Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to fit a replacement filter on my GTV. I'm not looking for an exposed cone but rather a drop-in cylindrical filter or replacement airbox like CDA. Here are options that I am considering:

1. BMC CDA airbox
2. Drop-in K&N cylindrical filter
3. Drop-in BMC cylindrical filter

If I use a BMC CDA my thoughts were to fit 2 units to reduce restriction as they are much smaller than OEM and the only way they can flow better is by bypassing more dirt through larger holes.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I've had BMC CDA, K&N Cone and drop in(156 GTA) and BMC open and (Drop in in 156 GTA with modified airbox) in all my cars. But I won't give you a proper feedback because you're probably gona have a smart ass reply.:paperbag::biglaugh:

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
When I wanted to put in a drop in filter for my SW... Paul organized me a BMC the exact time I got hold of a K&N filter - I had them next to each other - there are no visible differences that would put the one above the other... I installed the BMC to my SW and I gave the K&N to Turbonutters for his project 3.2 SW.

I bought a CDA for my GTV 2.0TS racer and IMHO - the dimensions dimensions of it is very comparable to the cylindrical filter...
Cylinder filter
Height: 9.875 in (251 mm)
Inside Diameter: 3.75 in (95 mm)
Outside Diameter: 5.5 in (140 mm)

CDA: size (mm): D1 : 100 | D2 : 150 | L1 : 200

The filter surface area of the CDA is smaller, yes, but it has a better flow design. It will be seriously 6-of-one, half-a-dozen of the other or a quarter-of-a-case of the last.

With the CDA, you'll need to make brackets to fit it properly, but you could hypothetically route the piping to get a cooler air intake than OEM, but that is hypothetical...

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I personally prefer the drop ins (BMC or K&N, since they are just about the same) since I prefer an OEM look in the engine bay

Reactions: Ian Lusso

·
Registered
915 Posts
based on what Gertie says, i would go drop in. no difference in size but better flow rate equals more air? We had a K&N cone filter in the std airbox in the busso powered wagon. It was missing the pipe that connects to the fender which gave it a bit of a voorah induction sound. but not as imposing. In fact it quietened down a bit with the K&N over standard.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had BMC CDA, K&N Cone and drop in(156 GTA) and BMC open and (Drop in in 156 GTA with modified airbox) in all my cars. But I won't give you a proper feedback because you're probably gona have a smart ass reply.:paperbag::biglaugh:
Then why bother commenting? Your comment count dropping? :irked:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I wanted to put in a drop in filter for my SW... Paul organized me a BMC the exact time I got hold of a K&N filter - I had them next to each other - there are no visible differences that would put the one above the other... I installed the BMC to my SW and I gave the K&N to Turbonutters for his project 3.2 SW.

I bought a CDA for my GTV 2.0TS racer and IMHO - the dimensions dimensions of it is very comparable to the cylindrical filter...
Cylinder filter
Height: 9.875 in (251 mm)
Inside Diameter: 3.75 in (95 mm)
Outside Diameter: 5.5 in (140 mm)

CDA: size (mm): D1 : 100 | D2 : 150 | L1 : 200

The filter surface area of the CDA is smaller, yes, but it has a better flow design. It will be seriously 6-of-one, half-a-dozen of the other or a quarter-of-a-case of the last.

With the CDA, you'll need to make brackets to fit it properly, but you could hypothetically route the piping to get a cooler air intake than OEM, but that is hypothetical...
This answer is good. Surprisingly there is no kit for the GTV but there is one for the GTA's: ID87mm, OD150mm L200mm and it comes with fixing brackets and cool air pipe: CDA - CARBON DYNAMIC AIRBOX - ACCDASP-33

My question: How much extra fat is there in the system? For example can it manage higher airflow at higher RPM than stock? It does seem to have a larger ID than a CDA for the 280bhp 350Z (87mm vs. 81mm) which is a bit comforting.

How does it affect the sound of the engine? Currently I have very little induction sound as most of my sound is from the exhaust. Will it increase performance or is sound the only benefit?

Unfortunately the only place to get cooler air from outside on a GTV is below the bumper which would then increase the possibility of water ingestion. How else do I ensure cold air feed?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
My question: How much extra fat is there in the system? For example can it manage higher airflow at higher RPM than stock? It does seem to have a larger ID than a CDA for the 280bhp 350Z (87mm vs. 81mm) which is a bit comforting.

How does it affect the sound of the engine? Currently I have very little induction sound as most of my sound is from the exhaust. Will it increase performance or is sound the only benefit?

Unfortunately the only place to get cooler air from outside on a GTV is below the bumper which would then increase the possibility of water ingestion. How else do I ensure cold air feed?
TN made a 300whp with a 2.5 turbo using stock paper filter in stock housing, stock MAF - Yes I concur a turbo will suck as hard as it needs too, where a N/A engine you need to limit the flow losses... But I tell it for comparison sake.

The CDA should enhance the induction noise, yes, but not above the exhaust note - Pure Vanilla Cone is best for induction noise, but generally bad for hot air intake.

I forget how the total OEM GTV intake look like, but optimizing for flow from start to throttle might help:
Get rid of the flexi just before the throttle:
Alfa Romeo Induction Pipe GTV 3.0 V6 24v CF2/CF3 - Silicone - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts
Get rid of the resonator:
http://www.autodeltashop.com/images/en_151.jpg
or
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/22016129/372127316.jpg

Or have a complete pipe built up - just make sure to allow for enough engine flex

Attachments

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Ian, i've had both drop in & CDA, if you have a loud exhaust you'll hear nothing, not much difference in power from stock to drop in to CDA. I'm with Eric i prefer the OEM look although i did manage to use my stock pipes with my CDA.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I have a drop-in K & N with some metal bends and silicone joiners.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts