Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Photoshoping paint on my 166

:alien:So if anyone here was thinking on painting his 166, and was stuck on what colour to choose, have a look!

I was curious on what paint colours would look good on the 166. Factory colors are pretty much limited, and most are dark colors for the old people who usually drive these cars.
On internet there were almost no tuning colors or anything, so I had to do something.
Spending €1500 wasn't an option, sooo I tried photoshop :hehe: I never had done that before, but surprisingly it doesn't look bad ! :thumbup:

Here are some pics. Most are pretty bad, as it was my first try. Notice my inlaws, they didn't notice I painted the car almost 12 times while they were working in the garden :lol: :
https://postimg.org/gallery/2nd7au19c/

These were my second try. Definitely my favourite color, in "blue Audi" color. The dark headlights look scary, they're awesome :love:
https://s19.postimg.org/x094i1tub/166_AZUL_audi_faros.jpg
https://s19.postimg.org/j5atzkzf7/166_AZUL_audi.jpg

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
less of the old please........:)
:lol: Sorry, I don't know how is the term for mid-40s people. Not old, not young... then what?? :)
While in the 25-35 range, often you don't have a damn penny, having a bad job, lots taxes and bills all around.
So when the 166 was out, they had in mind "mature" colours. Traditionally crisp and living colours are for the younger, darker are for the older.
Now, young people like me can buy these cars, having 300K miles on it :lol:, so maybe in 5 years I can afford fully painting it, why not start searching the best colour :lol:
Cheers!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Its shocking as I always think I'm about ten years too young to have a 166. Everyone around me has very youthful cars and here I am at the age of 31 with an alfa 166 in boring silver.

I always said I'd never buy a silver car as uts incredibly boring. However keeping a 166 on the road was too much love for the brand andcar to not let it go to waste.

Still some of those colours look fab and really modernise the car.
I always liked the red or the dark red but the blue looks fab. Id like to see a 166 in the atlantico blue that the gt comes in. Or even the 4c red.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its shocking as I always think I'm about ten years too young to have a 166. Everyone around me has very youthful cars and here I am at the age of 31 with an alfa 166 in boring silver.

I always said I'd never buy a silver car as uts incredibly boring. However keeping a 166 on the road was too much love for the brand andcar to not let it go to waste.

Still some of those colours look fab and really modernise the car.
I always liked the red or the dark red but the blue looks fab. Id like to see a 166 in the atlantico blue that the gt comes in. Or even the 4c red.
I'm still going to 30 this year :beer:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Agree with you, the Audi Blue with black lights looks mean, but try the black lights, black lower front vents with anthracite alloys on the Blanco and i think you will find a new favorite !

·
Registered
537 Posts
a 166 is an old mans car, feeling gloomy about that, better consider moving to a 147 gta

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Trouble is, if you buy a yoof car, you'll get accused of having a mid-life crisis..... :)

I've got the 166, the Grand Cherokee and use of the missus' Westfield. We intend buying a 124 Abarth in the near future which will in all likelihood be the replacement for both the 166 & Jeep, although probably(!) won't be as good for carrying half a ton of ****e to the tip as the Jeep is, nor as good for wafting along a motorway as the 166 is.....

Meanwhile, I'll be building my next space-frame, no-bodywork-to-speak-of car.

Currently 56.

Make of that what you will, you young whippersnappers..... :biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
What is striking is how modern the car still looks. If Mazda or someone came out with a basic design looking like this today, nobody would think it looked old.

EDIT: I get it with the 156 as well. When I bought it, people would ask how much it cost and I would tell them what I paid and they'd be incredulous that it could be so low. Then I'd tell them it's a decade old and they'd be even more puzzled: "So it's not a brand new car then?!"

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I remember a thread on here about 166 owner ages....many were in their twenties (back then!) The 166 appealed to youngish people of a certain psychology....those that didn't want to go along with the crowd in trying to be different from the old fogies... ....the 166 gives a classy understated option....when did you ever see a 166 being driven by an old codger? Of course you never did....you never saw another 166 being driven by ANYBODY!

Never thought about the "old man" colours....agree they were conservative...except maybe Rosso Red which just looked terrible...red/pink 164? YES! red/pink 166? NO!

That blue looks UBER cool man! The white is a no no....a 166 for a cocaine snow king??

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
The blue does give it a very modern look from that angle. Never been quite sure of the 166 rear though. Mostly the lights are a bit cumbersome by modern standard. But the drive and the way it wafts along really is another league above most alfas of that age. So I really can't complain.

Odd thing but I wish the steering wheel was a bit smaller in diameter. Would give it a slightly more sporty feel too.

Nit picking though. It's really a great car when its working perfectly.

Just wish mine had a v6. But a facelift with v6 is just do expensive vs a twinnie.

·
Registered
68 Posts
nice photoshop skills ! I like darker colors better
I am 21 years old and I own a black alfa romeo, with special number plate, dressing always semi-formal(black shirt mainly) and rayban classic sun glasses, the police never dare to stop me since I got the car, when I used to own a mitsubishi lancer, live colors(red and grey) and a sporty youth look, the police used to stop me and check my papers, but now not anymore hahah also the car is extremely rare here, there's only two 156's in my town.
It's the thing I like about the alfa, it just looks gorgeous but hell, I am still repairing it since the day I got it, spent at least 1000$ so far lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
The white is a no no....a 166 for a cocaine snow king??
If I ever get to respray mine it will be white :jester: Snow king or not it just looks spectacular :thumbup: Need to source those TI wheels first though :paranoid:

Reactions: goremohekan

·
Registered
537 Posts
Nothing wrong with a mid life crisis, I had an early one and got into agriculture, crisis 2 is getting back to alfas, must plan the next one.......

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cocaine? Snow King? It's just a white car hahaha!

Any ideas you may have just tell me. Post pics to change colour , whatever. Get hurry because I have pretty much spare time on afternoons, but just for now! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts