Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new to the site :D
Owned my current vehicle for 5 years now (took 3 years to get it running & it still has a long way to go).
Love the cars as they just have so much "attitude"!
There's nothing like the sound of a high revving Alfa engine!

cheers

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
G'day James! Welcome to AO :)

I like the look of your avatar - how about some full size pics? (please!)

Have to agree with you about the sound of the engines :cool:

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Just seen your pics in the garage....

Wow!!! :cool: That is one lovely looking car - my compliments!

Have you lowered the suspension? It looks quite low on the arches.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Hi James, welcome to the Alfaowner state. :)

Enjoy your stay. You have a lovely Alfa! :cool:

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Hi James, good to see another 1750 owner on here. :p
Lovely Car you have there, I am sure Mr Rick Salfas, will be along soon to say hello, he has an Ochre one as well.
Are they Delortos's?, mine has Webers, but Ricks has the Dellortos
as as well. Perhaps they fitted them to Ochre one's only... ;)
Love the Alloys BTW, Chromadora's??. :)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
G'day James, lovely classic Alfa & welcome to AO. :)

I'm off to the owners garage now to look at your pics!

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Hi James,

Welcome to AO. :)

That's a nice car you've got, but I've got a question for you. What do you mean by "matching numbers?"

I'm not trying to be critical, but I've never heard the term applied to Alfas before -- if anything, from what I've learned about Alfa production "matching numbers" is anithetical to Alfa Romeo production. ;) :D

I know there are probably two numbers on the car -- one on the body and one on the engine (or in the engine bay) -- so I'm guessing that's what you mean, or are you referring to something else?

I know that "matching numbers" is a really trendy restoration term, but I also know (at least in this part of the world) it has no real bearing outside the antique Corvette world, even though it gets applied to every make and model out there, whether it is physically possible for them to have matching numbers or not (and in most cases, it's usually "not").

Corvettes were noted for having all their parts stamped and dated -- everything from glass to engine components. When Corvette people refer to matching numbers, they mean all a car's components match -- not just the body and the main engine block. Alfa seems to take a "whatever is in the parts bin today" approach to building its cars, much to the chagrin of people trying to restore these things later in their lives. :rolleyes: :cheese:
--Toronto

More on matching numbers (for those who care ;) ):

"Almost every mechanical part made for a Corvette has a date code, either cast or stamped into it. These simply identify when the part was made. To the factory, this date probably made sure that they didn't leave any stock laying on the shelf too long, although if you have ever watched any factory production line run, it is doubtful if anyone ever reads the dates. The purpose of the date to Chevrolet was probably to ensure a means to track any defects should they arise. If a part dated March 3 and one dated March 21 were both defective, attention could be paid to those parts built between those dates for other possible defects.

"Today, these are used to determine if the part is correct for that Corvette, as an engine with a date code of D 16 5 (April 16, 1965) could not be correct for a '63 Corvette as the engine was made after the car was made. Parts too early are usually not correct either, as they would have been installed on an earlier vehicle, such as a B 23 3 (Feb. 23, 1963) in a '67 Corvette. NCRS provides a window of 6 months on date codes prior to the build date of the car. Obviously, a part on a car could not have been made AFTER the car was made. (See Exceptions.) But given how new items were constantly loaded on shelves, with existing items being shoved further back each time, a part could sit for many months before being assembled on a car. Usually, the parts were used within a few days or weeks but there are many documented original cars that have parts several months old.

"Be sure to notice that some parts have both a casting and a stamped date code. These can be several days apart. The stamped date code is when the part was assembled and should be the one considered."
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3000/matchnos.html

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Just guessing here Tor, but I would have thought James means the Engine Number matches the body number, as being the original Engine.
As you know, the 105 series, have (Virtually) interchangeable Engines and many 1750's have had 2000 Engines put in them. it is gratifying to learn when you check with the factory, that your Engine is the original one fitted to your Car. Probably not important, but nice to know. :)

I can't imagine many Alfa Owners being anal enough to worry if ALL, the various bit's and bob's are original, but the Engine is (probably) the most important componant.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Green Cloverleaf said:
- how about some full size pics? (please!)

Thanks for the welcome -
these are pretty much all the pics I have at the moment (younger sister has pinched my digital camera for a holiday)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IanM said:
the Engine Number matches the body number, as being the original Engine.

You're Correct Ian - only meant it's the original engine as I don't think any Alfas have a matching engine to body (could be wrong though)

- Cromodora wheels
- Webber Carbs
- Yellow Koni shocks and springs when put on bought the car a little lower so I assume they were cut or came slightly stiffer and shorted than the ones I had on previously. Cornering is now pure pleasure although speed humps are now best taken on an angle.

·
AO Silver Member, Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09
1,315 Posts
James1750 said:
- Cromodora wheels
- Webber Carbs
- Yellow Koni shocks and springs when put on bought the car a little lower so I assume they were cut or came slightly stiffer and shorted than the ones I had on previously. Cornering is now pure pleasure although speed humps are now best taken on an angle.
Howdy, pardner!

Almost identical spec as my car, save Dellortos and a 2 litre lump:
www.kappanet.co.uk/pig

·
AO Silver Member, Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09
1,315 Posts

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Very nice Bill - makes most of the other cars look dull by comparison :cool:

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Hi James
Oooo what a lovely car.
(The 1750 I'm on about :p ;) :rolleyes: :D )
Has it never had a radio in it, or have you replaced the dash at some time?

Here's my matching twin! Do you know what month yours is? Mine was built in September 1968.
Please note pics taken in bright sunlight so she looks less "brown"!
:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Cheers
Rick

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RicksAlfas said:
Has it never had a radio in it, or have you replaced the dash at some time?
Do you know what month yours is?

I had a look through older threads and saw your little car B4 - SWEEET!! ;) :) :D It's great to see another Ohcre coloured Alfa out there!! There ain't that many of us I don't think. As you said out of the bright sun they do look a little browny - It would be interesting to see one in Ferrari yellow (the colour of the 76 Dino).

I replaced the dash when I first got the car - unfortunately it didn't have the original radio in it at the time so until I find one it will be driven listening only to the sound of the carbs sucking in large amounts of air.

not positive of the month - do alfa have a production list you can match your vehicle to find this out?

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Besides the VIN (on the A-pillar visible through the windshield) my Spider also has a stamping plate inside the driver's door. The month and year of manufacture are on there. That's why I in my earlier post I mentioned that there are at least two numbers on the car ;) -- the VIN and the engine number are the main two and the door plate is the third.

Now I have no idea if earlier Alfas, non-Spiders, non-Canadian or non-North American cars have the door plate since my Alfa expertise relates to precisely one car ;) but you could check your car for a door plate. Also if you dig through the forum somewhere there should be an e-mail address for a woman in Italy who is in charge of helping owners research their vehicles' histories. (Hint: try the classic lounge.) Her name is Elvira. I've never bothered to contact her because all used cars in Ontario come with full ownership and registration history from the government, and I know exactly what specs my car had when it was first registered.

I think the doorplate also has additional information about the car's spec, but I could be very wrong about that. Again, I'd offer to look for you but you have to wait a few months before I could supply you with answers. ;)
--Toronto

1 - 20 of 22 Posts