Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I don't mean like 0-60 as that does not really show how 'fast' a car can be, what I mean is in gear acceleration. This is what shocks me most about the GTA is that it's just crazy through the gears :D

Point be made is that a few months back on the way home from Ace I was able to keep pace with a Boxster S coming off a round-a-bout, now I was not gaining at all but it was not pulling away so was pretty even so I was rather chuffed about that ;)

So just how quick is a GTA?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
My opinion... the "in gear acceleration" you speak about makes itself felt because so many other cars beg to be changed gear much earlier than busso powered cars. Hence it appears to give you an edge that is not really there. When cars are tested properly to get figures the true differences become apparent.

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
I very rarely accelerate properly hard in 2nd. The nature of the roads I'm generally doing my overtaking on means 3rd.

So on those rare occasions, it really does startle me how quickly it takes off in second from about 30mph.

And when I say startle, I mean it usually results in my hitting the rev limiter. :lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
For me the GTA is quick but I've been in much quicker, it's all about the sound of the V6, the luxury feel, and the endless pulling gears..

not many cars become a part of the family like a GTA does.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah sounds about right then :)

Is a bit interesting though that some GTAs are better than other when they are near enough identical :lol:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Standard rev limiter is way too low, Ive learnt to change gear early in the sportwagon, remap and higher rev limit is a must IMO.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how come these feel quick but as Joe said 'realistically' they ain't?

Standard rev limiter is way too low, Ive learnt to change gear early in the sportwagon, remap and higher rev limit is a must IMO.
Aye I have been caught out by the rev limit a few times so just need to get the hang of changing gear before you think :thumbs:

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
Not all GTA's are equal, there are definitely faster ones and slower ones.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So when does it hit the limiter (revs)
Well mine cuts in just before 7k...something like 6800k I think is the actual figure though

Not all GTA's are equal, there are definitely faster ones and slower ones.
That probably explains why some magazines have got different stats for when they tested the GTA, like I have a article in my HUGE folder with the GTA where they tested 0-100-0 times and the GTA was easily the quickest with 0-60 time in 5.69 secs and 0-100 in 14.1 :D

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Think it also depends on cars you have been in or driven before. Before i got my GTA the engines in the cars i owned were

1 litre

To me, the GTA feels fast but if i had owned a few faster cars in my time then it may feel different to what it does :)

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Think it also depends on cars you have been in or driven before. Before i got my GTA the engines in the cars i owned were

1 litre

To me, the GTA feels fast but if i had owned a few faster cars in my time then it may feel different to what it does :)
That may have something to do with it, I went from a...

1.6 147twinny
2.0 145QV with bits done to it
1.1 Cinq Sporting

:)

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
G

·
0 Posts
Engine build tolerances in the factory, or "lack of QC on tolerances" Almost hand built feel.... Thats why some alfa's use lots of oil and other don't use any.

Having driven Evo's, Scooby's on a regular basis, there is no comparison to GTA's, it may be slower on figures but as many have already stated, the in gear surge is endless with a Busso so seams quicker than what it is... Turbo cars are all or nothing and run out of puff very quickly, especially up inclines where the Busso rules with V6 natural torque = less gear changes so... Scooby's and the ILK feel gutless in comparison.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It's an interesting one, I built up to the gta with various 1 litres, then got a 1.9 jtdm and was hooked. Loved the car but wanted noise :) realistically my remapped 1.9 wasn't a million miles off the gta speed.. but much more fun in a gta and you can't scare pedestrians with a diesel lump. Those cinqs are funny as.. had one this week as a curtesy car..it felt not too bad until I used the tiny wipers and then it was pure borat. Did about 80 miles tho, all with the petrol light on and it didn't seem to drop at all?! Does make you think.. but only briefly. Love finding 1.6s in the road and showing them what alfa is all about! Who cares if its that fast or not.. or we'd all be in Japanese turbos

1 - 20 of 108 Posts