Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About an hour ago I was driving to get petrol in my 147. Everything was fine and I've never had a problem with it. So I'm stopped at the lights for about 2 min and the temperature Gage randomly rises and I get a warning. Then I take off and it goes back to normal temperature. Then I stop again and it rises a little bit then I take off and it's fine. I'm on my way home and I stop at the same lights and the temperature doesn't rise this time. What can this be??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like the fan. If you turn the blowers to hot while stationary does this reduce the engine temp? When you're driving the air will be being forced through the radiator when you're stationary the fan should kick in to keep the temperature down.

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Check the fan resistor.
(located in the fan housing just under the top hose)

·
Registered
66 Posts
About an hour ago I was driving to get petrol in my 147. Everything was fine and I've never had a problem with it. So I'm stopped at the lights for about 2 min and the temperature Gage randomly rises and I get a warning. Then I take off and it goes back to normal temperature. Then I stop again and it rises a little bit then I take off and it's fine. I'm on my way home and I stop at the same lights and the temperature doesn't rise this time. What can this be??
i have the same problem with my 2.0 156 when im stationary for more than a few minutes ,it seemed to have stopped working since it had its MOT in sept,i was told it could be the fan relay ,havent got round to doing it yet and 8months later i still havent done it but ive sort of got used to it and i turn my engine off if i know im not gonna move for a while,not ideal but like i said ive got used to it so it doesnt realy bother me..but i will sort it eventualy...let us know when you locate the problem as in all probabilty its the same as mine...cheers:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
i have the same problem with my 2.0 156 when im stationary for more than a few minutes ,it seemed to have stopped working since it had its MOT in sept,i was told it could be the fan relay ,havent got round to doing it yet and 8months later i still havent done it but ive sort of got used to it and i turn my engine off if i know im not gonna move for a while,not ideal but like i said ive got used to it so it doesnt realy bother me..but i will sort it eventualy...let us know when you locate the problem as in all probabilty its the same as mine...cheers:thumbs:
:
Check the fan resistor.
(located in the fan housing just under the top hose)

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
High speed is one of the large relays and the low speed relay is a small one in (I think and will check) in a black base.
Edit: the above was in reply to "guss" with his 156, but he removed his question after I posted!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So helpful!! When I'm leaving for uni in a cuple of hours I'll check the fan and other things you guys suggested. I'll let you know. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts