Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about treating myself to some K&N's for my S2; on the basis that the standard airbox is a bit restrictive will I need to re-jet the dellortos?
Thanks
I've just spotted a K and N for the standard box but presumably this wont get round the airflow restriction created by the box itself?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I dont think the standard air filter is particularly restrictive. But the k&n pancake filters look cool and make a more rorty induction noise. I run them on the gt with dellorto carbs and didnt need any rejetting.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Harry - the dyno showed a restriction and Jim Spackman confirmed its not the best, but its really more to get that rorty sound as you've described, and the looks, where did you get yours from?
I was thinking about the Pipercross as well but its not as nice looking as the K&N's
Cheers

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
My K&N's needed the Dellorto's rejetting, it released a bit more power on a rolling road too.

They are noisy though, fine for a Car which is meant to be rorty, but if you see your Car as a cruiser rather than a sprinter, you might not like them after a while.

Drilling loads of holes in the inside section of the standard airbox improves the sound a fair bit too.

Don't forget if you do go K&N route, you will need to make some sort of adapter plate to mount the carb prop, or shell out for the aluminium carb mounts.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
My K&N's needed the Dellorto's rejetting, it released a bit more power on a rolling road too.

They are noisy though, fine for a Car which is meant to be rorty, but if you see your Car as a cruiser rather than a sprinter, you might not like them after a while.

I see your point on the noise but I find that at cruising speeds, 60mph for me in the Jnr, the ''rortiness'' doesn't manifest, it's only when I go into overtaking mode that it kicks in again :D

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments, think I'll drop a line to Alfaholics and see what they recommend
Cheers

·
Registered
328 Posts
I went for trumpets (ram pipes) with Pipercross Filter Socks. I actually think the GTA curved ram pipes are the coolest, and add a tiny bit of intake length (good for torque), but are too pricey for me right now.
I guess with my setup its a bit more lively but by no means a step change in performance. Sound it exciting though....
I copies the Alfaholics cars with a bit of transparent hose off the cam cover breather. I built an oil catch tank out of an alloy drink bottle and attached to the firewall. Its out of the way, and seems to work fine. Can send pics if youre interested...

·
Registered
5,213 Posts

I see your point on the noise but I find that at cruising speeds, 60mph for me in the Jnr, the ''rortiness'' doesn't manifest, it's only when I go into overtaking mode that it kicks in again :D
True, induction roar only manifests itself under acceleration as the Engine comes under load. Problem is it's a bit addictive, so you end up driving like you stole it all the time...... well I do anyway. :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
ok, so here is my setup, incl. arty photo(s). Im afraid I dont have one of the oil catch tank fitted, although you get the idea of how to build one here:

DIY Sigg Catchcan - D-series.org

On mine, the tank goes under the coil which you can see on the firewall behind the carbs. My car is LHD which is why this works. I suspect the tank wont fit there on a RHD. I want to keep my engine bay as uncluttered as possible, and therefore want things like this hidden if possible.

In the meantime I had some ignition trouble and removed the tank as it was getting in the way of the coil wiring. and I ended up leaving it off. I just routed the plastic breather pipe down past the starter, and left it like that. There was only ever a little condensation in the pipe, so I know Im not dumping oil on the road. I dont know what the MOT man would say however. I also know its not track-legal, as they dont want oil dumped following engine failure etc.

Im sure one of the shops will advise you on their favourite solution too....

all the best, andy

Attachments

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Andy - really useful, I've decided to leave it for now and gone back to standard jets, will rebuild carbs in the winter then install the filters and get her RR tested by Mek Motorsport as recommended by Jim at Alfaholics

1 - 13 of 13 Posts