Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When your Alfa runs dry on petrol as mine did yesterday I knew it was nearly about to run out so was going to top the thing up last night, anyway the car stopped before I'd even got off the drive. So got into Mrs Techmonkey's U-Boat with my trusty 5 litre petrol can and got it filled up emptied the whole contents in to the Alfa and tried to start her up all I got was a splutter I thought maybe the crank sensor had failed so started to look at previous threads no indication of a crank sensor failure. So I thought I'd leave it until the morning tried again this morning still not starting, then I remembered a thread I'd seen on here about Alfa's and slopes our drive slopes but not a great deal the back of the car was slightly raised by about 2 inches, Anyway out with trusty 5 litre can again and another trip to the petrol station got home and another 5 litres into her and yep you've guessed it the damned thing sprang into life first turn of the key so an important lesson has now been learned by myself that pushing the car off the drive the next time it runs out would have saved me a lot of anguish and gnashing of teeth:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
:lol::lol::lol:i thought this sort of thing just happened to me. i was supposed to go out in my jts one evening and the tank was prety low, but not too low so i thought. tried starting it but nothing. about to get aa out i had a brain wave to move the car off the drive which has a slope. mama mia the car started straight away. it must be how the tank is shaped or something, but it comfimes they dont like slopes when running low:thumbs: not had anything happen like this with any other car

·
Registered
146 Posts
Might also be related to the volume of air you had to displace from the fuel lines before it started ;) Caught me out when I ran my company 1.6 Sierra out of fuel :rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
The slope is thing really annoying, I lose a quarter tank if I park downhill. Anyone know if there's a fix for this, an aftermarket tank or something?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:eek: when I rang out of petrol I found exactly the same thing ... I read on the interweb that with "modern" cars they need about 10l of fuel to provide enoughpressure for the fuel pump to start working again once empty'd ...

or summint like that

·
Registered
854 Posts
The slope is thing really annoying, I lose a quarter tank if I park downhill. Anyone know if there's a fix for this, an aftermarket tank or something?
Here`s an aftermarket fix for if your parked on a slope and run out of fuel...............a 10 litre jerrycan or 2 x 5 litre ones :cheese:

Colonel, park uphill and gain 1/4 of a tank :) . The fuel gauges are useless anyway,well mine is . I get over 200 miles on the first half according to the gauge and about 85 miles on the second half !!:confused: and if I tap it with my finger it goes up just under an 1/8th !

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Here`s an aftermarket fix for if your parked on a slope and run out of fuel...............a 10 litre jerrycan or 2 x 5 litre ones :cheese:

Colonel, park uphill and gain 1/4 of a tank :) . The fuel gauges are useless anyway,well mine is . I get over 200 miles on the first half according to the gauge and about 85 miles on the second half !!:confused: and if I tap it with my finger it goes up just under an 1/8th !
keep tapping it and you'll never have to fill up again :p :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
The only sure fire fix is to.... yep you guessed it fill it up more often. I know this then leaves the dilema I have. mmmm lots of petrol. time for a drive. doh!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts