Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of putting a K&N cone filter in my 1.6 147.
Is it worth doing? Is there much of an improvement in performance? Does the engine sound 'better'?

If anybody has done this to their 147 was it easy to do and what are your opinions as people i've asked are giving me mixed feelings about them. If you have any pics that would be great.

Ideally i'd like better perfomance from installing the filter but i don't want the car to sound really loud like some of the 'self pimped' cars you see being driven.

any ideas/suggestions are welcomed

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Sound is not different (my car is a 2.0 156 TS) for me the main advantage is that the filter can be used for >100K and can be cleaned.
I have put the V6 intake cone on the airfilter box which gives a better airflow.
Oiling the K&N must be very sparse as not to damage the MAF.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I've got a K&N in my GTV, not sure if it makes any difference performance wise (although my insurance went up by about £5 :rolleyes:), but as rarebear says, they last 100,000 miles :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've just put one on mine (2.0 Twin Spark) and it did make a noticeable difference in performance (not too much mind) but made quite a big difference with throttle response. I must say it is a bit louder at full throttle than the standard air box but what do you expect! The TwinSpark air box system is HUGE! and very complex which means it silences the engine quite a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking of fitting one to my 2.0 GTV to improve performance in 1st and 2nd hopefully, although I too don't want it too sound chavish (it's far too pretty for that), any advise people?

M

·
0 Posts
My advice...keep your money in your pocket and save yourself from a probable knackered MAF....

:)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
mike your really against these filters aint ya! you make a good point tho, AVOID oiled filters as far as you can, the oil has a reputation for destroying MAF sensors. your best bet is to do what rarebear has done and fit a V6 (GTA) intake system. alternatively a panel filter (oilless) will improve response slightly and are cheap as chips to buy

·
Registered
54 Posts
i am happy of my KN 57i on 156 2.0, it had change a bit the sound i the first part of the rev range, like subaru sound (with inoxcar NH exhaust )
car is a little bit more quick on the throttle and there is more sound

·
Registered
123 Posts
Will a K&N flat pad air filter make any major performance difference? Also, can it damage the MAF? I like it that it fits in the original filter casing - just wondering if it will make much of a difference

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The oil of the filters can knacker your AMF :eek: The jamie Porter site confirms this, as does his column in the AROC mag.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Sounds like sensible advice Sqn. The standard does a pretty good job of keeping some of the muck out I reckon. That's the main purpose of the filter or what?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
You gits : D - I have just bought my K&N filter cleaning kit to clean for the fisrt time. Now because of the oil MAF talk I'm thinking I will **** the MAF.

Oh what to do!!

I would recomend the the V6 intake upgrade though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You gits : D - I have just bought my K&N filter cleaning kit to clean for the fisrt time. Now because of the oil MAF talk I'm thinking I will **** the MAF.

Oh what to do!!

I would recomend the the V6 intake upgrade though.
During development we have fitted many oiled filters and never had a come back on it. I have seen oiled AFMs but this was engine oil pushed back from the breather.

When re-oiling a filter after cleaning most of the people can't be bothered with the instructions and are impatient and in turn over oil the filter, which might lead to problems.

Working together with quite a few companies on thousands of cars only problems occured where people started messing.

Companies like BMC, which only sell oiled filters don't have any problems. K&N filter elements are oiled and seem to have no problems. Green filters are oiled and seem to have no problems. Sprint filters, which is one of the longest in business seem to have no problems. At least these are the results of our research.

BTW a number of sponges have done damage to engines for various reasons.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If in doubt, take out the maf, block the hole and run the car without it for a while - that should suck out any excess oil!

The car will probably run terribly but its worth a try isn`t it?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
During development we have fitted many oiled filters and never had a come back on it. I have seen oiled AFMs but this was engine oil pushed back from the breather.

When re-oiling a filter after cleaning most of the people can't be bothered with the instructions and are impatient and in turn over oil the filter, which might lead to problems.

Working together with quite a few companies on thousands of cars only problems occured where people started messing.

Companies like BMC, which only sell oiled filters don't have any problems. K&N filter elements are oiled and seem to have no problems. Green filters are oiled and seem to have no problems. Sprint filters, which is one of the longest in business seem to have no problems. At least these are the results of our research.

BTW a number of sponges have done damage to engines for various reasons.
Phew - Cheers for that. I will follow the instructions to the letter;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts