2341 - 2360 of 2405 Posts

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,341

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
Have you ever noticed how some films have clearly been made by people who like cars, even though they don't have a car theme?

Ronin is a case in point. They could have used any big Audi but went S8, any 5-series but used an M5, any big old luxo barge but used an old S-class. Lock, Stock and Two smoking Barrels is another ex\ample. It's not a car film but cars play a significant part in it.
Good point and you’re right, you can tell when a car person proper has had a hand in a film.

Equally, you can tell when they haven’t. There’s probably another thread in this subject, but car-related dialogue faux pas are amusing. Typically, I can’t think of any accurately right now, but I seem to recall one of the Gone in 60 secs films - or one of the other film of that ilk - had a line along ‘if you keep shifting like that, the carburettors can’t take it’ - or something equally technically nonsensical, while constantly changing up about 392 times.

As a related aside, for any car-in-garage scene in a soap, the mechanic is always shown holding a wrench fit for a jumbo jet engine, when the task they’re planning to use it for is simply replacing a bulb on a Corsa.

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
There's a similar irritation whenever a film of TV show has to portray someone playing a video game. The actor will always sit there, holding a controller, and doing stuff with it that can't possibly relate to the game they're playing.

And another example - whenever there's a character whose supposed to be an accomplished pool player, the shot they happen to be playing while the camera is on them will always be a 6 inch perfectly straight pot.

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
^^^ good observation, Bazza.

One more. When starting to wash a filthy car, they dunk the sponge in the bucket, then start washing from the bottom of the door upwards! No one would ever wash a car like that!

Is it an acting school thing, like a template they’re taught to follow for car washing scenes?

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
Oh wow. I know there are plenty of performance cars out there now with fake exhaust tips. But fake to the extent of just being a black plastic piece of the bumper, which the actual exhausts don't even point through? That's nasty! The usual approach appears to be unadorned real exhaust ends which float just behind the unattached fake tips. Like with the newer-than-mine C63.

Is it really an S6? Or a rebadged diesel?

Also, those actual exhaust tips look guaranteed to cause a massive rattle at some point in the future.

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
Ah yes, I'd forgotten the new-ish Audi habit of badging up diesels as performance cars. Started with their SQ range I think?

Will it only be coming out of one side? There are still exhausts there, just exiting under the car - is the other corner the same?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ah yes, I'd forgotten the new-ish Audi habit of badging up diesels as performance cars. Started with their SQ range I think?

Will it only be coming out of one side? There are still exhausts there, just exiting under the car - is the other corner the same?

Yeah I think they started off with the SUVs, now all S models are following the same trend, whilst the RS ones remain petrol powered.

Perhaps they’ve hidden the real pipe away beneath the car...

‘The new DPF filters now catch 100% of all pollutants’

-VAG, 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
Perhaps they’ve hidden the real pipe away beneath the car...
Are we looking at the same picture? You can see the real pipes exiting downwards just short of the bumper, right? I'm assuming they do the same thing on both sides.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Are we looking at the same picture? You can see the real pipes exiting downwards just short of the bumper, right? I'm assuming they do the same thing on both sides.

Honestly I didn’t notice that until you pointed it out. If that’s the case why didn’t they just make them real pipes??

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,352

Honestly I didn’t notice that until you pointed it out. If that’s the case why didn’t they just make them real pipes??

I assume that it's because if they are real they have to fit properly in the cut-out in the bumper or they look a bit Barry. To get them to fit properly takes time. Time is money. Therefore they exit underneath and the bumper is an easy to fit moulding.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I assume that it's because if they are real they have to fit properly in the cut-out in the bumper or they look a bit Barry. To get them to fit properly takes time. Time is money. Therefore they exit underneath and the bumper is an easy to fit moulding.
Exactly the sort of quality and attention to detail you look for in a top spec German exec!

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,354
Back to the fillums

Rush
Talladega Nights
It's a mad mad mad mad world
Baby Driver
Gumball Rally
Vanishing point
Two lane blacktop
The Driver
Mad Max Fury Road
Smokey and the bandit
The Gladiator
Duel
Convoy
The Italian job
Dirty Mary, crazy Larry
Ronin
Gone in 60 seconds (Cage)
Gran Torino

Any more to add?

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,356
Herbie Goes Bananas
Herbie films are banned, as is Corvette Summer.

Rush
Talladega Nights
It's a mad mad mad mad world
Baby Driver
Gumball Rally
Vanishing point
Two lane blacktop
The Driver
Mad Max Fury Road
Smokey and the bandit
The Gladiator
Duel
Convoy
The Italian job
Dirty Mary, crazy Larry
Ronin
Gone in 60 seconds (Cage)
Gran Torino

·
Premium Member
77,051 Posts
I know, I was making a dirty protest.

What about that fillum with Steve McQueen in? Or them with that cockney high diver? Or that one with Nicole Kidman in?

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,358 (Edited)
I know, I was making a dirty protest.

What about that fillum with Steve McQueen in? Or them with that cockney high diver? Or that one with Nicole Kidman in?
If I can decode.......

Bullitt? (Not really car themed and a bit **** apart from the chase)
Lock, stock and two smoking barrels? Ok, I'll allow that.
Days of Thunder?

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
Tell the truth, you just like the bit where Statham oils up to take on a big gang of men...

2341 - 2360 of 2405 Posts