Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new 159 1.9 JTDM Ti and really loving it. Just one issue though, it sounds like the rear driver's side brake is rubbing slightly, there is a very quiet but audible whistle coming from that area which disappears when I brake. Will this go away once the brakes 'bed in' or should I get back to the dealer to have it checked?

Otherwise I'm loving it!:p

D

·
0 Posts
If it's disappearing when you brake then I shouldn't imagine it needs bedding in, but that your fears are correct in thinking something is sticking. Whatever it is though will be an easy enough fix I should imagine, probably just a sticking caliper / brake pad etc that needs freeing is all, :D

Get it into the dealer and get 'em to sort it so you can hit the road again!!!!

Oh, and get some pictures up ASAP!!! :eek: :D

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I'd phone the dealer, tell them what's happening and suggest that you'll take it in in a weeks time if it hasn't stopped.

U

·
0 Posts
There is another thread running on this - a few 1.9 diesels are getting this rubbing noise - and no it hasn't gone away as the brakes bed in.

No cures as yet, other than not driving so slowly that you can hear it! :lol:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Annoyingly, I have just discovered a ratlle from the B pillar. It almost sounds like road noise leaking in round the door seal or the door seal rubbing or something. Anyone else experienced this, I had a search but to no avail.

Also jumped in the car this morning, rear window was slighlty misted due to cold weather. I switched on the rear window heater and noticed a wide band in the middle of the rear window that didn't clear. It looks like two or three of heating elements are not fuctioning.:mad: Is this aneasy fix?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've now had the car for 8 days and the fault list is growing...:mad:

In addition to the rubbing/brake squeal noise, rear windscreen issue and noise from B pillar/door, I have a rattle coming from the dashboard which I've read about on here, Blue&Me keeps repeating the same track over and over (any suggestions) and the steering is pulling quite badly to the left. Don't know if this is connected to the brake noise.

Have to say, I'm still enjoying the car and after spending a week in the Highlands with work, have really felt the engine loosen up already due to covering 800 miles. Just hope the dealer can produce a quick fix for all my flaws.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I've now had the car for 8 days and the fault list is growing...:mad:

In addition to the rubbing/brake squeal noise, rear windscreen issue and noise from B pillar/door, I have a rattle coming from the dashboard which I've read about on here, Blue&Me keeps repeating the same track over and over (any suggestions) and the steering is pulling quite badly to the left. Don't know if this is connected to the brake noise.

Have to say, I'm still enjoying the car and after spending a week in the Highlands with work, have really felt the engine loosen up already due to covering 800 miles. Just hope the dealer can produce a quick fix for all my flaws.
re the Blue&me issue select voice command button and say "loop off" this will turn off the repeat function

U

·
0 Posts
Annoyingly, I have just discovered a ratlle from the B pillar. It almost sounds like road noise leaking in round the door seal or the door seal rubbing or something. Anyone else experienced this, I had a search but to no avail.

Also jumped in the car this morning, rear window was slighlty misted due to cold weather. I switched on the rear window heater and noticed a wide band in the middle of the rear window that didn't clear. It looks like two or three of heating elements are not fuctioning.:mad: Is this aneasy fix?
Rear window is an easy fix - get a new one under warranty!

Re "the noise" - yours may be due to a brake rubbing, but in most cases it is seems to be a weird engine noise. Find a speed where you hear the "rubbing" - coast along at that speed with the clutch pressed down and the engine idling - voila the noise disappears. Bring engine speed back up - the noise comes back. Once you have worked this out, you can get the noise to come back even when stationary by getting the correct engine speed.

Very weird - seems to be some kind of resonance effect - investigations continue!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rear window is an easy fix - get a new one under warranty!

Re "the noise" - yours may be due to a brake rubbing, but in most cases it is seems to be a weird engine noise. Find a speed where you hear the "rubbing" - coast along at that speed with the clutch pressed down and the engine idling - voila the noise disappears. Bring engine speed back up - the noise comes back. Once you have worked this out, you can get the noise to come back even when stationary by getting the correct engine speed.

Very weird - seems to be some kind of resonance effect - investigations continue!
I notice it more at slow speeds, you get an intermittent noise as if a disc is warped and the pad is fouling at certain areas. There is also a slight whistle which disappears once the brake pedal is lightly pressed so I'm thinking it is definitely wheel/rotation based and not engine/clutch related.

re the Blue&me issue select voice command button and say "loop off" this will turn off the repeat function
That explains a lot, I haven't tried to switch it off yet but I'm pretty sure it is switched on. "Loop" on my mp3 player means that once the playlist has played all of the songs it contains, it goes back to the beginning and starts again, I had it switched on, didn't realise it meant "loop" one track!

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts