Alfa Romeo Forum banner

just picked up mint ti leather recaro interior

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  alcooker 
#1 ·
whats best stuff off shelf to keep it looking great

oh by the way yum yum :cheese:

#12 ·
On the strength of this thread, I bought some Gliptone leather conditioner from the eBay link above. I used to have Gliptone leather car scent tags hanging and under the seats in my old Lancia trying to make the plastic seats smell like leather. I went for the Gliptone conditioner thinking it would smell differently, but it's the same.

To my nose the Gliptone smells like classic cars, great if you like that scent.

Today I bought some Autoglym leather cleaner and some Autoglym leather balm, I just managed to do part of my seat before it got dark.

Thoughts at the minute are it's very good stuff. Last week I was fortunate enough to have a ride in a fairly new Bentley, top to toe leather, those things smell amazing. I can honestly say I've got Autoglym on my wrists and fingers and it smells exactly the same as the Bentley, I'm smelling my fingers like a good looking 16 year old.

If anyone wants my unused bottle of Gliptone, just PM me and I'll send it on at some point this week.

I'm going to do the Sportwagon and the GT, if they smell like a Bentley, I'll be well happy.
I was searching for a thread where people had talked about the application of the Autoglym, can't find the thread so if anyone can re-advise how to apply it without it getting at all shiny, please speak up.

From my nose's point of view-

If it's old classic leather you want your car to smell of --Gliptone

If it's a new showroom smell you're after-- Autoglym

New showroom le

#17 ·
Finally got around to Autoglymming the leather on both cars today. Sprayed the Autoglym leather cleaner on then used an old nail brush and scrubbed gently, left it for 2 or 3 mins then wiped off. Seats came up like new, not that they were bad, just glazed in some places. They were totally matt like the rear seats, so then i carefully rubbed the Autoglym leather balm in, tbh I couldn't tell whether the balm was actually penetrating the leather or just disappearing into the rag, the latter I suspect. The seats became pretty glossy after the balming, it went to a satin finish after buffing off, but it still didn't look as factory ready. I then took a few hot cloths and wiped over the seats, they're nice and matt now. I've probably taken the balm off except the stuff that might have penetrated the leather and the stuff that got in the perforations.

I didn't want to lose the scent of the leather balm so I soaked some old bits of suede in the balm and hung them on the metal fixings under the seats, unsealed suede takes a lot of balm up which is why I don't think the seats actually take any balm into the leather.

Smells magic now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.