Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last, I've bitten the bullet and ordered some winter tyres from MyTyres.com. Everyone in Europe seems to use them apart from us, and although we don't often have severe winters like they do in mainland Europe, they seem to work well in the wet and low temperatures, regardless of whether there's snowfall or not.

All well and good then! :thumbs:

Or maybe not? The confirmation email I got included this: Instructions for wheel mounting:
A rim mounting kit with centring rings and special screws for bolt circle offset is included in delivery.

And this: Item No.: KRA--TREZ6KA38--R-149242--ZJFYN--4136--ALD
Order No.: ********
Item: Winter complete wheel for ALFA ROMEO GT 937 (Type 937 167bhp) 1910cc Bolt circle 5/100.00, Rim DEZENT RE dark 6.50 x 16 (LK 5/98, OS 38) with Avon Ice-Touring-ST 205/55 R16 91H
Amount: 4
Price: £ 124.60
Total VAT included: 498.40 £
Includes 20 % VAT = 83.07 £

Delivery: 39.60 £
Delivery costs amounting to 39.60 £, because 4 you have chosen complete wheels.
------------------------------------------
Total Amount: 538.00 £
------------------------------------------

Is this just a standard email they send out, or am I going to have to use a conversion kit to get the wheels on my car? I don't really want to have to do that. I've emailed them to this effect but am still waiting to hear from them.

A shame if I cancel the order, because this seems like a pretty good price. The tyres are pretty well reviewed - I don't imagine the alloys are all that brilliant but for winter tyres I'm not particularly bothered. And they're in black, so they'll easily touch up :).

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Sounds like they are including the "wobble" bolts or whatever that you might need in with the package.
Looks like it.
They are 5x100mm PCD wheels and you need 5x98mm.
So the wobble bolts get you over that.
If you want locking bolts, you'll need wobbly locking bolts too.
Centring rings because the wheels won't have the 58.1mm centre-bore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot guys! :thumbs:

Ah, the old 'wobbly bolts'...never used them before. Are they a pain? How reliable are they? I'm not really bothered about locking bolts to be honest, my car doesn't get left in dodgy places too often.

Centre rings don't sound too much of a problem.

But are wobbly bolts a pain in the arse, an undesirable complication?

Looking on the mytyres website, all the alloys seem to be 100mmPCD.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Lots use them without issues as far as I know. Never used them myself (only because I've never needed to).

I'd also imagine that's why the wheels are cheap - instead of stocking masses of fitments they just hold a few and manage the rest with wobble bolts.

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Most aftermarket wheels will be 5x100PCD as there is a large catchment area for that (ie a lot of VW/Seat/Audi).
The centre-bore will be oversize, hence the centring rings to bring it down. Hopefully there will also be clips to hold the centring rings in the wheels, otherwise they can end up stuck on the hub.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Most aftermarket wheels will be 5x100PCD as there is a large catchment area for that (ie a lot of VW/Seat/Audi).
The centre-bore will be oversize, hence the centring rings to bring it down. Hopefully there will also be clips to hold the centring rings in the wheels, otherwise they can end up stuck on the hub.
I just got an old set of 16 inch teledials and got winters put on them. worked out about 250 quid and i can re use them again this year once it gets cold enough

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Almost time to dust mine down again. Continentals on 16" Teles. Problem is the car squirms and generally handles like a donkey with them fitted.:rolleyes: At least they grip better in the cold than the F1's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had a little look on t'internet and seen how the wobbly bolts work - not a lot to them, really! Seemingly just an extra 'floating' tapered collar at the head of the bolt to allow for a little leeway.

I guess it'd be efficacious to apply a little CopperEase between the moving parts?

And there's no reason why the size of the hex head would be any different, is there?

I think I'll email them and get them to continue with the order :).

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Got wobble bolts on my 147, no different to using standard bolts tbh and got locking ones included for the same price and they are all still 17mm same as standard so didn't need to swap my brace in the spare wheel.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
For some reason the wobble bolts fited to my 156 are a different hex size to the std bolts and the car's wheelbrace won't fit. So worth checking just to be sure.

I keep meaning to put the correct size wheelbrace in the car but haven't quite managed it yet. Only had the car 4 years....

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Early 156 had 19mm hex wheel bolts, later 156 and all 147 & GT had 17mm.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got a set of wheels / tyres from MyTyres last year for my Volvo. Very impressed with their service - they arrived in a few days from order. My Dezent 17" alloys are still looking like brand new after 1 winter's use. The balance weights were nicely hidden and they used really good looking all metal valves and caps.

Out of interest, mine were £205 each for Nokian WR-A3 225/50 R17 98V tyres on Dezent TD 17" rims

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice to hear the Dezents last well, makes me even happier that I got a full set of 4 with winter tyres for 500 squids! :thumbs:

And yes, I've already found mytyres very good, I got my 18" Dunlop Sportmaxxes from them, fast delivery and a very good price - about £100 per corner, IIRC?.

Brilliant tyres apart from the rim protector not being very substantial, but that's not their fault.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am thinking of buying Semperith Speed Grip 2 in 185/65-15 in pair with an steel rims from GTV ... what do you think about the tyres? They are in my 200 euro budget, together with Barum and Hankook, I read them as best in all reviews from what I can get for my budget.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wheels/tyres arrived today!

Very happy, the rims look pretty nice and the tyres look the business.

I won't know if they're any good of course, until I fit them when the weather gets colder.

Will report back then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts