Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening fellow Alfa Fans...

Just a completely unrelated post, as the fishkeeping forums don't seem to be the hotbeds of activity that I was expecting them to be...

I've kept sea-monkeys and other bizarre water borne stuff as pets when I was tiny, and now want a grown up version - Shrimp are top of my list!

Now my problem is I've got a tiny desk to keep them on, and don't know where to start...

I've been looking at Biorb Baby's (15 litres, enough for 10-15 tiny shrimp??) and growing moss in there, but would like some advice.

Of the replies I've had, a lot of fish keepers think Biorbs are dangerous and a death sentence, but i'm not convinced either way.

Anyone got any experience of these little critters, and/or biorbs?

Thanks!!

N

·
0 Posts
Mate's got a sealed one.

The only thing that seems to destroy them is excess heat
which kills the shrimp.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well no boiling should take place, hehe!

Do you mean one of those NASA glass pots with a bit of coral, algae and shrimp in them?

N

·
0 Posts
Yeah. Looks quite cool.

He managed to blag a replacement after the first one
went ****-up because the adjoining office whacked the heating
up and killed the shrimp.

The replacement is doing great.
(He now keeps it at home. ;))

E

·
0 Posts
For the love of all that is holy, dont get a biorb. The problem is oxygen transfer into the water. With such a small opening at the top, especially on the 15ltr, not enough oxygen can mix with the water to create suitable water quality. Ignore the fact that most have air pumps, the air does not diffuse whilst in the water, it rises to top and bursts. Oxygen diffuses into the water with good circulation, not bubbles.
If you look at biorb tanks in fish shops, almost every single one will have lack lustre fish in them.
If you really must have a biob, go for the biUbe or the Biorb Life as they have a sufficient surface area, but they are expensive

If space is an issue, try looking at vertical, rectangular tanks, they have a small desk footprint, often about a foot square but importantly, they have a foot square top section meaning more oxygen can transfer to the water.
have a look at Harrogate Aquatic - Dennerle Nano Shrimp Tank 20 litres as that is much more suited

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the love of all that is holy, dont get a biorb. The problem is oxygen transfer into the water. With such a small opening at the top, especially on the 15ltr, not enough oxygen can mix with the water to create suitable water quality. Ignore the fact that most have air pumps, the air does not diffuse whilst in the water, it rises to top and bursts. Oxygen diffuses into the water with good circulation, not bubbles.
If you look at biorb tanks in fish shops, almost every single one will have lack lustre fish in them.
If you really must have a biob, go for the biUbe or the Biorb Life as they have a sufficient surface area, but they are expensive

If space is an issue, try looking at vertical, rectangular tanks, they have a small desk footprint, often about a foot square but importantly, they have a foot square top section meaning more oxygen can transfer to the water.
have a look at Harrogate Aquatic - Dennerle Nano Shrimp Tank 20 litres as that is much more suited
Now that sounds more like what i've heard so far!

I'll do some research - that dennerle Nano tank looks spot on as you said... So the only way to provide proper oxygenation is to have the water permanently moving about?

E

·
0 Posts
apologies if that sounde like a rant, it is just that I am an avid fish keeper and it annoys me that people who buy biorbs mainly buy them because they look good or have seen them on Big Brother without thinking what is really going on.
I mean, imagine buying a dog and only giving it half of the air it needs.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
apologies if that sounde like a rant, it is just that I am an avid fish keeper and it annoys me that people who buy biorbs mainly buy them because they look good or have seen them on Big Brother without thinking what is really going on.
I mean, imagine buying a dog and only giving it half of the air it needs.
No problem - i'd love to get into the world of Shrimp keeping, but of course with the right tools.. I didn't know big brother was still running, let alone had biorbs in them!

I wanted it for it's tiny footprint and ease of installation - one plug, done...

The science of getting the water right fascinates me, but if a biorb is a terrible idea, i'll be cancelling my order. (problem with the dennerle is it's almost twice the price! (Why don't aquaria shops give you the right advice! )

E

·
0 Posts
Now that sounds more like what i've heard so far!

I'll do some research - that dennerle Nano tank looks spot on as you said... So the only way to provide proper oxygenation is to have the water permanently moving about?
Proper oxygenation is achieved by a combination of plants and surface diffusion.
Aquatic plants give out oxygen during the day and take in carbon dioxide which is co-incidentally, exhaled by fish. At night the reverse happens, plants take in oxygen and give out carbon dioxide which is what fish 'breathe' at night. Weird or what!
Most filters that come with nano tanks are hang ons, meaning they sit on the side of the tank and draw water upwards into the filter, through the filter media and then drop it back into the tank.
This creates disturbance on the water surface and breaks the water tension which absorbs oxygen from the air.

As your thinking about keeping shrimp, it would be imperative to have plants, java moss and such like in your tank anyway, as shrimp generally graze on the algae that grows on plants. The plants however still need a fresh supply of CO2 during the day (comes from the fish and shrimp) and oxygen during the night (comes from the oxygen being diffused into the water by the filter)

Simples

E

·
0 Posts
No problem - i'd love to get into the world of Shrimp keeping, but of course with the right tools.. I didn't know big brother was still running, let alone had biorbs in them!

I wanted it for it's tiny footprint and ease of installation - one plug, done...

The science of getting the water right fascinates me, but if a biorb is a terrible idea, i'll be cancelling my order. (problem with the dennerle is it's almost twice the price! (Why don't aquaria shops give you the right advice! )
You very rarely see a biorb with live plants in it, because the oxygen and co2 is not there in sufficient quantity to keep the plants alive.
The key to water quality is time and patience, dont even think about adding shrimp for about a month after purchase because the bacteria in the tank and filter wont have matured enough to actually clean out the water properly.
What you need to do is cycle the tank properly and this would be the first point of research! A properly cycled tank and filter along with healthy plants is when you start adding aquatic life

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's flippin amazing - So a well planted tank, with a half decent method of getting air back in there, would do the job... I've lost hours to watching shrimp picking algae off mosses and plants, find them much more appealing than fish alone.

I'll continue my quest, thank you so much for the advice!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You very rarely see a biorb with live plants in it, because the oxygen and co2 is not there in sufficient quantity to keep the plants alive.
The key to water quality is time and patience, dont even think about adding shrimp for about a month after purchase because the bacteria in the tank and filter wont have matured enough to actually clean out the water properly.
What you need to do is cycle the tank properly and this would be the first point of research! A properly cycled tank and filter along with healthy plants is when you start adding aquatic life
found a brilliant guide on fishkeeping.co.uk on fishless cycling, although dealing with tiny (15-20 litre water quantities) the food based one makes more sense than adding ammonia... can't wait to get stuck in, but as always, good things come to those who wait!

E

·
0 Posts
more than welcome for the advice, best of luck with it and when you do get set up, bung some pictures on!

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
I agree with what has been said - avoid the biorbs!!
Also get the largest volume of water you can, this will help to keep fluctuations of nitrates, ph etc.... as small as possible. But there is a balance to it as ideally you want a large surface area as you can get so the water can infuse whith the oxygen so a giant tall thin tank will not be good, even though you have loads of water. Although i believe some kinds of shrimp need signifacantly less oxygen than most fish. If you do decide one day to add fish becareful what ones you buy!! Some fish like to eat the little hairy/hand bits :)lol: sorry for the description) on the shrimp and then the shrimp slowly starves to death.

The only tanks that are worse than a biorb are the picture frame tanks. Those things should be banned :tut: they are like concerntration camps for fish! :mad:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Nice to see others are also into aquatic endeavours! And as mentioned at the beginning, I too am disappointed by the lack of enthusiasm in the several fishy fora I'm a member of.

Perhaps AO is special in more ways than we realise? :lol:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Must be something about Alfas that brings us all together - regardless of what I need assistance with, someone will always have a solution!

I'm going to have a word with the aquarium who're supplying biorbs and those nano shrimp tanks, and see what they say. Hopefully the shrimps requirements for oxygen will mean they'll be happy! (If you look at those nasa ecosphere things, there's never any fresh air in them, sealed for life with no movement!)

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Must be something about Alfas that brings us all together - regardless of what I need assistance with, someone will always have a solution!

I'm going to have a word with the aquarium who're supplying biorbs and those nano shrimp tanks, and see what they say. Hopefully the shrimps requirements for oxygen will mean they'll be happy! (If you look at those nasa ecosphere things, there's never any fresh air in them, sealed for life with no movement!)
Yes thats right, if you only want shrimp and will never add fish then a biorb should be fine :)

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
What shrimp are you looking at by the way :confused:
Are you looking at the big blue ones or what? :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts