Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just tested my thermostat on the driveway by looking at the temp of the coolant on my iPhone whilst holding the top radiator pipe. I have noticed when driving that it takes quite a while to get up to 90 on the temp gauge and often drops down again afterwards.

Anyway temp got up to 70 with the top hose staying cold then it got hot and the temp held at 70. This was about 77 or so on the gauge. Temp then held steady for quite a while and actually dropped when I revved it which I assume corresponds with the pump running faster putting more coolant through the rad cooling it down.

Guess I need a new thermostat as it isn't running at the correct temp most of the time!

Only issue is that I have the poor idle once up to temp issue which will in theory become more regular now. ?

Thermostat isn't stuck open though, just opens too early. Is this a common issue with a failing thermostat? I just thought they stayed open all the time when knackered?

Anyone know where to source a replacment at a good price?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I could check but I have been running the car since I bought it a month or so ago so thought it would have passed by now? How many bleed points are there and where are they?

Surely an air lock wouldn't impact the temp at which the top pipe gets hot though? It's down to the thermostat opening? Which is right before that section of pipe?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thinking about it, if the car has been running cold for some time that could be the cause of my cold starting and poor idle issues as it would have been over fuelling leaving carbon deposits and would not have got to temp to get rid of them.

Question is, how do I get rid of carbon deposits in the engine that are already built up??

·
Registered
121 Posts
How do you check the temp with an iPhone?
When my thermostat failed it would get up to temp if sat idling for a while but as soon as I started moving it dropped to about 60 again. After the thermostat was changed it gets up to 90 after about 5 minutes or so and never moves.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use an obd2 scanner app on my phone with a wifi dongle plugged in to the diagnostics port.

Tells me live data for a few bits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts