Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, picked up my 159 yesterday, very impressed with the pull from the engine, just a little confused, the dealer said its a 1.9 and it comes up as a 1.9 on the dvla database but on the door shut of the b pillar is a silver alfa sticker which says 'alfa romeo 159 2.0 jtdm elegante 170 bhp' has anyone else had this?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi all, picked up my 159 yesterday, very impressed with the pull from the engine, just a little confused, the dealer said its a 1.9 and it comes up as a 1.9 on the dvla database but on the door shut of the b pillar is a silver alfa sticker which says 'alfa romeo 159 2.0 jtdm elegante 170 bhp' has anyone else had this?
Apparently, http://ipocars.com/imgs/a/a/f/u/x/alfa_romeo__159_sw_1_9_jtdm_16v_progr_2008_3_lgw.jpg is a 1.9.

And http://ipocars.com/imgs/a/a/g/i/z/alfa_romeo__159_sw_2_0_jtdm_125kw__navi__xenon__18inch__turismo_2010_15_lgw.jpg is a 2.0.

Some visible differences. Which does yours look like? The main difference is the presence or absence of a heat shield at the front of the engine over the very obvious turbo.

Based on age alone, I'd say yours is a 2.0 unless it sat in a pound for a very long time as an unsold car.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Yep, open the bonnet and take a look! Would suggest the sticker might be more correct than the DVLA.
Presume Alfa put the correct plastic engine cover on too!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I would say that the Alfa plate is the correct one so your car should be a 2.0 which is a good thing. The last 159s may have appeared to the market via non-Alfa dealers who wouldn't have known the difference between a 1.9 and a 2.0. Alfa UK seem to have dumped remaining stock to car supermarket operations such as Motorpoint who were selling them off at bargain prices, I recall seeing new ones for around £15- £18k, 25-30% reduction from list price.

Elegante was an unpopular trim in the UK, being a watered down version of the Lusso trim but without the leather seats (Elegante has AlfaTex) or folding mirrors and not enough cost saving to justify the changes. The trim level was only introduced at the back end of 2009 when sales of 159s had plummeted and of course, production ended completely in 2011. "How many left" reports there are 15 x 2.0 and only 6 x 1.9s (plus 1 auto), so they are rare cars, even if rarity in this case does not result in an enhanced value.

The bad news is that you should really insure your car under the correct configuration to avoid any complications in the event of an accident. Do not give them any wriggle room if you need to claim. I'm not sure what the DVLA do about wrong classifications but it would be worth enquiring.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It does look like the 1.9
That is bizarre then - but wouldn't be the first time that Alfa Romeo "Quality control" had slipped up because there was always the chance that they would fit the nearest components to the production line rather than the correct ones! Alfa Romeo themselves should be able to verify your car from the chassis and engine numbers.

If I recall correctly the 2.0 is in a lower Road Fund Licence category than the 1.9 so it would be as well to know accurately.

·
Registered
650 Posts
when i took my car in to get the timing belt done, they had it down as a 2.2 and so consequently got the wrong belt. its was ARUK fault so it wouldnt be the first time this has happened.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
So if there only 5 1.9 elegantes, mines white so i wonder if its the only white one
The run out models seemed to be mainly white, red or grey - so you are probably one of about 2 or 3 max, although it is fair to say white was a very popular colour in 2010. :):thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts