Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was part one of fitting new black diamond siscs front and rear + replacing the dropliks.

NSF got done first, no problems there, though I have to admit the drop link was a learning curve :rolleyes:

OSF though had other ideas, the nuts holding the spacer and disc together were seized and like a jackass mule werent going nowhere. Eventually after alot of effort both of them sheered off leaving me with a thread in each hole which needs drilling out and replacement nuts to be fitted :rant: The drop link on that side was a litte easier once I worked out the the correct sequence to do it in. Putting the wheel on was a pain due to the lack of botls holding the disc and spacer still :(

OSR was next, changed the disc and cleaned the caliper and bracket, but **** me if I could push the caliper piston back to fit new pads. It started raining, I was knackered, wet and angry at point and called it a day by fitting the old pads on the new disc to take me home for the night.

Went on a little test ride soon afterwards and 2 miles into it, a knocking sound appeared from the front of the car, anything over 20mph and its noticable, turning right is very noticable, and it seems to be coming from the OSF. I dont think its the gearbox, and Im not sure if I have damaged the hub/cv joint whilst lifting the unit with a jack to fit the new droplink.

The thing that tickles me is what it could be. I cant see it being the disc as there are 4 bolts holding it in place when the wheel is on, but its the side where the bolts sheered off, also it wasnt apparent straight away on the test drive.

Today is part 2 where I will attempt to finish both rears, but I'll be dammned if I'm going to spend an hour trying to push each caliper piston back. I have to find a tool that will give me the leverage I need to do the job in minutes, then move to the OSF and re-check everything in an attempt to find out where this knocking is coming from as its loud and it doesnt sound healthy at all.

I certainly didnt bargain for ending up as I did yesterday and Im pretty dissapointed right now. Well time is money and Im off to face the music now.

Any ideas of where I can aquire two front disc and spacer holding bolts from?

Hum :mad:

·
Administrator
46,146 Posts
Humour said:
OSF though had other ideas, the nuts holding the spacer and disc together were seized and like a jackass mule werent going nowhere. Eventually after alot of effort both of them sheered off leaving me with a thread in each hole which needs drilling out and replacement nuts to be fitted :rant:
Not sure about the rest, but I can give some advice on this bit, sicne it happened to me with my 145. I went to a great deal of time and trouble doing exactly what you've suggested - drilling out. After having done so though, I realised it was a waste of time. Those nuts are only there to hold it together while the wheel isn't on. Once the wheel is on, the wheel bolts hold everything together.
As long as they've sheered off at a point which means you can rest the spacer on them, I don't think there's any need to replace.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
The calipers on the rear, the pistons do not push back - they need to turn back, you can do it with big grips but halfords and the like sell a special piston wind back tool for about £6 - £10.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I inquired with Halfords today and Im currently waiting for my friend to finish work who then the give me a lift to go buy the tool.

On the note of the screws yes you can rest the spacer and disc on the sheered off bolts, but just. Also because the centre bore of the spacer is larger than that of the hub, it sits ackward and makes changing the wheel/tyre a right pain.

My biggest concern at the moment is what may have gone wrong at the front. I need my car for work during the week and I hope I can at least diagnose the problem as its loud enough to worry me driving the car around as is.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Humour said:
Putting the wheel on was a pain due to the lack of botls holding the disc and spacer still :(
Alfa p/n 60592087 (cost about £6 new) may help there, it is a stud like thing that you screw into one wheel bolt hole to make it easier to get the wheel on.
In your case it would also keep the disc and spacer still.

It is supplied as part of the toolkit with all Alfas that came after the 155, but as they all use the same 12x1.25mm thread it should fit a 155 too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup they are the 15" pepperpots that came standard with most 1995-1996 cars.

Unfortunately the spacer centre bore is larger probably 2mm so because the sheered off bolts are only showing enough to hold the disc in place the spacer has to sit on the centre of the hub which means the holes are slightly off. The way I got around this is to fit the spacer on the wheel using the bolts for the wheel then fit the whole thing on the hub.

The brake disc holes for the main bols are also a slightly larger in diameter, but fortunately the sheered off studs/bolts are just showing enough to rest the disc onto so not to have a similar problem as the spacer.

Its more of a nusance than anything else tbh, the knocking on the front however is a much bigger problem. Im almost inclined to think I have somehow (I was very careful) damaged the hub bearing or CV joint, or worse a driveshaft. Thats what I'll be looking into today after 1pm with my friend.

Hum

P.S. Thanks David C, will look into that part number soon.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Humour said:
Its more of a nusance than anything else tbh, the knocking on the front however is a much bigger problem. Im almost inclined to think I have somehow (I was very careful) damaged the hub bearing or CV joint, or worse a driveshaft. Thats what I'll be looking into today after 1pm with my friend.
I would be very suprised if you damaged the CV joint, did it even get taken out of the hub?

I spent hours absolutely bashing the crap out of a joint on mine (changing a CV boot was not fun!) They can take such a pounding and I was using a big metal mallet!!
Did you undo the hub nut?

Ah, a thought - check very carefully the metal dust cover thing beind the disk - its known for catching if it gets bent during work like this - it will click and make a lot of nasty sound if its not straight - its possably touching the disk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No the CV joint was not touched, the area was used as leverage to pop out the wishbone socket to give me the room the take off and fit the Drop Link.

Two areas to check today are that particular joint and the bolt that goes across it to make sure its seating properly and the disc cover as mentioned. Thanks for the feedback.

I've just had a word with 155 V6 1000, who mentioned that drilling the sheered bolts off is alot of work for litle return as it doesnt affect the disc from operatiing properly. Might still do the job if I have time after I manage to fix the knocking issue and get the rears finished.

Thanks all of you for your feedback.

Its time to go do some work now :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts