Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

So I'm gong to have an oil change soon and I'm keen on the K&N HP-1010 Oil Filter.

Have the air filter and am most impressed.
This Oil Filter sounds the business and also give better throttle response.

The only issue is that on the K&N site, it's listed for 2003 upwards but not for my 2001
147 2.0L T-Spark.
Is this a typo?
Surely the 'facelift' version won't mean a different engine or oil filter size?

Any advice please?

I emailed them this anyway:.....

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Hi I have had a K&N air filter in my car for years now and am most impressed the difference it has made!

Only recently I saw you do Oil filters too!

I am planning an oil change very soon and am keen to get the HP-1010 or possibly the PS-1010
For my 2001 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0L
The thing is those filters are listed from 2003 upwards but if I put in 2001 it is blank?

K&N Products by Vehicle Search - Year, Make, Model, Engine Search

K&N Products by Vehicle Search - Year, Make, Model, Engine Search

I thought the only change in the body change ‘face lift’ was just that I didn’t think the engine changed?

Would the HP-1010 indeed fit my 2001 147 2.0L?

Is it just a typo on the website?
I entered my reg. number on Amazon and it says it’ll fit.

Please advise!

Many many thanks,

·
Registered
908 Posts
I would love to see the proof behind their claims of "better performance"!

Stick with oem is what I would say.

Reactions: sizewell

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Shame they don't do the filter for the V6, the nut would be useful for removal. Can't see how it can produce "better performance".

·
Registered
9,298 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm ok that sounds like a resounding 'No' then.
Could stick with OPM part from Alfa Vospers at £11 odd for a FIAT oil filter, or get a MANN one like last time.

On the website for K&N though-

'◾Designed for high flow rates to improve performance'

• 'K&N oil filters also use a resin impregnated cellulose filter media. This allows for higher flow rates while providing outstanding filtration. '

• Resin-impregnated filter media provides maximum filtering surface for contaminant removal

• Anti-drainback valve (where applicable) eliminates dry starts, prevents oil from draining back into crankcase during engine shutdown

• Traps 99% of harmful contaminants

• High-Flow Rate
K&N oil filters have filtering media that allows for higher flow rates while providing outstanding filtration. High filter flow rates are important in racing vehicles where heavier grade oil is used and the oil is pumped much faster than in a standard vehicle. When the engine is circulating oil at high GPM rates, the high-flow oil filter helps reduce the loss of pressure through the filtering process.

K&N Wrench Off Oil Filters - Oil Filters with a nut for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATV's, Boats, and more!

May 18, 2015 - Part HP-1010
Raises the response time on throttle. All I have to do is drain the oil 4000 miles later using conventional oil. Replacement? Well I think either 8k or 12k depending where you take your vehicle.

HP-1010 - K&N Oil Filters, Oil Filter direct from K&N

Well I'm not exactly racing my vehicle but after the very noticeable difference the K&N air filter made to my car I'm willing to give it a shot especially at a snip at £8.99 from Euro Car Parts I might just give it a go!

K&N Oil Filter

I like the idea of the valve also that claims to keep the muck in the filter and not to allow it back into the system.

After my oil changes its not long before the oil is black again.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Hmm ok that sounds like a resounding 'No' then.
Could stick with OPM part from Alfa Vospers at £11 odd for a FIAT oil filter, or get a MANN one like last time.
Or a genuine one from Shop4Parts for <£5. There's even a thread where you can get 10% discount code as a member of AlfaOwner.

I call 100% bulls**t on whatever that K&N filter claims to do.

You want a healthy engine? Buy a genuine filter at less than half the price, and change it twice as often as you would a K&N.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well I'm not exactly racing my vehicle but after the very noticeable difference the K&N air filter made to my car I'm willing to give it a shot...
Air filter - potential choke point in a system where the medium filtered is critical to performance. ie more air = more combustion (within reason of course).

Oil filter - potential choke point in a system where the medium filtered has no direct influence on performance whatsoever. ie more oil flow = no increase in combustion.

S

·
0 Posts
Only performance increase would be in reducing the effort the oil pump has to put in due to reduced back pressure. That said, the difference would be infinitesimal.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Complete waste of money. UFI filters are OE for most Italian manufacturers, and they cost chuff all - a few quid a filter.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Just by one like a mahle or other decebt make with a good bypass filter.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Only performance increase would be in reducing the effort the oil pump has to put in due to reduced back pressure. That said, the difference would be infinitesimal.
no, it wouldn't make a difference as then the oil bumps into the main and camshaft bearings, and sits there until the bearing draws the oil it needs (you can't force the oil in the bearing).

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Oil filter sounds like nonsense. The air filters give no performance gain either but at least they generate a nice sound when you accelerate and they last forever and look cool under the bonnet. The oil filter has an important but relatively simple job to do. Change it often with a standard part.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Or a genuine one from Shop4Parts for <£5. There's even a thread where you can get 10% discount code as a member of AlfaOwner.

I call 100% bulls**t on whatever that K&N filter claims to do.

You want a healthy engine? Buy a genuine filter at less than half the price, and change it twice as often as you would a K&N.
I'd buy into that. Change the filter twice as often as the oil. So if it is say 8,000 miles for an oil change, change the filter every four. You wont loose much oil and at least you are doing your bit to keep flow rates up. Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I'd buy into that. Change the filter twice as often as the oil. So if it is say 8,000 miles for an oil change, change the filter every four. You wont loose much oil and at least you are doing your bit to keep flow rates up. Sounds good to me.
May as well do the oil too... Once you've got the car jacked up and on the stands it's all of an extra 5 mins work, and it's not like 5L of half-decent oil is all that expensive... Works out at £0.005 per mile, or about 1/22nd of of my fuel cost ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts