Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i was wondering has anyone here fitted a k&n induction kit to their 156 gta ,does it sound ok or make any kind of difference ,also ive heard they make a bit of a difference to your fuel consumption ,anyone got any advice thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
:thumbs: I was advised against fitting an induction kit due to the fact that it sits so low down in the engine bay. If you drive through a puddle and it sucks up the water then, that's the end of your engine. I was going to replace the standard filter with a freeflowing K&N element. Also the airbox should help keep hot air away from it too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
ive fitted a BMC CDA setup and it feels better and fuel consumption is the same, no problems with water, just dont drive threw any 4ft deep puddles :D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Not sure. What people always underestimate with fitting induction kits/filters etc. is that the filter itself makes a minimal variation in performance. At most 2-3bhp. The majority of bhp/torque to be gained is through a well honed, smooth induction tract with minimal air flow interuptions and a correctly pressurised system to optimise torque and performance.

A CDA/K&N etc. is more for improved induction roar and arguably better response in my opinion.

I'd consider a 57i kit for mine purely because it would make a lovely roar - however I don't think performance wise it would be superior to the stock airbox and filter.

·
Registered
651 Posts
i fitted a k&n and it loves the v6, they sing together in harmony................its a beautiful thing:p

were abouts did you place the k&n GT...........7 horses is alot

·
Registered
238 Posts
the best option imo is a replacement K&N air filter in the standard air box

G

·
0 Posts
I put the 57i in the standard place ,taking air through the grill by the fog light :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I put the 57i in the standard place ,taking air through the grill by the fog light :)
Heat soak maybe? I know it must get hellishly hot under there I can often smell the heat from the engine bay/exhaust after some vigorous driving :D

·
Registered
651 Posts
ive got mine right in front of the fog light/grill.......works well i reckon, even better now ive taken the under tray off for summer( rained every day since i took it off :lol: )

G

·
0 Posts
Sorry Sean, I was thinking CDA ,the k&n has a pipe running down to the filter which sits behind the lower grill .therefore it suks cold air ,still lost power tho :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for your opinions all, ordered the k&n kit so hope its ok ,the only thing is it doesnt say if you get the heat shield with it ,just says that they come with the models that need them ,so may have to buy one to go with it ,seen some stainless ones on ebay ,not sure if there any good though, says they can be used with the k&n kits

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
I had a K&N induction kit on my first Alfa V6. The induction noise was just :wow: I love to hear a good induction system but hate the idea of losing power and my motor having to deal with hotter less dense air (if it's less dense I believe it has less oxygen?). I have on a few occasions considered cutting the bottom off a standard air box and mounting a K&N in there somehow and giving it a good cold (ram) air feed into the side of the air box. Therefore getting that lovely induction sound but also shielding it from the heat and not losing power.
Anyone else thought about this kind of thing?

·
Registered
651 Posts
surely its better to put the filter where the cold air is , rather than trying to route a cold air feed to it....tis what i 've done.
mine was originally in half an air box with air feed.....sounded better but perfomance was rubbish

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
surely its better to put the filter where the cold air is , rather than trying to route a cold air feed to it....tis what i 've done.
mine was originally in half an air box with air feed.....sounded better but perfomance was rubbish
But there is no real cold air in the engine bay - that's why I thought shielding the filter as much as you could would be best. I also don't want to affect my torque curve by bringing the filter closer/using a shorter intake route :) I can't really see why the performance would degrade from the standard filter :confused:
Where did you manage to mount yours then:confused: not much room under the 147 bonnet :(

·
Registered
651 Posts
the performance was worse because i had it installed in an airbox that had been cut in half (cone too big to fit in airbox), so it was suffering from heat soak.
mine is now situated in the bottom left corner of the bumper, sits directly behind the fog light,so it now has a longer intake, but as this is a gta thread, thinking about it there probably aint no room down there, is'nt there an oil cooler down there or something?

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
the performance was worse because i had it installed in an airbox that had been cut in half (cone too big to fit in airbox), so it was suffering from heat soak.
mine is now situated in the bottom left corner of the bumper, sits directly behind the fog light,so it now has a longer intake, but as this is a gta thread, thinking about it there probably aint no room down there, is'nt there an oil cooler down there or something?
Yes sadly there is an oil cooler there, no room at all to be honest!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts