Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As thread says:):) I'm thinking about getting one of these for my 159. Had them in the past for carb petrol cars and they gave a nice induction sound:)

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Commanderfish has one in his Brera - he's the boy to ask:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
With the filter emedded in the wing, are you really going to hear
a difference?

:confused:
You are quite right. I had a K&N replacement filter fitted a few days ago and I can't really hear the K&N induction sound. :eek: However the engine revs quicker from idle to 3k rpm, which is the most obvious difference to me. Also somewhat removes the flat spot at around 1.8k rpm. :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
As thread says:):) I'm thinking about getting one of these for my 159. Had them in the past for carb petrol cars and they gave a nice induction sound:)
Induction is slightly louder, the problem is the end of the intake is right round infront of the rad, so its always going to be muffled...here's what I've done:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/2211369-post95.html
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/161952-brera-cold-air-intake.html
There is a sponge filter by AutoDelta, that may be louder.
I have also read about a proto type carbon filter/intake system by Angel Tuning that give a good RAW, the filter sits in the wing, you just need to check pipe size from the maf sensor is ok.:thumbs:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/165968-induction-mods.html#post2554759

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Nice links jb - I was considering the same but took a different route!

I removed the air box and cut out the resonator pipe section from the middle (fiddly, just pulls out in a 156!) and then drilled some holes in the box itself :tut: I am running the standard filter at present but intend to replace with autodelta foam soon - I want to check how discoloured the standard filter gets near the drill holes first.

I was not happy with this as induction roar was little improved - I have now removed the resonator box that sits in engine bay to rear of intake pipe and bunged up the relavant holes. I know a bit raw but induction roar is great now and all seems to flow better :)

I am a tad worried about water intake but I feel my option is safer than jb's as all is hidden away and not in direct flow. Has all worked ok for past weeks or so - Will check filter this weekend.

Back to the point - I am going with the autodelta foam filter, preferable to the K&N oiled filter which can damage MAFs.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Nice links jb - I was considering the same but took a different route!

I removed the air box and cut out the resonator pipe section from the middle (fiddly, just pulls out in a 156!) and then drilled some holes in the box itself :tut: I am running the standard filter at present but intend to replace with autodelta foam soon - I want to check how discoloured the standard filter gets near the drill holes first.

I was not happy with this as induction roar was little improved - I have now removed the resonator box that sits in engine bay to rear of intake pipe and bunged up the relavant holes. I know a bit raw but induction roar is great now and all seems to flow better :)

I am a tad worried about water intake but I feel my option is safer than jb's as all is hidden away and not in direct flow. Has all worked ok for past weeks or so - Will check filter this weekend.

Back to the point - I am going with the autodelta foam filter, preferable to the K&N oiled filter which can damage MAFs.
nice work Dougie.
Just to clear up the K&N oil miff:
K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns
K&N do excellent filters, they come pre oiled, and in normal road use don't need re-oiling for up to 100,000 miles.:cool:;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eventually decided to get one. Fitted it today. It was a wee bit fiddly having to undo one side of the under tray. Time will tell how well it performs. Any K&N I have fitted in the past has been worthwhile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts