Alfa Romeo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thank you - next decision is whether to keep it entirely original or to fit the twin Dellortos ( which came with the car) and a fast road handling kit /15" GTA replicas . Given the suspension needs a going over I'm tempted to upgrade it at the same time . Any views? :ponder:

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Thank you - next decision is whether to keep it entirely original or to fit the twin Dellortos ( which came with the car) and a fast road handling kit /15" GTA replicas . Given the suspension needs a going over I'm tempted to upgrade it at the same time . Any views? :ponder:
New bushes all round essential to start with, (unless you have proof they have been done recently), check the ball joints and steering box as these have a big impact on how an Alfa feels - leave the upgrade for now and just get used to driving it in standard form then if you still feel the need after 1k or so go ahead. Bear in mind if you alter the spring rates/height etc the ride will suffer and the 105's are not really sports cars to start with.
I'd fit the Dellortos if they are in good condition but you'll need a new manifold and airbox or some K&N's or Pipercross, the open filters (which I have) give a lovely addictive induction roar but unlikely to release any more power

·
Registered
498 Posts
New bushes all round essential to start with, (unless you have proof they have been done recently), check the ball joints and steering box as these have a big impact on how an Alfa feels - leave the upgrade for now and just get used to driving it in standard form then if you still feel the need after 1k or so go ahead. Bear in mind if you alter the spring rates/height etc the ride will suffer and the 105's are not really sports cars to start with.
I'd fit the Dellortos if they are in good condition but you'll need a new manifold and airbox or some K&N's or Pipercross, the open filters (which I have) give a lovely addictive induction roar but unlikely to release any more power
Thanks Joe90GT - sound advice - i'm taking it down to Gus at Alfatune for a fuller check over and Ill take it from there. Fortunately the carbs came with the inlet manifold and plenum so we should be good to go with the right breathers, new gaskets and a K&N etc . :thumbu p:

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I'd leave the wheels as is - not a big fan of the 15" Gta replicas. The 14" in the same style look better (less like a toy car).

The Ti/TZ replica wheels that Classic Alfa do would suit the car better I reckon

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Very nice - is this the one that had US spec bumpers? - much of a job?
There is a bumper bar conversion kit that Classic Alfa do.

I was fortunate in that the bumpers had been off when the bodywork was restored in 2011.
The bumpers have telescopic dampers which are secured by a 13mm nut. The front is easily accessible. The rears I couldn't work out how to access...but thankfully there was no nut on the end of the dampers...whether these nuts were left off in 2011, or never had them I don't know. I'm just thankful they weren't there as the telescopic dampers seem to disappear into box sections behind the petrol tank/rear quarter panels...

The rear bumper is otherwise straightforward. The only complication being that the American license plate lights are mounted on the rear panel instead of the bumper. As it is a major task to change all the little details of the interior and exterior to euro spec. I decided to unashamedly leave the car as an American. I covered the plate light mounting holes in the new bumper with those £2.99 blanking discs that you get for stainless steel sinks. It was either that or spend another £70 odd on euro plate lights...but then have four lights...as the rear panel would need repainting if the American lamps are removed.

As for the front bumpers...the quarter bumpers are fairly straightforward...the Scudo needed some thought as there are no mounting points. The original lower mounting point (which on my car had nothing mounted on it) can easily be removed, it is just spot welded on. I mounted the Scudo with a home made wide U shaped aluminium bracket to the metalwork above.

The only other thing was to spur in the original side lights, which are in the headlamps. So now the Spider had four sidelights at the front.

Basically a long days work for the front, and about 2-3 hours for the rear. But that is me, an amateur working carefully and hunting round for nuts, bolts, copper washers, aluminium for a bracket etc from my limited collection.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
There is a bumper bar conversion kit that Classic Alfa do.

I was fortunate in that the bumpers had been off when the bodywork was restored in 2011.
The bumpers have telescopic dampers which are secured by a 13mm nut. The front is easily accessible. The rears I couldn't work out how to access...but thankfully there was no nut on the end of the dampers...whether these nuts were left off in 2011, or never had them I don't know. I'm just thankful they weren't there as the telescopic dampers seem to disappear into box sections behind the petrol tank/rear quarter panels...

The rear bumper is otherwise straightforward. The only complication being that the American license plate lights are mounted on the rear panel instead of the bumper. As it is a major task to change all the little details of the interior and exterior to euro spec. I decided to unashamedly leave the car as an American. I covered the plate light mounting holes in the new bumper with those £2.99 blanking discs that you get for stainless steel sinks. It was either that or spend another £70 odd on euro plate lights...but then have four lights...as the rear panel would need repainting if the American lamps are removed.

As for the front bumpers...the quarter bumpers are fairly straightforward...the Scudo needed some thought as there are no mounting points. The original lower mounting point (which on my car had nothing mounted on it) can easily be removed, it is just spot welded on. I mounted the Scudo with a home made wide U shaped aluminium bracket to the metalwork above.

The only other thing was to spur in the original side lights, which are in the headlamps. So now the Spider had four sidelights at the front.

Basically a long days work for the front, and about 2-3 hours for the rear. But that is me, an amateur working carefully and hunting round for nuts, bolts, copper washers, aluminium for a bracket etc from my limited collection.
Good work - much nicer without them

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
very nice bumper conversion on that blue spider. Well done!
the 4 side lights up front wouldn't bother me....must look quite cool at night:)
(The UK MOT might kick up a fuss, but then just remove/disconnect the 2 smaller bulbs in the headlights for that)

81 - 100 of 133 Posts