Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all ,need some advice ive got a 156 2.4 jtd veloce on a 51 plate and not sure if i should keep it ,i will have to put a new clutch in it also i bet a new fly wheel as well.so thats a grand out the window:eek: :rant: and also a new turbo as well :cry: another 650 quid,so do i keep it and spend 2 grand or get a later car bearing in mind ive put new discs and pads all round and new cambelt 6000miles ago:rolleyes: :confused: any ideas guys.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Bear in mind that if you trade it in you will effectively be giving it away. Or sell on ebay declaring good points and clutch and turbo faults. Not much return there. So if you do the clutch properly you could have a further 40k/50k out of it. Plus any other failures.

·
Registered
362 Posts
alfatwice said:
hi all ,need some advice ive got a 156 2.4 jtd veloce on a 51 plate and not sure if i should keep it ,i will have to put a new clutch in it also i bet a new fly wheel as well.so thats a grand out the window:eek: :rant: and also a new turbo as well :cry: another 650 quid,so do i keep it and spend 2 grand or get a later car bearing in mind ive put new discs and pads all round and new cambelt 6000miles ago:rolleyes: :confused: any ideas guys.

Hi Alfatwice,

I recently had a similar dilema,and after being offered (on avarage) £2800 trade in for my mint 2.4Jtd, i decided to have a new clutch and a couple more jobs done ( at a cost of almost £1500) and keep her.
The dealer never mentioned about replacing the flywheel, and touch wood, the clutch is bang on now.

If i were you, i would seriously consider putting a bit of money into her and keeping her for a bit longer, what else could you get for that money with that much style, performance and prescence!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was told its the best thing to do why the clutch is out seeing as its between 6- 7 hrs to change the clutch ,anyway i suppose it can be checked when the clutch is out but thought i would budget for the flywheel .

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks cragmas69 for the reply i was thinking the same the cars in good condition and would be a shame to sell it for peanuts :rolleyes: just thought i would get a bit of advice of you guys before shelling out on her:)

·
Registered
362 Posts
alfatwice said:
i was told its the best thing to do why the clutch is out seeing as its between 6- 7 hrs to change the clutch ,anyway i suppose it can be checked when the clutch is out but thought i would budget for the flywheel .
I was billed for £850, but no mention of flywheel.
Been spot on so far, bites right at the bottom, and really keen through the gears, also 12 month warranty.:D

BTW mine is re-mapped running approx 180 ish BHP, so must be strong clutch in std form,very little judder on 1st gear take up when clap cold, would have thought that if flywheel was shot, there would have been a terrible amount of judder, even when warmed up

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:cry: great thats what i get mostly when its hot it judders abit when cold but ive found the cars quicker when its cold also:confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah dual mass flywheels on Alfa give very little trouble and therefore usually last as long as the car unless abused. If you are replacing the clutch just check the flywheel and as long as its not grooved or scored there is no reason to change it. When I change jtd clutches i never change flywheels so save a couple hundred quid.:D

·
Registered
362 Posts
Your an invaluable source of expert knowledge kev, glad your here!!!!:cool:

W

·
0 Posts
kevs gta said:
Yeah dual mass flywheels on Alfa give very little trouble and therefore usually last as long as the car unless abused. If you are replacing the clutch just check the flywheel and as long as its not grooved or scored there is no reason to change it. When I change jtd clutches i never change flywheels so save a couple hundred quid.:D
Good to know, thanks :D

wrinx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts