Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i'm a newbie and i'm the proud owner of a 156 1.8 :thumbs: for the past year and no doubt the owner of Alfa's for life now! My question is i'm looking for an induction kit for her and i've read all about how the MAF hates them :tut: . well tha oil one's anyway. i've read about the K&N apollo and it seems good but was wondering if anyone else has fitted one or seen one fitted and can let me know if its a good idea or not!! Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi there, not the same i know, but i'm using one on my 156 v6, and so far no probs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys and i think i'd rather not take the chance with oil filters! justybiker where did you place the filter in th engine? have you noticed much of a difference with it? Thanks again.:D

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
The oil only causes problems if you over oil it. If you put to much oil in you're engine you can have problems. :rolleyes:

What is the apollo filter?? A cone??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The apollo is as follows... Taken for K&N Website, "The K&N Apollo CIS (Cold Intake System) is a universal cold air intake system incorporating a washable/reusable K&N High-Flow Air Filter. The Apollo’s specially designed shape increases volumetric efficiency and provides the benefits of an open cone filter and standard air box in one unit. Heat build up is reduced which keeps the intake charge cool. Smooth internal features minimize air turbulence and maximize air flow.
The Apollo's outer shell is made of a durable lightweight material that helps keep incoming air cool as it enters the engine chamber. K&N's Apollo system includes a cold air hose with a specially designed radius end cap so cooler outside air can be directed into the engine."

If anyone knows if this would be a good investment please let me know as i dont want to pay big money for it if its dirt! Thanks again. :cool:

Attachments

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Haven't read any of the above, but have seen the picture, I wouldn't.

·
Vendor
47,143 Posts
I don't like the look of that corrugated pipe between the filter and engine, how can that reduce turbulence?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Guys do either of you Pud237 or G5een have aftermarket filters on your cars? What would you reccomend if any? Thanks.

Also i've seen this on youtube dont know how to put a video on this but here is a pic of how he set it up in a 1.8 t spark.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
I don't have one, yet. ;)

A cone filter situated low down toward the wheel arch is what I'm told is best for mine, but, I don't do much mileage and so don't really have to worry to much about loads of dirt or puddles of water.

The thing with those type of induction kits is that no matter how good the actual filter may be, it still has to draw air through a tiny opening down a narrow, cheaply made, tube. Seem quite restrictive IMO.

Was speaking to Mr GSR the other day, his silicone tubes and filters work great, in theory. Not totally convinced although I can see the logic behind the madness.

·
Vendor
47,143 Posts
I have a BMC CDA on mine Lee. Not too blind to think it is unbeatable, but it is certainly better than standard for throttle response, eagerness to rev, mid-range urge, top end power etc. My intake is a bit of a bodge job though, I have a BMC CDA as point of entry for the air, then it goes through the Autodelta carbon intake pipe (crap), then through the MAF, then into the stock flexi section which has the crankcase breather built into it. Then into the throttle body. But it goes well enough for me, and I'm not spending £300 on a GSR pipe no matter how good they are, I need that money for shocks, springs, brakes, all of which will help me "go faster", rather than a few more bhp. When I want even more power I'll get a NOS kit :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi again, bearing in mind , my motor is the v6, it sits neatly between the battery and oil filler cap. done a couple of 200 mile runs with it. i think it revs a little better at high end , but the sound is pretty awsome , NOT TOO BOYRACER ISH, if you know what i mean

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea thats exactly what i'm looking for, good sound without lookin like a fool in a civic :lol: , and any bonus to the performance is always good. Can i ask what kind of money you paid as i'm waiting on a shop to get back to me and would like an idea of what is reasonable. Thanks again justybiker! :thumbs:

Also Pud i heard a BMC CDA is expensive, but i think it might be a better job all round. I'm not sure now which would be best....

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
If you'e looking more for noise (but not to much noise) and not bothered about perfomance then get it. :thumbs:

·
Vendor
47,143 Posts
My 156 V6 came with it fitted, and I paid £300 for BMC CDA fitted and the car remapped on my JTD :thumbs:

BMC CDA retails at £180 I think, but I don't think I'd pay that much for it. Maybe wait for one to come up second hand, or on ebay.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've not yet seen an Alfa listing for the K&N Apollo. The BMC CDA is a perennial favourite. I've ordered a Pipercross Viper, but 3 weeks on, I'm still waiting because they are made to order. Methinks Pipercross need a kick up the backside.

BTW, the corrugated pipe these filters use is upstream of the filter because the original ducting from the filter to the throttle body is retained.

The difference of power between the filters is likely to be small. Whatever one you go for, use a brand name so you can be sure of decent filtering.

Another thing is a chap from Angel Tuning has told me oil from these aftermarket filters does affect the MAF. However, if is malfunctions, use some spirit cleaner to clean the MAF, and it's life should be unaffected. Leave it dirty though, and it will fail completely very soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi again. ok, let me clarify this induction kit thing.
from what i'm reading this mega priced k&n kit, i personally wouldn't touch with a 10 foot poo stick. as for the oil, WHAT... you dont oil up the standard air filter so whats so special about oiling up an after market kit. i don't understand why you would coat something that will attracked all the crap and dirt. logically thinking engines want to breath clean air, and lots of it , so this is done with a cheap paper filter. so on that basis,,,now dont you laugh, i went to halfords, paid my 30 squid and bought home a conical silver mesh universal induction kit. quality wise its not that bad. is the perfect size for the engine bay, it suits the engine , what with the chrome intake pipes, it took all of 30 minutes to fit ( i had to make up a bracket ) . all in all i've got a cheap induction kit that sounds good with , i would expect a couple of horsepower extra, but thats not what i was after, the reason for getting the kit was because the previous owner or whoever had mangled the airbox right up , and that is too expensive to warrant replacing. i hear lots of moans and groans when people read this but trust me, for 30 quid your laughing all the way to the bank .

·
Registered
48 Posts
if anybody is remotely interested i can post a couple of pics, but i fear i have lost all credibility by now .

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Not at all. It sounds just lke the kits Blitz do for Jap cars like Toyota. Sound great and perform really well- well at least on the Celica 190 VVTLi:cool: Please post pics.

Many after market filters and induction kits use a filter which isn't quite fine enough/able to hold the dirt by itself. By using an oil on the foam or cotton element, it greatly increases the filter's ability to filter smaller particles and increases the filter's dirt retention capacity. This is not a new idea, and was commonplace 40+years ago.

Nowadays, it allows a slim filter of just a couple of millimetres thick to filter the air whereas a paper and foam element combined in the newest filters may be 40mm thick. This obviously does not slow the gas velocity the same, but I could not comment on the pressure difference either side of the filter which appears to be the yardstick for measuring performance efficiency as opposed to particle retention efficiency.

Another area of debate with sealed kits is the induction pipe itself. Not only must the filter be as unrestrictive as possible, but the inlet pipe must be unrestrictive and feed the maximum (or maximum likely to be needed) amount of air to the filter element itself. Very large pipes are not as necessarily as efficient as a smaller bore pipe for a given application. This is because the change in pipe bore (if the kit is larger than OEM) will cause a corresponding change in air velocity which may consume some of the engine's power. Bigger is not always better.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I have a K&N 57i intake kit on mine, and I'm very happy with it. I still have to get round to making my heatshield out of carbon fibre & putting in the cold air feed, but up in higher revs (mainly at higher speeds when the air's moving a bit in the engine bay) it definately moves faster through the revs.
The noise out of it is just mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm too ;)

I don't like the look of that corrugated pipe between the filter and engine, how can that reduce turbulence?
i think that's supposed to be the cold air feed and you attatch it straight onto the tubing by the MAF with the other end of the filter? :confused:

that's how i'm seeing it anyway....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts