Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just though t I would post this as when I was debating on whether to have a remap or not I trawled through post after post of remap stuff but never really found a thread that gave me a definative answer to my 'should I get a remap?' question. So if anyone like me is umm'ing and rrrr'ing over whether to have one or not i'd say yes, definately! The power is great (it wasn't bad before mind). The torque difference is very notable and 2nd and 3rd gears are awesome.

So to summarise, if anyone is unsure on whether to have a remap, I'd highly recommend doing so. :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Good man, knew you'd like it. :D :D

2nd feels more like 1st and very easy to hit the red line, 3rd feels like 2nd and pulls like a train up through 4th? When you stop driving like a 17 year old in a Saxo the fuel economy should have improved an mpg or 2 too

... and the only downside is 5th and 6th slip the clutch like a biatch in mine so there's a kevlar plated clutch waiting in my shed to go in when it finally gives up.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The power is much more instant too and doesn't come in as a hefty lump of torque, more of a smooth wave.

I'll bear that in mind about the clutch.

Can't wait to finish work and get back in it now!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glad you like!!
I had the same done to my GT. Clutch was a bit of an issue and I have now (as of yesterday) had that replaced with an uprated one and had a Q2 diff fitted at the same time.:eek: WOW what a difference!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a remap too in my 159ti - result is awesome.
I wonder if may this cause a trouble in the engine in long term like exhausting the engine / parts earlier then expected and shorten the lifetime?
I was told it is now 190 hp and 380nm.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the jtd 150 (originally) so I presume mine be around the same figures? it certainly feels like it.

I was assured that the map that was put on my car will not cause any damage to compoents as the car can 'handle it'. Only time will tell I suppose, although any faulty parts could be coincidental and were going to break anyway....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did they not put it on a rolling road so they could see exactly what the gains where?
No - they did not.. since it is qtronic, not possible to see the gains on a rolling road. They told that on manual transmission can be seen but not on automatic ones.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Who did it for you?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine was also done without the rolling road. Ideally I'd liked the RR, but I can't see it making a masive differnce in the stats of the remap, you just know your cars bhp and torque.

Red dot did mine BTW.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine was also done without the rolling road. Ideally I'd liked the RR, but I can't see it making a masive differnce in the stats of the remap, you just know your cars bhp and torque.

Red dot did mine BTW.
What they sent somebody out to map your car.....I thought they only recommend to ..."CUSTOM"... tune on their RR!!!:wow:

Isn't that the rason most of the "!!PROS!!" look down at AT!!! cos they only do curbside tuning!!

Having said that you are right about tuning a car is also about driving experience rather than squeezing the last drop of hp out of an engine!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The map that has been used on mine will be very similar to one that would have written from scratch, had I used the roling road, so the difference between me travelling a huge distance down to Enfield to use the RR would not be worth it as the it not be all that noticable.

I cant see how a roadside remap would be any diffeent to a remap done in a garage without a rolling road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The map that has been used on mine will be very similar to one that would have written from scratch, had I used the roling road, so the difference between me travelling a huge distance down to Enfield to use the RR would not be worth it as the it not be all that noticable.

I cant see how a roadside remap would be any diffeent to a remap done in a garage without a rolling road.
Well said m8.:thumbs: .. there is nothing wrong with a good generic map that has been developed and tested on many cars...and as you say what difference does it make if it is done at your house or in a garage!

As long as the retune suits your style of driving and is value for money...does it matter?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hia guys was thinking of getting mine done, i got a 150bhp jtd mjet, is it worth me doing owt with it? also where would i get it done in the north west and what kind of price should i expect?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hia guys was thinking of getting mine done, i got a 150bhp jtd mjet, is it worth me doing owt with it? also where would i get it done in the north west and what kind of price should i expect?

Alfa Tuner is in your part of the world and he has had good write ups from other AO forum users - send him a PM.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Isnt the whole point of re-map to have it custom mapped for your specific engine?
No the whole point of a remap is to make your car go faster! (for me anyway).

I had a generic map, and Im not disappointed, so where's the issue? :)

D

·
0 Posts
Same here Jaywood.

My JTD is no different to any other JTD out there so a standard map for a standard engine. If I had a sports exhaust, intake, turbo, intercooler or injectors I'd go for a custom map. It's about increasing power, torque, smoothing out the delivery and economy. If something has been tried and tested on hundreds of other cars I'm happy.

And go for it Noz, the difference it makes to the diesel engines is great. Use the search, loads of info on here already on who's good and prices.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts