Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other week, elder child dragged me to Fords of Winsford (big car supermarket that started long before car supermarkets were a thing) as she was fancying a newish Fiesta.

As we wandered around the 75,000 cars, I was left with one overriding thought - "How do you go somewhere that has every make and model from Jags to Dacias, all in perfect nearly new condition, and end up coming away with a Vauxhall Mokka? "

This gave me a brilliant idea for a new thread. However, I've forgotten that idea so this one will have to do.

Basically I will nominate a car then we can argue the toss over whether it's rubbish or not. The first car for discussion is the aforementioned Mokka. Is it terrible? Am I being unkind? Over to you.

·
Registered
37,150 Posts
I think I would struggle to get enthusiastic about any Vauxhall let alone a Mokka.

They just have an air of couldn't be arsed about them. By that I mean they are not especially good at anything, and the people who drive them tend not to be car enthusiasts.

But if I needed a cheap banger that I didn't care about just for the sole purpose of transport and nothing else I might consider one (if the price/condition/MOT status was ok)

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I would struggle to get enthusiastic about any Vauxhall let alone a Mokka.

They just have an air of couldn't be arsed about them. By that I mean they are not especially good at anything, and the people who drive them tend not to be car enthusiasts.

But if I needed a cheap banger that I didn't care about just for the sole purpose of transport and nothing else I might consider one (if the price/condition/MOT status was ok)
That's pretty much my view of them. We have an Astra pool car at work and there's really nothing wrong with it. It's reasonably comfortable, it's quiet, it's quick enough, the handling is ok, etc etc. However, when I drive it, I worry that people will think it's mine. We have Toyotas and Kias that aren't as nice yet when I drive them, I couldn't care less if people think they are mine.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I used to go fishing by the farm where Ford's of Winsford started!!

Later in life I was in their large site with the ex and left nearly having bought a Ford Ka for her!! The salesman did let me have a go in WRX Subaru which was fun. In the end we got her a Peugeot 206.

If I'm honest I would go Vauxhall over Peugeot!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I work at BCA Manchester and some days drive about 200 cars in one day alone.

The Mokka is with all modern Vauxhall’s which is kind of built to a specific price with a specific demographic in mind.
To answer the question, yes they’re terrible cars.
I pretty much hate stepping inside all modern Vauxhall’s, they can be problematic too. Lots of them come in with error codes or a coolant light showing on the dash.
They don’t seem to age well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Awful.

Second that on reliability, Mum and sister have both had Corsa’s, both plagued with seemingly endless problems despite being new-ish and on modest mileage.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Where did you get the idea of them holding 75k cars from? Our place is huge and we don’t have even 10% of that at anyone time.

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
A simple experiment. Try saying this out loud:

“I drive a Vauxhall Mokka”

Now, do you feel like you’re winning in life?

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
I rather like the rear aspect of the new Insignia and I do like the wee Adam provided it's in funky colours. The Mokka needs to be killed with fire.

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
The Adam is a guilty pleasure of mine too. I’m denying I ever said that though 🙂

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did you get the idea of them holding 75k cars from? Our place is huge and we don’t have even 10% of that at anyone time.

I was exaggerating for comedy effect.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi All
How about a Renault Capture 1.5 diesel.
My in-laws have just bought one, my father in law has the audacity to slag my Brera !!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Adam, Fiat 500, Mini et al all suit the bill for a certain demographic.
I don't mind the 500 or the Mini. In fact, I quite like them. They are shamelessly retro designs taking styling cues from icons from the past and that's fair enough, it seems to be what people want. Vauxhall's equivalent would be the Viva HA which didn't really have any styling at all so the same approach wouldn't really work. Instead it looks like they just pinched ideas from everywhere. Personally I'd rather have the upscaled but otherwise shameless copy of an old car rather than a facsimile of the upscaled but otherwise shameless copy of an old car.

anyway, enough of Vauxhall. The next car for debate is the original Honda NSX.

1 - 20 of 302 Posts