Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Needed..... :)

I´ve got an 1996 Alfa 155 1,8 TS 8V.

It reaches 3000 rpm at 100 km/h - 60mph in 5th gear - Is this right?? Too many rpm my common sense say.

I´ve got a Squadra chip in it - could this be the reason.

I´ve only got for three weeks and the chip was epuipped when I got it.

Thanks for your help

John - Copenhagen Denmark :)

P.S. Can any of you help me with the standard HP for the car, as it´s never reached Danish catalogues - 126HP or 129HP I´m confused - Not that it matters too much, just love my redhead........

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Well I had a 1.8 16v TS and I remembered it seemed quite high on revs. Can't remember exactly, but I think it sat at 4,000rmp at 80-85mph. Always thought it needed a sixth gear :rolleyes:

BUT don't take my word for it. I'm sure the 155 buddies will be along to advise soon ;)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kurzon said:
Well I had a 1.8 16v TS and I remembered it seemed quite high on revs. Can't remember exactly, but I think it sat at 4,000rmp at 80-85mph. Always thought it needed a sixth gear :rolleyes:

BUT don't take my word for it. I'm sure the 155 buddies will be along to advise soon ;)
Thanks for the quick reply - I´ve been told that you can´t compare with the 16V - but what do I know - I´m not a mechanic ;)

M

·
0 Posts
The 1.8litre 8v does 20mph per 1000rpm in top.
My Silverstone was the same as your car.....60mph at 3000rpm, 80mph at 4000rpm etc etc.

It's funny as my V6 is doing 100mph at 4000rpm.

The 1.8litre 8v has really strange power and torque curves. Max power on my Silverstone was at 6500rpm with Squadra (6100rpm with Autodelta) and max torque was at 5500rpm with both chips.
You'll notice that at higher revs the car seems to have a lot of "go" as the torque and power curves are similair. Very little below about 3500rpm, then they shoot upwards very quickly.

Do you notice the flat spot at about 4000rpm ??? I did.
Check out the graphs on this page.....

http://www.squadra-tuning.com/English/EN_alfa_155_18_TS.htm

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
jorila said:
Help Needed..... :)

I´ve got an 1996 Alfa 155 1,8 TS 8V.

It reaches 3000 rpm at 100 km/h - 60mph in 5th gear - Is this right?? Too many rpm my common sense say.

I´ve got a Squadra chip in it - could this be the reason.
Hi mate, the chip won't make any difference to the gearing at all.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
marlon said:
The 1.8litre 8v does 20mph per 1000rpm in top.
My Silverstone was the same as your car.....60mph at 3000rpm, 80mph at 4000rpm etc etc.

It's funny as my V6 is doing 100mph at 4000rpm.

The 1.8litre 8v has really strange power and torque curves. Max power on my Silverstone was at 6500rpm with Squadra (6100rpm with Autodelta) and max torque was at 5500rpm with both chips.
You'll notice that at higher revs the car seems to have a lot of "go" as the torque and power curves are similair. Very little below about 3500rpm, then they shoot upwards very quickly.

Do you notice the flat spot at about 4000rpm ??? I did.
Check out the graphs on this page.....

http://www.squadra-tuning.com/English/EN_alfa_155_18_TS.htm
Thanks for the reply.

Your perfectly correct about the revs all the way.
I´m glad to know my car is in the right condition.

I would like a V6, but the Danish insurrance companies goes mad, when a 26 year old want´s more than a 1,8.... :confused:

W

·
0 Posts
Oh dear Fletch....you really haven't been paying attention have you...punishment is to go and read my article a hundred times ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
@Marlon - my V6 only does 90 at 4000rpm... what tyres you running? I have the normal 205/50x15 at the mo'.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
@ Ralph S: Tyre size won't make any difference to the speedo reading- only the actual speed and hence speedo accuracy.

M

·
0 Posts
Ralf S. said:
@Marlon - my V6 only does 90 at 4000rpm... what tyres you running? I have the normal 205/50x15 at the mo'.

Ralf S.
Ralf I'm guessing yours is a skinnybody V6 ???

I'm on standard size tyres, but the earlier V6's had different gearing.
We've had this on another 155 site and we worked out the skinnys were all reading 90mph at 4000rpm and the widebodys have slightly longer gearing. It means the skinnys that are slightly more powerful should accelerate quicker, but according to the figures they don't, so must have slightly longer 1st and 2nd gears then.

Now you'll tell me that you have a widebody

1 - 13 of 13 Posts