Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For £200:cool:

OK, I'll have to collect in the Spider but I'm happy to have one.

What fixings should come with it:confused:

In truth I'll probably never use it but as the car us a RHD Seaking UK car, I wanted one for completeness.

Pics of the advert attached:)

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Hi Squadrone - sounds like a good price!
here is an old post of mine on what you require to fit the hardtop

so, if your car has never had a hardtop you need all the following:
1. Change rear brackets from round chrome ones to oblong black hooks, and shorter screws (the longer screws through the hood cover chromes, are too long for the hardtop brackets
2. Two Side "J" clips (these are the most important, if you do not want the hood flying off and demolishing a car behind you!) Anyone who tells you the front brackets will do is a nut!
3. The black plastic blanking plates to hide the above "J" clamps (see photo for one)
4. (Note: If your car was originally delivered with a h/t this will already be there) Heated rear screen relay (your car will not have one, it will only have the space for one!) - I cannot remember the item number for this, it will be SIPEA, but can let you know if need be?
5. (Note: If your car was originally delivered with a h/t this will already be there) Heated rear screen switch, is a double switch that replaces the single Hazard lights switch and the blank (at least that is what it does on my left hooker)
The hardtop reduces some slight scuttle shake, though do not expect a coupe! If you are unlucky, you will need to adjust the angle and height of the side windows to fit the hardtop snugly. I was lucky mine just fitted. If the seals are good, the wind noise is not bad, certainly there is a bit of it! When tightening down the side clamps you need an 8mm spacer under the sides, so as not to tighten too much!
My tip: put black cloth tape on the little stainless strip which goes around the back of the car from door to door, as this will get worn by the hardtop! Blast all seals with Silicone before mounting!
It is a two man job and takes at least 20 minutes to mount it properly.....
Here are photos:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I made some CAD drawings of the Z brackets some time ago & posted them on here, have a search if you need to get some made.

Reactions: Squadrone Rosso

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers both. My car originally came with a H/T but it's been "lost" over time.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow of what's on it but those hooks & slide catches don't look familiar but the top is described as with fixings:)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
del Priore used to list the side blanks for the hooks (Abdeckungen für Hardtop, item 19 on this link), but not sure anymore if they still do, as well as a lot of various seals etc....might be worth sending them an email?
Satz Abdeckungen für Hardtopbefestigung seitlich, links + rechts-239-19

Re-originals (US) list side moulded seals at 275 dollars each! (but are they for the S3/S4 hardtop?)

I found the plastic covers for my hardtop NOS on Ebay (original alfa)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that link:thumbs:

They seem to have everything in stock but boy is it expensive:eek:

Those covers list at €85 L & R - does that mean per pair?

Window seals are €99 a side:(

For the use it'll get, not sure what to do.......

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
They seem to have everything in stock but boy is it expensive:eek:Those covers list at €85 L & R - does that mean per pair?
I would imagine that is for the pair, but i would not be so sure they still have these in stock as I don't think they update their web that much!

These covers are just a piece of rather crappy slightly padded plastic with clips on the back! Sort of thing if you found it in an autojumble you might offer a fiver for......max!! I can think of a lot better things to spend 85€ on.

Before I got mine I was thinking to make them myself (thin bit of plyboard cut to shape, thin layer of foam, cover with black Vinyl and put some sort of clip in the back, would be fairly easy if your DIY skills aren't that bad)

Personally I would just keep an eye out on ebay, they might turn up!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again:)

I wonder would standard auto rubber seal dealers have the top to window seals?

Otherwise, I'll patch them up with some rubber adhesive or black silicone.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Those seals are very complicated indeed (and more so to remove!) there was a whole thread on alfabb in 2007, regarding trying to make a short run of them - they said if 100 people ordered them it would cost 1100 dollars a set! (the tooling itself was estimated at 10 grand by a rubber manufacturing expert!)----------of course the whole idea fizzled away, nothing was ever done.

follow this........ it makes interesting reading (post #24 shows how complicated a cross section the seals in fact are!):
Hardtop seals - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

the rear seal is the easy one (rear bottom of hardtop to body) a simple D section

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hardtop use.

I drove mine home with the hardtop on when I first got it. Wrapped it in bubble wrap and put it at the back of the garage. Haven't used it since! I don't expect to put it on again until I sell it (no immediate plans).

I guess that having a hardtop for "completeness" is a good plan. It was on my list of "must haves" when I was Spider shopping (along with; S4 & red!).

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a hardtop, also mostly unused. It seemed like a good idea at the time but it just takes up space in the garage. The rubber seals are not in good shape so it is more draughty than the soft top and seems more claustrophobic. I had grand plans to strip the black vinyl off and paint it the same red as my car... one day perhaps. When everything else is working :lol:

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I actually use my hardtop a lot more than my softtop!

I just flip the softtop up when I am caught in the rain in summer....it stays down most of the time until I am back in the garage, then I put it up to keep it taut and put a sheet over it to protect it.

In winter the hardtop is very useful, but then I use my car in winter if needs be (not everyday, but sometimes you have to also use a car in winter, especially as my only other means would be the bicycle, and that is no fun in winter:))

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to drag this thread up again:eek:

It appears that the seals are available again, albeit "on request":-

Del Priore

I'm over in Essen in April for the Techno Classic & they're usually there.

Good to deal with?

I might ask then to bring some along as fancy restoring the hardtop this year, even though I don't even use the soft top unless it rains when I'm out:eek:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just out of interest, do you keep the soft installed when you put the hard top on for a protracted amount of time?

Luckily, mine came with a hardtop!

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
My S2 came with a hard top and have thought about selling it as I am unlikely to use the car when a hard top is essential. I would keep it for when I eventually sell, but its the space. Is the presence of a hard top likely to improve the sale price significantly?

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Sorry to drag this thread up again:eek:

It appears that the seals are available again, albeit "on request"...
I think you'll find, with del P, that 'on request' means not available!
There was a discussion on BB whereby a US company said they could reproduce them if someone would send them new originals......but who has new originals?!

@FrenchSpider....yes, you certainly do keep the soft top installed!.......unless you want to try to remove all those (now very likely rusted!) studs/nuts fixing the back of the soft top to the body;)...they like to snap off!
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/188943-soft-top-rear-side-chrome-trim-install.html

1 - 20 of 31 Posts