Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just out with the parents, and came back home along my favourite road. Before I start, I was not racing and it is a stretch of quiet dual carriageway.

Anyway was having a bit of fun and passed a renault scenic, but realised when I went to move back into the nearside lane he was trying to keep up. As you would expect, it wasn't long before there was a big gap, especially after a couple of roundabouts with the Q2 now :cool:.

Anyway I got to the traffic lights at the top of a hill, and he caught me up and was in the next lane. When I looked across he had a huuuge grin on his face looked at my car and gave me a nod of approval :cool:

I can only guess the ear bending he was getting from his missus for trying to keep up with me, but I guess if he didn't have 2.4 children he wouldn't have a scenic :lol:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
:D ;) :thumbs:

Sometimes real life gets in the way of dreams. Nice to see he didn't resent you living yours.:)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Come on now.....

A new Children Carrier (even a French one) is going to cost substantially more than a 5 year old average miles 156 GTA....I've got two kids and wouldn't dream of ferrying the little-un's around in a Kiddie-bus...

They'd be mortified !!!!:)

Many people I know ***** about not having a performance car and attribute their Motoring affliction to having little people....this though in my opinion is absolute TOSH !!!

Other than the recent ridiculous Road Tax increase and the ever increasing cost of a Litre of Unleaded (which effects everyone) the ownership of a performance car for those who desire one is not that wallet emptying as many think !!!

Now if ya only doing 6000 - 12000 miles a year why potter around in a bloody soul destroying Citreon - Salvador Dali when you've only got a couple of kids ???!!

I'm sick of hearing....
"It's got a warranty".....Well buy a sports car for less and buy ya own poxy warranty ????

"It only cost £10,000 and it's newer than your Alfa".....SO !!! its a bloody plastic washing up bowl with a food blender engine !!!!

"It' got more room than your Alfa".......How Fecking big are your Kids !!!???

BE A MAN !!!
TELL YOUR WIFE TO FUND HER OWN BLOODY CAR !!!
BUY A BLOODY SUPERCAR AND PUT YA FINGERS UP TO THE GREENS AND THOSE TOSSERS AT WHITEHALL !!!!

VIVA LA REVOLUTION....

Sod it I'm gonna sell the Misses and Kids and Buy a Ford GT !!!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The scenic was older than my GTA :lol:

I do remember seeing an integrale at brooklands one year, with two baby seats in the back :) Now there's a man determined not to give up his performance car :lol:

·
Registered
678 Posts
I got a nod of approval at the weekend from a driver of new Maserati Gran Sport in the GT Blackline I am currently driving.

Almost as good as the nod I got from the Murielago driver when I was in the GTA.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
You sure the nod wasn't when the electronic handbrake came on suddenly?:): What a contraption of a thing that was! Kept 'nutting' the windscreen! Stupid idea.:(:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Wasn't me though I now proudly drive around in a Scenic, its quite nice, not very quick, would have taken the guy ages to catch you :D as has been said real life considerations are why I traded my GT for one, rides nice, can't feel or hear a thing, even at 100mph you can have a conversation with people in the 3rd row, couldn't manage that with my passenger in any Alfa I've been in without raised voices, never mind people behind, oh and it was cheap and its got a warranty Jimmy :p :lol: feels very well built, I quite impressed with it, won't snap the little nippers neck when I go over a speed bump or pothole too which is a bonus.

Its for a very different purpose though than my Alfa was and it does that job very well, don't even have to granny it for 50 odd mpg either which is not bad for a 1600kg bus that has a DPF, how do the new Alfas get it so wrong from their diesels, they are more aerodynamic, lighter but even grannying it I couldn't get 40mpg out of the 159/Brera 1.9 or 2.4.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wasn't me though I now proudly drive around in a Scenic, its quite nice, not very quick, would have taken the guy ages to catch you :D as has been said real life considerations are why I traded my GT for one, rides nice, can't feel or hear a thing, even at 100mph you can have a conversation with people in the 3rd row, couldn't manage that with my passenger in any Alfa I've been in without raised voices, never mind people behind, oh and it was cheap and its got a warranty Jimmy :p :lol: feels very well built, I quite impressed with it, won't snap the little nippers neck when I go over a speed bump or pothole too which is a bonus.

Its for a very different purpose though than my Alfa was and it does that job very well, don't even have to granny it for 50 odd mpg either which is not bad for a 1600kg bus that has a DPF, how do the new Alfas get it so wrong from their diesels, they are more aerodynamic, lighter but even grannying it I couldn't get 40mpg out of the 159/Brera 1.9 or 2.4.
I know they do a job......but what annoys me is when friends with 1 or 2 children say "I'd have another Sports car if it wasn't for the kids"

??????? You've only got 1 !!!!!! And he / she is 21 !!!!!:lol:

If you've got three kids then a Kiddie Carrier is a must !!! any less then IMO it's a bit daft really ??!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I do remember seeing an integrale at brooklands one year, with two baby seats in the back :) Now there's a man determined not to give up his performance car :lol:
I used to have a Fiat barchetta before I bought my GTA. I sold my barchetta to a collegue of mine two years ago. At that time he was married with no children. A few weeks ago he told me that they've had their first child recently but they are definitely keeping the barchetta. He told me that his wife has already driven the barchetta with the kid on the baby seat - and that has apparently raised a few eyebrows.

Oh and by the way the barchetta is their only car although they have access to another car occasionally if necessary.

·
Registered
271 Posts
haha, funny little story and posts above.

waiting for someone to put a megane R26 engine and suspension in a scenic, then it might be a bit more even. LOL.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I've got to say that not a month goes by where I keep thinking "people carrier" - keep the Alfa and get a people carrier. I've got a 7 and 2 year old - with "baby" Recaro seats, and if you are anything more than 12cm wide - no way can I get anyone else in between the seats.

With the baby seats out, I can get 3 adults in the back in "relative" comfort.....

So - I can't give a ride to my sons friends or get anyone else in the car. I won't give up the GTA, and I'm sure I'll end up also getting a Diesel Zafira (or the like). I could make myself afford having two cars - when at the moment I don't really need the one I've got. So I do very much understand why people say "if it were not for the kids" I would have a sports car....

So now the mad crazy thing is......

I'm thinking about getting an X1/9 as a toy for the summer !!!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got to say that not a month goes by where I keep thinking "people carrier" - keep the Alfa and get a people carrier. I've got a 7 and 2 year old - with "baby" Recaro seats, and if you are anything more than 12cm wide - no way can I get anyone else in between the seats.

With the baby seats out, I can get 3 adults in the back in "relative" comfort.....

So - I can't give a ride to my sons friends or get anyone else in the car. I won't give up the GTA, and I'm sure I'll end up also getting a Diesel Zafira (or the like). I could make myself afford having two cars - when at the moment I don't really need the one I've got. So I do very much understand why people say "if it were not for the kids" I would have a sports car....

So now the mad crazy thing is......

I'm thinking about getting an X1/9 as a toy for the summer !!!

If you get an X1/9, you're going to have to take me for a spin in it :)

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Eddie... at least it was a bird with pink hair in a Micra :p

:lol:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I know how the guy feels ... I've been driving a 7 seater Citron C4 Picasso this week ... I don't think "the alfa wave" would work coming from one of those ... :thumbs:
Funny you should say that. Watched a GTA and a GTV have a drag* away from some lights in Heilbronn (Germany) the other night.

Wanted to give them a wave but they might have thought it was a ****-take coming from a Kia C'e'e'd'

*The GTA won BTW.:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts