Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all

i am having a K&N induction filter fitted this weekend - they offered free fitting, so i will take advantage, i have read the threads about damage to the MAF and heat soak, but nobody has actually said they have experienced it, just that it may happen?, can you tell me if you have had one fitted on a 156 1.8TS Veloce or similar and what experience you have had, i will post my experience.

i have also been told by a tuning company mentioned on here that it is not worth having it tuned with this fitted?, is this thought to be correct?, i am also going to get a stainless exhaust made by Tony banks in leeds when i am next over there....

regards
Andy

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
i just fit K&N in standard air box ,loads of lads re route thier pipe work into inner wing and ive seen cars fitted with filter in front of manifold(heat soak or what

oiled filters can mess maf up if it is over oiled ,this usually happens when owner maintains it them selves .....

save your money and just fit k and n in standard airbox and leave alone for 50k is you drive in normal road conditions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already committed to the induction, i will leave the box in place if i need to reverse? - i believe this is the case in over oiling, the company i bought from said its not oiled?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
already committed to the induction, i will leave the box in place if i need to reverse? - i believe this is the case in over oiling, the company i bought from said its not oiled?
unless k and n have change their design i think not and company your taking your pride and joy to are talking through their hoop:thumbs:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice alfa dave, i have just bought a spare set of alloys, refurbed them and coated them black and put them on the car, would look nice on your black alfa too...., got another set to do soon.

G

·
0 Posts
i just fit K&N in standard air box ,loads of lads re route thier pipe work into inner wing and ive seen cars fitted with filter in front of manifold(heat soak or what

oiled filters can mess maf up if it is over oiled ,this usually happens when owner maintains it them selves .....

save your money and just fit k and n in standard airbox and leave alone for 50k is you drive in normal road conditions
Exactly on the money Dave....

I use an Apiro dual cone filter... It fits perfectly where the airbox lid would be so it's protected by the original airbox itself from the elements and heat soak...
As Dave says over oiling can "possibly" damage your MAF, however... I personally have yet to see it:rolleyes:
I see over a thousand different types of cars per year at work as an MOT inspector, (ave/ 10 per day), hundreds of those have cone type filters on and obviously nearly all these cars have MAF'S of some form or another....

How many do you think I have failed on faulty MAF's causing emission failures as a result???
I can count them on one hand, and that includes the standard air filter cars too:rolleyes:

Lets face it, 50,000 miles of usage for £28 , don't bother cleaning it, just replace it for yet another 50,000 miles of trouble free motoring....

The definate plus side is Your MAF should have no reason to fail after fitting a new K&N or other derivative filter, You have just eliminated the very reason that they fail in the first place... Contamination through leaky airboxes and broken lugs on the lid!:thumbs:

No doubt the "Well I've never tried it but I wouldn't do it! Brigade" will start this one up again...... but I'll let you decide for yourself

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
a point i would like to mention is ........ how many MAF's have failed just after a service where a new standard filter has been replaced .......most garages tend to slip out slip in new without cleaning box out( garages are usually on a bonus so) ...any dust particles drop in base and end up contaminating unit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks grahameo, good points...

i will post my experience once its done, any thoughts on remapping and with this filter.

G

·
0 Posts
Remapping IMHO is wasted on petrols, leave it to the tractor drivers:lol: They need all the help they can get;) Clickety,clack,Clickety,clack,Clickety,clack whhoosh black plume of deathly smoke, next gearchange

Honestly, you would see very little improvement, not much "bang for your buck"

Invest money into getting uprated brakes and suspension instead.... Your car will "feel" much, much quicker point to point with the added bonus of being a lot safer too:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I've done the induction kit thing on several Alfa's. Better sound but less "guts".

For me, the only solution is an in box upgraded filter:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well guys, and anyone else looking at the K&N its been 5 months and its been running excellent, sounds good, the car is still in one piece, no MAF trouble, no heat soak and nobody has posted that its destroyed their pride & joy.

its your choice - but my experience is all good so far - 70k+ on the clock, running and sounding good - mind you i change the oil and filter every 10k if not before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts