Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have bought a K&N 57i induction kit for my 120. I have absolutely no car experience at all, being 18, but i'm going to fit it myself!! However, I have looked at the fitting instructions, with the dodgey black and white photos taken from a punto and I've lost a lot of confidence.

Has anybody got any detailed photos of how to fit one, or a description for dummies?

Thank you!!!

Danny

·
Registered
375 Posts
probally best to post this on the techincal tuning forum i know that there not to difficult to fit, have you tried to google it???

·
Registered
339 Posts
Check your kit against the parts list - is everything there?

The OE metal clip that fixes the inlet air pipe to airbox will be binned - do you have a jubilee clip to replace this with (don't know if this comes with the kit) If not, buy one from Halfords etc.

Are you clear on how to remove the standard filter housing?

Fitting the K&N is simply a case of removing the complete OE airbox then clamping the filter onto the inlet pipe.

Best way to get confidence is to open the bonnet and with the kit of parts do a mental run through of the change.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
if you decide against fitting it mate, go for a new panel filter.

i went for a "green" panel filter. gives a nice sucking and blow off noise lol

i know there has been alot of debate in the past about whats better for performance panel filter or induction kit, i dont know...

·
Registered
339 Posts
The simple truth is that panel filters flow no more air than a clean paper filter. As long as (based on 6cfm per square inch) your filter panel flows enough air then the panel is fine and you only need concern yourself with inlet / exit pipe diameters, however, panel on a MiTo is pretty small, and certainly for a 155 or 170, restrictive whatever material you use.

There is an ongoing argument about exposed cone filters sucking in warm air, but when you stop to look at the quantities of air moving through the system, you begin to understand that the total air mass in the engine bay is circulating so quickly (every couple of seconds or so) that heat transfer is not a significant issue. Log inlet air temps on an OE airbox against a 57i kit - whilst driving - and you'll see what i mean. I use an open cone in my MPS and have no issues whatsoever. Where it does fall down is low speed traffic and heat soak. Still, considering you're going so slowly, it doesn't matter a jot that you may be loosing a bhp or two as there's so much power in reserve. The intercooler airflow is FAR more important. I've run back to back RR sessions on the MPS where no air over the intercooler saw a rise of over 20C in IAT and a drop in peak power of 18bhp.

Anyway, point being, worry about filter area first and foremost and then about heatsoak. I will probably fit a K&N Apollo on the MiTo purely to reduce induction roar rather than concerns about warm air...

With a de-restricted cat outlet (making the airbox the limiting factor in gas flow) i'd be interested to see what kind of gains a decent setup would give...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
makes sence james

I had a induction kit on my old civic. sounded pretty cool

im going to wait untill a real nice induction kit is released for the mito, mabye a carbon fiber one!

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
ahh that looks pretty cool

is that what you are going for? pretty expensive vs a pnael filter thou
But a panel filter will give no power gains over an OE airbox whereas the Apollo has the potential to make a significant improvement in unrestricted airflow. The idea is, the less pressure you drop drawing air through the inlet, the less work your turbo has to do and consequently the more effective airflow you see into the engine. This is all dependent upon the exhaust not being overly restrictive - which if there is indeed a choke in the Cat, it will be...

Investigation to be continued Friday...

·
Registered
375 Posts
The simple truth is that panel filters flow no more air than a clean paper filter. As long as (based on 6cfm per square inch) your filter panel flows enough air then the panel is fine and you only need concern yourself with inlet / exit pipe diameters, however, panel on a MiTo is pretty small, and certainly for a 155 or 170, restrictive whatever material you use.

There is an ongoing argument about exposed cone filters sucking in warm air, but when you stop to look at the quantities of air moving through the system, you begin to understand that the total air mass in the engine bay is circulating so quickly (every couple of seconds or so) that heat transfer is not a significant issue. Log inlet air temps on an OE airbox against a 57i kit - whilst driving - and you'll see what i mean. I use an open cone in my MPS and have no issues whatsoever. Where it does fall down is low speed traffic and heat soak. Still, considering you're going so slowly, it doesn't matter a jot that you may be loosing a bhp or two as there's so much power in reserve. The intercooler airflow is FAR more important. I've run back to back RR sessions on the MPS where no air over the intercooler saw a rise of over 20C in IAT and a drop in peak power of 18bhp.

Anyway, point being, worry about filter area first and foremost and then about heatsoak. I will probably fit a K&N Apollo on the MiTo purely to reduce induction roar rather than concerns about warm air...

With a de-restricted cat outlet (making the airbox the limiting factor in gas flow) i'd be interested to see what kind of gains a decent setup would give...
its the induction roar that i hate and you say the k&n apollo doesnt make this noise or is reduced? that does in interest me alot is the apollo a bit like a BMC CDA?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes - i think!

That is, the Apollo is in essence the same as a BMC CDA - an enclosed filter with a cold air feed pipe.

Both will still give a degree of induction roar as the housings aren't as well damped as the OE airbox, but that is a sell point to a lot of the market. You'll also get resonance that wouldn't occur in the OE setup. It will, however, be quieter than an open cone - how much i can't say. You also have the option of lagging the filter housing and inlet pipe using fibreglass tape or other materials that will further reduce the noise levels.

If noise is a real issue for you, the key would be to put together an inlet pipe to the Apollo using good quality multi-layer silicone hose to a nice stagnant air source like the wheel inner arch. Front facing ram-air is a bad idea in an everyday road car!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yes - i think!

That is, the Apollo is in essence the same as a BMC CDA - an enclosed filter with a cold air feed pipe.

Both will still give a degree of induction roar as the housings aren't as well damped as the OE airbox, but that is a sell point to a lot of the market. You'll also get resonance that wouldn't occur in the OE setup. It will, however, be quieter than an open cone - how much i can't say. You also have the option of lagging the filter housing and inlet pipe using fibreglass tape or other materials that will further reduce the noise levels.

If noise is a real issue for you, the key would be to put together an inlet pipe to the Apollo using good quality multi-layer silicone hose to a nice stagnant air source like the wheel inner arch. Front facing ram-air is a bad idea in an everyday road car!
Hmm i would probally get a bmc cda but i would not know where to put the cold air feed? I had a cone filter and i loved the turbo blow off noise but not the horrid growl of the induction i even bought a smaller cone filter to see if that would decrease noise but it did not. I was also surprised when i stopped and checked the cone filter that it was very hot and i was worried about heat soak so took it off. What would you use or do to reduce the noise?

·
Registered
375 Posts
hmmm sorry for thread jacking but iam probally gonna just get an uprated panel filter i just cannot live with the induction roar its just to boy racer plus the panel filter looks stock when you open the bonnet etc. I might get a bmc cda or a cheaper alternative the original BMC CDA's are almost 200 quid where as you can get an unbranded one for about 50 quid?? so if i can get one cheap enough to do a test i will. But there is a lot of good arguments for both sides of the induction argument?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
yer i just kept the stock cold air feed and got a new panel filter. no ****ing about with installing really, no induction roar, and much less restrictive then the standard filter

·
Registered
375 Posts
yer i just kept the stock cold air feed and got a new panel filter. no ****ing about with installing really, no induction roar, and much less restrictive then the standard filter
towney do you get any louder turbo whistle or blow off noises with an uprated panel filter, i like the turbo noises and you can hear them on the standard car if you listen very carefully. If the panel filter makes the turbo noises a bit louder then that would be a bonus.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
yes it does. a new panel filter gives a nice turbo blow off noise. also gives a wooshing noise when you rev hard, but can only really hear when you got the windows down.

with a 40 mile drive to and from work i couldnt stand the induction roar i dont think.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The panel filter is NO less restrictive than the paper filter you removed, unless it was quite dirty.. It's been proven in countless tests that clean paper filters flow just as well as 'higfh performance' filters of the same area. The only performance advantage is when the paper filter gets dirty it drops airflow whereas the K&N (or similar) will not.

The ONLY way to increase unrestricted airflow is to increase filter area.

Regarding cheap filters from ebay - i wouldn't touch them with somebody else's barge pole!! They will have poor particulate filtration and nacker MAFs, turbos etc....

I'll have a look on friday re potential routing for cold air feeds.

Another option is to scour a scrapyard for the biggest airbox that will fit under the bonnet and lash it in. 156 2.4jtds have good size airboxes!

·
Registered
375 Posts
The panel filter is NO less restrictive than the paper filter you removed, unless it was quite dirty.. It's been proven in countless tests that clean paper filters flow just as well as 'higfh performance' filters of the same area. The only performance advantage is when the paper filter gets dirty it drops airflow whereas the K&N (or similar) will not.

The ONLY way to increase unrestricted airflow is to increase filter area.

Regarding cheap filters from ebay - i wouldn't touch them with somebody else's barge pole!! They will have poor particulate filtration and nacker MAFs, turbos etc....

I'll have a look on friday re potential routing for cold air feeds.

Another option is to scour a scrapyard for the biggest airbox that will fit under the bonnet and lash it in. 156 2.4jtds have good size airboxes!
hmmm like i said there are good arguments for and against aftermarket filters and getting a bigger airbox might be a good idea i have always toyed with the thought of putting a cone filte in a big airbox but that is basically a BMC CDA. The cheaper alternative to the BMC CDA is from amazon take a look i dont think it looks to bad but 40 quid is to much to pay to test it out and see how well its made etc
Universal High Performance Sports Car Carbon Fibre Air Filter With Flexible Hose Induction Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

On the panel filter vs cone filter debate i have always had uprated panel filters as stock panel filters i have got have always gotten dirty quickly and they tear very easy but uprated ones are always good quality and are very easy to keep clean etc plus you do not get the horrid induction roar with a uprated panel filter. Also if towney has gotten better turbo sounds with his uprated panel filter it makes it all the more interesting

1 - 20 of 20 Posts