Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals :cool: ,

Great forum, glad I found it !

I recently purchased a second hand Alfa Year 2000 2.4 JTD, 114k miles on the clock, everything seems to be in order and I'm generally pleased with the car.... apart from recently (only had the car a few days) when revving the car it seems to 'cut' feeding fuel (similar to an RPM limiter) at around 3.5-3.8k RPM in most gears and the "fuel management light" has come on permanently (sometimes it goes off by itself after hitting this barrier of sorts?!). :cry:

I do know that the car had a new turbo, airflow meter, eco valve? and some other turbo related parts, radiator etc fittred about a month ago.

Some notes:

It idles smoothly and the power that is delivered seems powerful and smooth up to the aforementioned 'cut off' problem...

Also.. whether this is normal or not, but at around 30-40 mph in 4th gear (very low rpm say 1200-1300rpm) the car is a bit "shuddery" until I get above 40mph, perhaps this is normal and i'm not used to the diesel yet hehe?

Unfortunately my nearest Alfa dealer is 100 miles (living in the Highlands of Scotland sucks sometimes!), so was hoping for some prepatory advice to fire at the dealer before I get there, or ideally some advice that I can mention to local garage that are only 2 miles from me, I know my local garage has a machine to read error codes? :).

Look forward to chatting on the forums. Many thanks!

M

·
0 Posts
welcome to AO Pickled...

congrats on ur new purchase...don't know much about the diesels...hopefully someone will be along in a mo to help you

look forward to the pics dude

all the best

Mike

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hi bud & welcome to AO :)

Would reckon from what you say it sounds related to the work done - does it just run out of power suddenly?

When it happens does the car make with the black smoke (overfuelling)? Sounds like the boost is cutting off (boost control valve maybe?) and the engine isn't getting enough air for the rpm, resulting in the ECU just cutting everything, resulting in the error flagged up by the light. Do you have anyone local that could get the fault code from the ECU? Someone on here will be able to tell you what it means.

Good luck getting it sorted :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi James,

Yes it seems to deliver the power quite smoothly as it should, it's literally as you say, the power just cuts right off until the revs dip below a threshold then re-engages... rinse and repeat etc. As far as I know there is no black smoke... :(

I shall hopefully get an error code from my local garage, they have some sort of machine to read an ECU which they did on my last Accord Type R..

·
Registered
665 Posts
Try disconnecting the MAF - hopefully the engine will still run and if it clears the problem then get a new MAF. But it could be something else...disconnecting the MAF is quick and easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it booked in to local garage for Friday (non Alfa dealer),

Just noticed something else more concrete, it will rev in 3/4th up to about 3500 rpm, CUT OUT for about half a second (during which time the red injector light comes on) then continue revving up past 3500 to about 4800 rpm?

I hope I haven't bought a nightmare :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
181 Posts
All of this sounds like MAF and turbo problems - do you know if the turbo was brand new item as you cannot fit reconditioned turbos to the 156 JTD. I know as I just had to fork out for a brand new one :(

Remove the MAF sensor from the MAF which is at the front of the car near to the air intake/filter. If it runs better with the sensor disconnected (there is a default setting built into the ECU when the sensor is not connected) then you'll need a new MAF which are about £100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts