.

Elder child's company car isn't my problem, unless it needs a wash so that only leaves the Polo.

When we changed the oil, Tom casually mentioned that it doesn't always start first time when hot. I tried it and he was right, it sounded like one pot wasn't firing up. **** on a 4-pot, absolutely catastrophic on a 3.

First thought was a duff coilpack but, as we don't know when it last had plugs, we thought we'd put new ones in. As it happens the old ones did look ancient. And what do you know, the starting problem went away.

Filled with Yuletide joy, we gave it a wash. It needs doing properly but we'll get round to that.

The only remaining issue was that the central locking doesn't always work from the driver's door.

Then last night Tom went out in it and rang from the petrol station to say he couldn't open the filler flap. He came back home and it dawned that only the driver's door had unlocked. With it unlocked properly, the petrol flap opened.

All was once again well, until he came to start it. It would start, but was clearly only running on 2 cylinders. I'd bought a coil pack, so we swapped them about and got it running but still rough. My torque app has thrown up a misfire on cylinder 2 and issues with the temp sensor (which might explain the starting problem).

We swapped the coils around but it started pissing down and my phone stopped connecting so we left it there. I've tried again tonight and now the misfire has gone onto cylinder 3.

These engines sometimes burn out exhaust valves but it seems unlikely that a burnt valve would jump cylinders.

Investigations will continue when it's not dark and pissing down.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #835
Went to Euros earlier for the sensor. Came to fit it and found this. I'm not a spark, automotive or otherwise, but I know it's not meant to be like that. The wire was corroded all the way into the plug so a trip to the scrappers to cut a plug and a section of wire will be needed.

Further playing has established a completely dead coilpack and one that seems to work when it feels like it so I will be back at Euros in the morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #836 (Edited)
A further coilpack has been purchased and fitted and we have all 3 cylinders working again. It still sounds weird but every 3-pot does. Elder child's A1 is a much more modern 3 cylinder turbo and that sounds a bit off to my ears too.

Admittedly they sound better that the crappy Peugeot/Citroen 3-pot pool car we had at work. That barely had enough power to manage the slope of the car park and sounded ****ed when it was new.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #838
The Polo still hasn't been quite right. It'll run fine for ages then drop a cylinder at idle for a bit. The remaining coil we haven't replaced is a pattern one from our old pal Joe Lucas. AKA The Prince of darkness. Giving it a wiggle brings #3 back to life so another new coil has gone on.

Apparently pattern ones are only good for a couple of years. People replace them when they replace the plugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #839
I was driving the CRV the other day and noticed that it wasn't demisting all that well. Not unusual in winter because it often has a wet dog and wet dog walkers in it. Mrs K also uses it as storage for teaching materials so it's usually full of damp paper.

It did, however, occur to me that I have never actually changed the pollen filter and whilst the fan was going full tilt, not a lot of air was moving. I therefore decided to throw caution, and seven quid, to the wind and buy new filters. Looking at the old ones, they were probably due.

I also found that the carpet is damp on the driver's side. I'm monitoring this for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #840
Brief fleet update.

The Polo hasn't had a new coil pack for 2 months. I think we've washed it too but, otherwise it hasn't been touched. Younger child now has a work van so it's not seeing as much use.

The CRV had a flat batt earlier because some *** left the interior light on. Other than that, it soldiers on. It appears to be staying because, having used the Polo today, Mrs K has decided she needs a stereo with an aux socket. I assumed this would come wrapped in another car but apparently not, a JVC one has been purchased.

The Saab has done about 100 miles since its MoT in December. There's always something blocking it in and I get the train to work. For this reason, I am getting rid. It's currently only for sale on uksaabs but will be appearing on an internet auction site near you very soon.

821 - 840 of 876 Posts