Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this afternoon i test drove a 54 plate 1.9 JTD with 90,000 miles on the clock. Prior to getting into the car the dealer mentioned that the gears were stiff and this happens a lot on Alfa GT's.
When i drove the car on numerous occasions it wouldn't go into 3rd gear, now i don't know if it was me trying to change the gear too quick but is this common with the GT or is the gearbox on its way out?
I.ve had a 147 and 156 in the past and never had this problem before, that said any car infact.

Any knowledge of this would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that the car was really tempting, i need to go back and take a further look and test all the electronics out but the stiff gearbox just slightly worries me.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
There's a common fault with the 147 and GT having a stiff gearchange.

Often the lever won't spring back to its central position in neutral.

There's plenty of threads explaining how to clean up and lubricate the bushes on the selector cables, sometimes they need replacing.

It looks a fairly easy job to do, but check the car again for those symptoms if you can.

·
Registered
499 Posts
This may simply be a stiff selector and not a gearbox problem at all. There's a thread on here somewhere explaining how to fix it on a 147 - I'll have a look and see if I can find it. I've just sorted my GT which had the same problem - took a couple of hours tops, and was fairly easy. Any good indy will do it for you for around £50.

Best way to check if it's this is to try moving the lever left to right. If it doesn't re-centre itself, then that's your problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smashing, thanks very much.
I also noticed the window wasn't closing as expected when shut repeatedly and locked, not sure if this is another cause for concern or another red herring?

I said to myself after my 156 consigned itself to the scrappers yard a couple of weeks ago that i wouldn't get another but I cant help myself. The car just looks the biz, just wary of buying a money pit!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Try a soft reset of the windows if you get the chance. Wind them both down together, hold the buttons down for ten seconds, then wind them up and hold the buttons up for another ten seconds. If they still misbehave on opening/closing the door, you may have a more serious problem. In my experience, window gremlins seem to come and go, but a 54 plate may just be getting tired. A bit of silicon spray on the rubber seals can help, as well.

·
Registered
860 Posts
you are right to check both windows, open and shut the doors 4 or 5 times if the window does not go up and down you have a problem you will need a pair of noduells fitted in both doors you have to do them in pairs it will be about £300 to fix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts