Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ez all ...I'm new here
Just bought a 2007 oilburning blackline ...Simple matter of the miles I got to cover..

It has 25000 miles on the clock an I paid £9600 from wessex garages.

I cannot wait to pick up the car...Anybody else delt with this garage?

I asked about the waterpump/belt issue because although its low mileage it's still at 4years..
Will I need this work done or am I ok for a bit?? Any advice would be great..

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Ez all ...I'm new here
Just bought a 2007 oilburning blackline ...Simple matter of the miles I got to cover..

It has 25000 miles on the clock an I paid £9600 from wessex garages.

I cannot wait to pick up the car...Anybody else delt with this garage?

I asked about the waterpump/belt issue because although its low mileage it's still at 4years..
Will I need this work done or am I ok for a bit?? Any advice would be great..
personally i would be more concerned if it had done high mileage without a belt change, rather than being 4 years.

the waterpump would probably worry me more. So, on balance, i would be inclined to sort both issues fairly soon. No point holding off another year .....false economy if it breaks beforehand.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new motor!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Yes i would agree with T3yls if you have some spare wonga get the waterpump done, and stick some quality synthetic oil in her. Ive had my Gt jtd for nearly a year now and honestly its the best car i have ever owned. It is the type of car that makes you want to drive the long way home! such a thing of beauty and such a fantastic car to drive. I spent a bit sorting out the chassis and now its unreal! the way it corners and grips for a front wheel drive is amazing. Enjoy.:)
Damien.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats good to hear man.. When I pick her up I have a 5hr journey to get home..I have never looked forward to a long drive before..

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Funny how all us new GT owners have a very long drive home. I did too despite the fact I walked to collect it. Don't know how that 100+ miles got on the clock.......:)

I'm also at the 30k/4yr point and considering to get the waterpump/timing belt done.
Also, when your suspension starts to creak (once it drops below 10˚ and it will pre 30K miles) when having your suspension arms/bushes replaced...whilst its up in the air get the Anti-roll bar bushes done too, don't bother with the £6 plastic rubbish - spend the £25 and go for PowerFlex or Polyeurothane (apologies for the spelling) replacements, they make a massive difference

I made a rare trip to Asda Skelmersdale tonight and parked a million miles from other cars (as you will start doing) and as I was just getting into the car a bloke walked past the front, did a double take at the grille and just said "nice car" I find it happens alot to GT owners so get used to it :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just couldn't find a nice enough example to near where I live...

Wow suspension goes that fast? Why can you only tell when its cold ...? How much did it cost to replace that lot?

I'm gettin the feeling alfas dent easy in carparks haha.. Cheers for the advice.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Hi Gritty,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news regards suspension. It's a common fault on the 147/156/GT platform. The squeaking over bumps gets worse when its colder as the rubber bushes are more less compliant when cold. A knocking from the centre of the car when in a straight line (ie the ARB is loose and unloaded) indicates the front Anti-roll Bar bushes have gone. Off top of the head it was about £400 for the lot earlier this year. But it is worth replacing with Powerflex (or equiv) bushes as they will last a lot longer than standard OEM parts.

Theres another reason for parking a long way from the supermarket entrance...you get to stare longingly at it on the walk back! :)

Enjoy your GT!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So one last point...As this is an alfa garage..Do you think I would be right in asking them to fit a new pump before I pick up the car? It seems a bit much to spend that much on a car to then have to take it straight into dry dock for some work..

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
So one last point...As this is an alfa garage..Do you think I would be right in asking them to fit a new pump before I pick up the car? It seems a bit much to spend that much on a car to then have to take it straight into dry dock for some work..
...cambelt has to come off, so a new one would usually be put back on.

so just to change the waterpump (which costs about £50) ...it would take a few hours labour, plus new belt and waterpump. Overall value is prolly £350 ....good luck if the garage agree to do that.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I took my Gt to autolusso when i got her. Ned (the boss) gave me an honest low down on what my car needed. Also had her undersealed at autolusso, wise move if you plan to keep the car. The underside of our GT's are not overly protected from the factory. Would get the waterpump done for piece of mind.

Damien.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The comment about suspension is interesting as I have covered 125k miles and have only just needed to have the the drop links and anti roll bar bushes replaced - I think it must be down to the road surfaces that you drive on most of my driving is on motorway, very little side road with pot holes although I have bent two multispokes in the past three years.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts