Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I bought myself a 147 GTA for Christmas and been using it over the holidays. I work as a heating engineer so use my van during the week, this might sound like a stupid question but will i start to get problems with my car if i only use it at weekends or should i start it up every few days?i will use it more during spring and summer but wanted to keep the miles down over the winter.
cheers
steve

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
you will be fine,just make you trickle charge the battery every couple of weeks.And run it up to temperature.And dont forget to leave the handbrake off if you can but put wheels chocs on.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
i do exactly the same as you (job and with car :lol: ) i don't have any problems doing this and sometimes don't start/use it for 2or 3 weeks. only thing i noticed though was that i had to get a new battery as the old 1 didn't hold the charge

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
My GTA is also just a weekend toy, I did only about 3000-4000 km this year. No problem if its not used for 4-6 weeks. I would just disconnect the battery if it should be standing for more than 2 months.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Snap i brought my 156GTA for crimbo, i got my van for work but use the GTA most evenings or when i can cause i love driving it. Have fun and get to some meets and show the beastie off:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'm in the same situation we have a family car and I commute to London on the train every day so I only occasionally use the GTA. I sometimes find it's not used for weeks however it's always garaged, covered and sits on a trickle charger - however as described do run it up to temperature and give it a drive only times I won't use mine is when it's raining or there is salt on the roads. I know plenty will tick me off for having a GTA as a weekend toy - but it just makes me appreciated it more so.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
What others have said! When I got mine she came out once or twice a week and she was totally fine :)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Mine has been a weekend machine for more than three years now. Never had any issues I just make sure I run it every month minimum. I have found it feels a bit stiff if it has been standing a while but could be just the bushes. After 15mins it feels much better

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I'm using mine more often than I was (twice a week now!), but I had no issues when I wasn't using it. I'll be getting a second runabout soon as my wife has started using the freelander more. What I would say is that if you're not using it, give it a decent run when you do. That way you can enjoy it properly when you do use it as it will have warmed up properly and won't need trickle charging.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Bacon how the hell you leave that fire breathing beast locked up! Sounds like my old m5 when I had the rear cats/resonators taking out! High pitched wail. I remember your videos! Haha

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I never really saw mine as a weekend toy, weekend toys are the sort of things you cant take out in bad weather because t will kill you :D, something daft that you couldnt get away with using as a daily driver.

Get in yur GTA's and drive them :p (unless your afraid they'll break) ;)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
It just seems utterly pointless to drive mine to work along a dirty country road and switch it off before it's even warmed up. If I'm driving more than ten miles, I'll always take the Gta, but I haven't done a journey of more than ten miles for a month. Last year I did four such journeys. And I used the Gta for three of them.

M

·
0 Posts
Mine has been a weekend toy for the past 18 months......a good battery, and a good run once she is up to temperature is all she needs to keep her happy, along with regular checks, servicing etc.:thumbs:

I intend to try and cover more than '300' miles this year ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Well my weekend toy is a GTV, but the principle is the same with any motor.

The battery will suffer the most from infrequent use, so buy a decent charger/conditioner - I have a CTEK that cost about £60.

I tend to find the front tyres bulge at the bottom if it doesn't get moved for a few weeks, so I tend to shuffle it backwards/ forwards a foot or so in the garage so she's not standing on the same piece of rubber.

Touch wood no problems, and as others have observed you really enjoy the car after getting in to it after having been stuck in something far less exciting for weeks...

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i haven't used mine at all in probably close to 3 months+ the last time i reversed it on the drive i broke the bumper which still needs repaired. unfortunately mine is sorn until i can get all the suspension and exhaust sorted with a q2.
what i did notice is i took it for a spin after not driving for 6 weeks before then and the car felt awkward and had lots of vibration from the brakes, it soon sorted itself out but i felt sorry for it.
i now feel very bad that it has been sat idle for soo long with a dead battery :(
i need it back on the road this spring so i can visit family and friends down south :)
i can't wait to drive it again! i been driving the wifes SLOW cooper s lol, i miss the grunt and the lovly noise :(

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
They do like to be driven,

Everything get's a little weary if you haven't driven it for a while, but get it out on a good run and it's soon sorted :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts